8 passenger vehicle typically 5 for <=$15k

Status
Not open for further replies.
We are interested in an 8 passenger vehicle that seats 5 in two rows with lots of cargo under $15k and
Wife likes Sienna and Honda Pilot. Looking to keep around 5 years and move on.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by Miller88
How about a 3/4 ton passenger van? Used they go cheap

This is true! My Dad used one as a carpet cleaning van. 5.3L Vortec. Got 430K miles on that engine/trans before the body rusted out of the vehicle due to the water/chemicals.

Originally Posted by Miller88
How about a 3/4 ton passenger van? Used they go cheap
The only 3/4 passenger vans I see are the extended 16 passenger models. A 1/2 ton is more that sufficient.

I wouldn't want one as a daily, I have plenty of experience driving my Dad's old G30 extended and it feels like driving a bus. GM's van chassis is old enough to have completed a master's now (1997 IIRC).

Originally Posted by madRiver
We are interested in an 8 passenger vehicle that seats 5 in two rows with lots of cargo under $15k and

For 8 passenger I vote for a good used 5.3 Suburban.

Originally Posted by Tahoe4Life

For 8 passenger I vote for a good used 5.3 Suburban.

Can you get a good one for under $15K that has another 5 years/150K miles in it?

Sienna. In your price range, the Pilot will be from the era with awful VCM issues.

Here's an example of the Pilot/Odyssey issues from that era:
https://www.bobistheoilguy.com/foru...a-odyssey-spark-plug-fouling#Post5339702

Pilot or Sienna seem like fine ideas. Do you want the off-road capability of an SUV or do you want the capacity of a minivan? Sliding doors are, IMO, fantastic.

Most of the Odysseys out there are 8-passenger (I think the lowest trim and highest trim are 7). I think an 8-passenger Sienna is much rarer.

It really has to be for 8? There's no way a Honda pilot or similar is doing that. Our 2019 Nissan Pathfinder is roomy and can seat 7, but 7 full sized people would be rough for any length of time and forget about cargo space with any more than 4-5 people in it.

The only MVs I'm aware of that will seat 8 are higher end Odysseys and Siennas with the little jump seat mashed between the 2 second row bucket seats. Maybe the new Pacifica has an option for that too?

You're in Expedition XL, Chevy Suburban or church bus territory and somethin' tells me you wouldn't be cool with the fuel economy those offer.

I think the OP is regularly carrying 5, but wants the additional capacity to bring along a total of 8.

We have a family of 6 in an Odyssey, but having the capability of 8 lets us bring along two friends or both grandparents... it's quite useful for us.

In the early 3rd gen Odyssey, the 8th seat could be stowed under the floor... I really liked being able to do that; my current van can't do it.

When someone mentions Toyota and Honda, don't bother recommending a Dodge Grand Caravan, despite it being a better value in the used market and not having the Toyota/Honda tax.

The 4-cylinder Sienna, if you can find one
smile.gif

The Transit Connect may also be available with 8-passenger seating

If not, there are the full-size vans, such as the smallest Sprinter and NV1500/2500 passenger vans

Originally Posted by skyactiv
When someone mentions Toyota and Honda, don't bother recommending a Dodge Grand Caravan, despite it being a better value in the used market and not having the Toyota/Honda tax.

If they have a up to 8 passenger seating or 3 in middle row I may be interested. I only know them to be 7 .

Originally Posted by skyactiv

If they have a up to 8 passenger seating or 3 in middle row I may be interested. I only know them to be 7 .

8-passenger Siennas exist
smile.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back