2010 Honda Element 127K miles valvetrain picture

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello:

A friend of mine has always liked my Honda Element so he decided to buy one himself. He lives in Arizona and found a nice one owner vehicle at a high volume used car dealer. After buying he drove it to my home in California. We did a complete maintenance on it; engine oil and filter, transmission oil and filter, power steering fluid, brake bleed, coolant change, engine air filter, cabin filter, serpentine belt - and a valve adjustment.

Although his "new" Element seemed very nice, you really never know when you buy a 10 year old car. There were no maintenance records for it. But, besides it looking well cared for, it had all the original owners, warranty, emissions manuals in the original pouch, including the code for the radio should the battery be disconnected (you need the code to make the radio work after the battery disconnect). IMO having all this original stuff is a very good sign that it was loved by its original owner, but still you never really know.

We pulled the cam cover to adjust the valves and it suggests the vehicle was indeed loved and well cared for by the original owner. We only took one engine picture in our mission to do all this work, but it says a lot.

Long live Honda's K24 engine! What a masterpiece of a small displacement engine engineering!

Scott

PS My good friend, both he and I are 67 years old - and we met in 1959 in first grade. We've been close friends ever since. How cool is that?

IMG_3128.jpeg

IMG_2024.jpeg

a few quarts of Kreen and short OCI's and you'll clean all of that varnish right up!

I did two valve adjustments on a friend's K24 (at 60 and 120K) and it looked identical. The car (CRV) needed one o2 sensor at 40K, and that was the extent of the repairs for 140K miles and 15 years. That era CRV and Element are probably the peak of Honda reliability. The Elements still command top dollar in the used market as well, at least around here. Great score for your friend!

While my trans continues to slowly die, the motor in my CR-V continues to go strong. I hope it looks that good under my cover at 282k. It's only lived on synthetic.

Originally Posted by SLO_Town
.......PS My good friend, both he and I are 67 years old - and we met in 1959 in first grade. We've been close friends ever since. How cool is that?

Way Cool!
Here's to best friends!
10.gif

Looks like a well cared for engine. I am 67 and have a 2003 Element with 60K miles. Best vehicle I have owned.

Haven't been to EOC in a while, but glad to see there's a lot of Elements still rolling around! I still love my '07, won't get rid of it. I only put on ~2,000 miles a year now, so oil changes are pretty infrequent. I've been meaning to do a valve adjustment, bought the screwdriver tool and Hondabond a while ago, but haven't done the work yet. Did you guys replace the valve cover gaskets or spark plug seals?

On borrowed time ,no sludge to hold everything from flying apart. !

Second extremely clean engine posted here today well done.

Always liked the Element. Too bad Honda quit making them.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back