Selling Vehicle CL / FB asking price

Status
Not open for further replies.
Since it an Acura, but the same holds for Honda and Toyota, I would put it up for sale as is. Plenty of people think these are "bullet proof" and are willing to pay good money no matter their condition.
If this was an American or Korean SUV, scrap would be the only option.

Originally Posted by KrisZ
Since it an Acura, but the same holds for Honda and Toyota, I would put it up for sale as is.

You actually think the OP is going sell this with a warranty?

Originally Posted by atikovi
Since it an Acura, but the same holds for Honda and Toyota, I would put it up for sale as is.

Rules vary from state to state... In my state (MO), the seller is required to have a recent safety inspection and, if applicable, emissions -- even private sellers. In my experience, this is never done. Still, the existence of the law would give a buyer a lot of leverage to return a "lemon" if it fails to pass inspection.

NH seems to have a special form for letting buyers know a car is unsafe, but I have no idea if it applies to private sellers.

Originally Posted by brages

Rules vary from state to state... In my state (MO), the seller is required to have a recent safety inspection and, if applicable, emissions -- even private sellers. In my experience, this is never done. Still, the existence of the law would give a buyer a lot of leverage to return a "lemon" if it fails to pass inspection.

NH seems to have a special form for letting buyers know a car is unsafe, but I have no idea if it applies to private sellers.

A warranty is a whole different thing than having a current inspection sticker.

Originally Posted by eljefino
Originally Posted by madRiver

The Auto Salvage place will offer $429 for it.

I bet the catalytic converter is worth $429.
lol.gif

LOL! No doubt based on a post or two here lately.

If you've got the clean title in hand, why not try it on FB marketplace for a week or three. You'll get the standard nonsense to weed out, but at least it's only keystrokes to get through.

I am mulling on FB/CL for a couple weeks vs the best bid on it thus far is a local copart offering $700 driven to location 20 mins away.

If I got $1200 worth the hassle of selling dealing with people.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by brages

A warranty is a whole different thing than having a current inspection sticker.

"As is" condition doesn't apply only to warranty. I have always sold my cars in "as is" condition, meaning the buyer was responsible for everything required in order to transfer the ownership and register the vehicle under his/her name. If that means passing safety, emission inspections, or anything else, it would be on their dime.
If I knew the car would pass emissions, for example, I would do the test myself and include this information in my add. But the add would still include "as is".

I never implied that OP should offer some sort of warranty, that would be silly, even on a much newer vehicle, as a private sale, of course.

Last edited:

"As is" condition doesn't apply only to warranty. I have always sold my cars in "as is" condition, meaning the buyer was responsible for everything required in order to transfer the ownership and register the vehicle under his/her name. If that means passing safety, emission inspections, or anything else, it would be on their dime.
If I knew the car would pass emissions, for example, I would do the test myself and include this information in my add. But the add would still include "as is".

I never implied that OP should offer some sort of warranty, that would be silly, even on a much newer vehicle, as a private sale, of course.

This is slightly off-topic, but in CA, you can only sell a car on a true "as-is" basis if you re-register it as a non-operational vehicle and sold it as a parts car. You cannot sell a vehicle as an operational automobile unless it is passes emissions prior to the transfer of ownership.

Originally Posted by The Critic

This is slightly off-topic, but in CA, you can only sell a car on a true "as-is" basis if you re-register it as a non-operational vehicle and sold it as a parts car. You cannot sell a vehicle as an operational automobile unless it is passes emissions prior to the transfer of ownership.

That is ridiculous. Sounds like something the auto repair lobby created. I thought as a free country you are free to sell your property unfettered. So somebody that wants to buy a cheap fixer upper that won't pass emissions can't because of this? Why don't they do this in the housing industry. You can't sell your house unless it passes government inspections for lead, asbestos, radon, mold, termites, etc. and a house flipper can't buy it either except to tear it down.

When selling a vehicle privately it never hurts to write up a bill of sale that specifically states " Vehicle is being sold as/is with no warranty expressed or implied" . Then have both yourself and the buyer sign it, make them a copy for them and keep the original for your records. Is it legally necessary in most states? No. Does it protect you as the seller from a potentially dishonest or just poorly informed buyer in our overly litigious society? Absolutely

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back