Specs on Conventional Oils 4 Comparing

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello,

I am finding many webpages and youtube videos on Synthetic oils or why synthetic is better than conventional oil and mostly showing their cold crank/pouring tests.

But I can't find like a test that shows top 10 conventional oils testes side by side, in charts etc.. on wear tests, tbn, teost, noack, high temp shear, etc. etc..

Anyone have links to post here of these score test, data sheets, either from the oil companies websites, or from (preferably) 3rd party testing company ? ?

I'd love it if you post it here.

I'm trying to determine if I really should be using fully synthetic in my new Car. My first oil change was with using a full synthetic, as it's a twin turbo and I suspect from some of the homework I've done so far, that's it's best.... But I'd like to actually the conventional oil test scores, so i can completely come to an informed decision on my own and with my criteria, etc.. in mind.

My min. requirement is only conv. 5w 30, but if truly safer for my engine to use Synthetic, I'll keep it up. If I'm not on a race track heating up the twin turbos, and I change my oil on the lower range of the recommended change intervals, is it fine to stick with conventional...
my car says change every 6,000 kms - max of 10,000 kms, depending on your driving conditions... I plan to do it on the 6k mark, since it is a turbo and winter months here in Ontario are harder on cars.
Summer time, maybe, if oil is still on clean side, I'll go bit longer.

If Viscosity, high temp shear numbers etc.... are very close to synthetic, and only main difference is being able to change oil after more mileage, but both are too close in wear abilities, etc... it's something to consider.

Please post specs of top conventional 5w-30 oils, if you have them ! Thanks.

Oh, my car is a 2019 Kia Stinger GT Limited 3.3L TT

Almost forgot... Can someone let me know if the higher # or lower # score in such specs sheet is the better score for the following tests ?

- High Temp shear 100 .......... 6.9 ,,,, Higher is better or ?
- High temp shear 150 ..............3.2
- Viscosity 40 .................... 62.5 .... Higher is better or ?
- Viscosity 100 .......................10.5
Gravity, ° ...................... 34.93 ... what does this refer too ?
Specific Gravity @ 60°F (15.6°C) ... Higher or lower score is better, example.. 0.850 or ? what does this test refer too ?

I know higher is better for Viscosity score... so is above two viscosity type tests, higher # is better ?

Last edited by a moderator:
What kind of tests and results are you looking for other than what the manufacturer or blender already provides?

Do you distrust their information?

I like dino and use it in 2 cars but if I had a turbo and lived in Canada (i.e. cold), I would consider syn over dino. Cold winters and Turbo in summer and 2019 car ... calls for syn.

Originally Posted by OilUzer
I like dino and use it in 2 cars but if I had a turbo and lived in Canada (i.e. cold), I would consider syn over dino. Cold winters and Turbo in summer and 2019 car ... calls for syn.

It's all pretty much syn blend these days but if it was really cold and I had a turbo (or I changed my own) it would probably be Group 3. You can find a lot of oil specs in PQIA.ORG.

Last edited:
You can head on over to pqia.org to get some good 3rd party sample data. That will allow you to sort for conventional/blend/synthetic but you may need to drill down to the data sample by sample.

Good luck!!!
cheers3.gif

I'm checking out their site. Thanks. Oddly their side by side chart of many oils is mostly non-major brands. They're individually found, which will be more work.

Anyone have answer re: the score number being higher or lower is better... some of these articles I've read, talk about it, and kinda hint to it, but don't simply say "lower score is better" or "higher score is better" in various categories.

I assume anything with viscosity in the subject test, higher score is better, since that's true for simple Viscosity test, example 155 or 169.

I've started with my first oil change with Big Red which is local to me, but want to make sure it's performance is up to par.

Originally Posted by Perseus
I'm checking out their site. Thanks. Oddly their side by side chart of many oils is mostly non-major brands. They're individually found, which will be more work.

Anyone have answer re: the score number being higher or lower is better... some of these articles I've read, talk about it, and kinda hint to it, but don't simply say "lower score is better" or "higher score is better" in various categories.

I assume anything with viscosity in the subject test, higher score is better, since that's true for simple Viscosity test, example 155 or 169.

I've started with my first oil change with Big Red which is local to me, but want to make sure it's performance is up to par.

