Ford....in trouble??

Status
Not open for further replies.
All their vehicles to be equipped with modems by end of this model year? Interesting, along with the comment about "data mining." I am *so* glad my F150 does NOT have the modem. I confirmed that it is not equipped. Aww... no remote start. That's fine w/ me. No real time snooping of my driving habits either.

Originally Posted by LoneRanger
I am *so* glad my F150 does NOT have the modem. I confirmed that it is not equipped. Aww... no remote start. That's fine w/ me. No real time snooping of my driving habits either.

If I'm not mistaken, if you have Sync, then you already have all the mobile hardware (modem) on-board. Just because you did not purchase the mobile plan subscription doesn't mean that Ford isn't currently using it to send some data about your vehicle back to corporate.

Yeah, the OnStar WiFi is only annoying to me since it's cheaper to just have a data plan on my iPhone.
It locks in WiFi and that just blocks cell data since the WiFi does not get internet

A certain amount of vehicle logging exists already, but there is not a way to transmit it yet. Once 5G is completely implemented is when I assume this will become a reality (in my opinion).

Simple choice, stop buying new vehicles for the sake of impressing your family and friends. Keep the older stuff running. Choose a vehicle that is able to do that, (I understand there are bad choices that cant make it past the warranty). Quick example is a crown victoria or toyota camery.

Lastly companies want to profit and not do warranty repairs. Once they piece together your aggressive driving style they will have proof that can be substantiated and void your warranty.

Originally Posted by Fordiesel69
A certain amount of vehicle logging exists already, but there is not a way to transmit it yet.
Is this for Ford specifically, or all vehicles in general?

Originally Posted by Quattro Pete
I am *so* glad my F150 does NOT have the modem. I confirmed that it is not equipped. Aww... no remote start. That's fine w/ me. No real time snooping of my driving habits either.

If I'm not mistaken, if you have Sync, then you already have all the mobile hardware (modem) on-board. Just because you did not purchase the mobile plan subscription doesn't mean that Ford isn't currently using it to send some data about your vehicle back to corporate.

Nevermind. My bad. Apparently if you don't have FordPass Connect, then you don't have a modem.

Originally Posted by Quattro Pete

Isn't it just 4G LTE now? Even so in the future, once 5G is everywhere, it'd be extremely unlikely because without the subscription, Ford would have to be paying for the monthly cellular data plan themselves.

I suppose a paranoid person could worry that it would operate in an opportunistic wifi mode and send data over wifi once it finds an open access point, but it's pretty easy to scan a vehicle to see if there's a wifi signal operating.

Last edited:
When I get a RF tire pressure alert half way around the world something is linked

Originally Posted by Dave9
Isn't it just 4G LTE now? Even so in the future, once 5G is everywhere, it'd be extremely unlikely because without the subscription, Ford would have to be paying for the monthly cellular data plan themselves.
Those M2M type mobile plans are very inexpensive. Plus, Ford has leverage to negotiate good pricing on such plans with mobile carriers, so what they pay for such plans "en masse" is peanuts compared to what you and I would pay. We are talking less than a dollar a month. If there is enough benefit in collecting real time data from vehicles, Ford will pay it. But I don't know that there is. They may be OK with just collecting that data in non-real time when the vehicle comes in for service.

Ford escaped the bailout fate of GM and Mopar by getting a bunch of loans/financing just prior to the last recession/depression. They got lucky with their timing of credit is all. They are now on the cusp of something bad.

If you've got a 'flood of data' emanating from your recently assembled vehicles..... you're doing it wrong.
This company has been begging for correction for more than ten years.
Ceding the entry level market was the worst decision a company that wants to be around in twenty years could make.

Originally Posted by vw7674
If you've got a 'flood of data' emanating from your recently assembled vehicles..... you're doing it wrong.
This company has been begging for correction for more than ten years.
Ceding the entry level market was the worst decision a company that wants to be around in twenty years could make.

So you are saying they should lose money just to stay in the small car business? Look what that did to Nissan. A race to the bottom for low or negative margin sales. Regardless of what you want to think, the car market shrinks every year. Even Honda and Toyota are feeling it. They hyperbole that Ford is brink is asinine. Yet, mostly because Wall Street is infatuated with Tesla for some unknown reason, all you hear is doom and gloom.

Originally Posted by sloinker
Ford escaped the bailout fate of GM and Mopar by getting a bunch of loans/financing just prior to the last recession/depression. They got lucky with their timing of credit is all. They are now on the cusp of something bad.

I really don't think long term Ford can be a stand-alone-company. The scenario where they are merged with another company or bought by the Chinese in less than ten years (maybe even five) is VERY LIKELY.

The F150 sales are flat. The 2021 spy shots surfacing on the web will appeal to the loyalists-but this is a growth segment and you need conquest sales-RAM is an excellent example of a vehicle that is good enough to draw pickup buyers away from other makes.

The redesign-which really looks more like a "refresh" isn't anything special.

Ford cars are junk in my opinion. My previous Ford was my last. 2017 Focus RS and Ford couldn't get a head gasket correct. It's a good thing Ford cut production on their cars. They were building garbage cars. Incompetent dealership techs completely botched a Head Gasket recall. Sir your car needs a new long block after we determined the recall was preformed incorrectly by the original dealership. No thanks, I'll pass. California Lemon Laws worked out well.

Ford is going the way of Studebaker. By cutting out cars they are no longer a full time auto maker they are a niche player, regardless of current size or market share. Despite fads and trends cars are not going anywhere and it just takes $4 gas again like 10 years ago or the next economic downturn to move people back to cars. Where will Ford be then? Gone.

Good ridence! That's business. Either grow, adapter or fail and Ford has been failing for a long time.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back