There is no "score" for any of that really, it is the totality of the additive package that determines the overall performance of the oil. Besides, when looking at metallic additives all you are seeing is the elements that make up the specific compounds and you are of course missing out on anything non-metallic that won't show up on the ICP.

It can be a lot of fun reading the tea leaves in all of that but no one here has ever demonstrated that within a specific approval or specification it makes any difference whatsoever with engine longevity or oil performance. You mention "Big Red" oil and that you want to make sure its performance is "up to par". Are you checking that it meets API SN or CJ-4? Yes there are some parameters of the SN specification that you can verify (see the PQIA Alerts) but after that, there's no way to unambiguously claim that one oil with API SN will perform better or worse in your engine using that information.

Back to your mention of a score, what score are you talking about exactly?

Originally Posted by kschachn

There is no "score" for any of that really, it is the totality of the additive package that determines the overall performance of the oil. Besides, when looking at metallic additives all you are seeing is the elements that make up the specific compounds and you are of course missing out on anything non-metallic that won't show up on the ICP.

It can be a lot of fun reading the tea leaves in all of that but no one here has ever demonstrated that within a specific approval or specification it makes any difference whatsoever with engine longevity or oil performance. You mention "Big Red" oil and that you want to make sure its performance is "up to par". Are you checking that it meets API SN or CJ-4? Yes there are some parameters of the SN specification that you can verify (see the PQIA Alerts) but after that, there's no way to unambiguously claim that one oil with API SN will perform better or worse in your engine using that information.

Back to your mention of a score, what score are you talking about exactly?

Like these scores. Yes, oils may have the same SN-plus GF-5 ratings, but if 5 oils have this, but they have varying scores in these below tests, which oil would be the better performance to protect the engine ? I am already familiar with Viscosity score, that higher score is better protection, and the a TBN, also, higher score # means the better performance in protection, but how about these tests ?

- High Temp shear 100 .......... 6.9 ,,,, Higher is better or is lower number better ?
- High temp shear 150 ..............3.2
and
- Viscosity 40 .................... 62.5 .... Higher is better or ?
- Viscosity 100 .......................10.5
and
Gravity, ° ...................... 34.93 ... what does this refer too ?
Specific Gravity @ 60°F (15.6°C) ... Higher or lower score is better, example.. 0.850 or ? what does this test refer too ?

Make sure you look at the dates on that site, most of what they have there is out dated so it won't be accurate for what you're looking for.

I don't get it, you spend 50 g on a car and debating on oil, you buy the best oil possible, which is normally synthetic....redline......Motul, and so on. Like why even consider Dino which was developed decades ago, although improved when you can have a synthetic developed specifically for turbos and high temps etc. Who cares about Dino oil comparisons etc. If you have a high performance car, you use high performance oil, no matter the cost. That's what you signed up for when purchasing a car such as this. Like Dino shouldn't even be in your thoughts with turbo. Just buy a proper quality synthetic and be done with it.

I agree with ^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Why bother with conventionals and even blends, when so many synthetics today are reasonably priced.
Treat that new Kia to a name-brand synthetic and be done with the second-guessing. Most popular are Pennzoil, Mobil-1, Valvoline, Castrol, Quaker State. Use 5w20 in the winter and 5w30 in the summer there in Canada. Use (near) Severe Service OCIs 4-5k and stay within the warranty.

Enjoy your new ride. We have (2) and enjoying ours.

A Twin Turbo Kia Stinger. Lambda 3.3l T-GDI.

I'd be looking for a Synthetic ACEA A1/A5 or a Dexos1G2 5w30 at minimum.

Theres a place for conventionals and blends. This isn't one of them.

Castrol Edge 5w30
Pennzoil Platinum 5w30
Mobil 1 5w30
QSUD 5w30
Valvoline Synpower 5w30

Any of these paired with an OEM Filter.

Last edited:
Thanks for the comments guys. A did first change with full synthetic and likely will continue.

Just saying that I like to know these numbers.. so I can still make a decision on which Brand, by which may have the better TBN score or better high heat capabilities, etc..

All reputable brands will be similar, but some will be better than others. I just want to make an informed decision on Specs... Not sure if this is so wrong to want to do ?

Amsoil is likely the best, but can't afford that. Yes my car is $50K, but Not $100K, so not " have no budget" on anything levels.

Anyone have reply as well to if the test score I am asking about, the higher or lower number represents the better performance ?

Would be nice to get a reply to that specific question, if possible.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back