Who makes Canadian Supertech?

Patman

Staff member
Does Safety Kleen still make the Canadian version of Supertech oils? (they did back in 2009, we know this) I ask this because starting tomorrow Walmart in Canada is selling Supertech synthetic for only $17.47 for 5L jugs, and that has to be the lowest priced synthetic available to us up here (it works out to about $13.10 US)

Originally Posted by Jimmy_Russells
Probably whoever just lost the contract with Motomaster...

That was Citgo, before it went back to Shell Canada.

Anyway, that's a great price up here. For years Walmart was undercutting their own oil with other brand names. Thanks for the post Patman.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by Snagglefoot

Anyway, that's a great price up here. For years Walmart was undercutting their own oil with other brand names. Thanks for the post Patman.

No problem! I'm super tempted to buy a jug for the Honda since it's such a good price, except for the fact that I already have one more jug of Ultra Platinum and that's probably all I need for the next two years (at which point I'm most likely getting rid of the Honda, since we'll be retired and can make do with just the BMW and Corvette)

I checked out the Canadian Supertech and it's Dexos licence ends with 25 indicating it is supplied by Warren Distribution. I noticed the jug had such thin plastic it was bulging. I'll post some picks as soon as they download to my IPad.

Reactions: JC1
I had seen supertech HDEO for about 50$ before tax for 18.9L pail. They advertised 15w40 and 10w30. I was trying to narrow down their supplier on that so I could maybe track down a PDS. I am hoping it has some decent specs because I want to get a pail for my 3500.

The Supertech bottle showing the Dexos license. Code ending in 25 is Warren Disribution. The jugs on the shelving were slightly deformed. The back label said imported from the USA but were labeled 5 liters.

28874CF0-6D8B-44AA-A972-A91FFF26CFA7.jpeg

41427857-7AD5-4EE2-B58E-0D4859D54DD3.jpeg

870968DC-B00C-4875-8EAF-E62B98089F6E.jpeg

Last edited:
I just saw some of this earlier this afternoon @ Walmart. I've been a Mobil 1 user for a long time, and have never considered Supertech seriously, but this was a great price - C$14.99 for 5 litres. (Typically I usually buy Mobil 1 on sale - typically there's a 4.4 l jug with a 1 l bonus wrapped to it, typically on sale for about C$35. This is at Canadian Tire or its affiliate Partsource. WM sells the 4.73 l jugs for between C$48 and C$58.)

Is the Supertech a comparable (or at least a good) oil?

[QUOTE="Number_35, post: 5559898, member: 64751"

[/QUOTE]"
If I put some fuchsia dye in it, labeled it "Titanic Tribology", doubled the price, and created some outlandish adverts, people would be on here calling it the greatest stuff ever.

[QUOTE="Number_35, post: 5559898, member: 64751"

"
If I put some fuchsia dye in it, labeled it "Titanic Tribology", doubled the price, and created some outlandish adverts, people would be on here calling it the greatest stuff ever.
[/QUOTE]
So true! OK, I'll probably give it a try. (I mean the SuperTech, not the Titanic Tribology!) 😆

In the linked test, Supertech synthetic is not much faster than 100-per-cent dino at –20 C, reckoned extreme in warmer climes. This "cold"-pour test is recent: 2019.

Speaking of 2019, It hit –40 in Winnipeg on January 30 — not the wind-chill temperature, the real thing. Other days were nearly as cold. If Supertech is that sluggish at –20 C, imagine it at –40. I'll stick with plain-vanilla Mobil 1, the fastest cold pours in older videos, which, if I remember correctly, used 5W30, pre-dating my new favourite, 0W30.

I suppose Supertech synthetic is the bees knees year-round for most of the world; here, not so much.

In the linked test, Supertech synthetic is not much faster than 100-per-cent dino at –20 C, reckoned extreme in warmer climes. This "cold"-pour test is recent: 2019.

Speaking of 2019, It hit –40 in Winnipeg on January 30 — not the wind-chill temperature, the real thing. Other days were nearly as cold. If Supertech is that sluggish at –20 C, imagine it at –40. I'll stick with plain-vanilla Mobil 1, the fastest cold pours in older videos, which, if I remember correctly, used 5W30, pre-dating my new favourite, 0W30.

I suppose Supertech synthetic is the bees knees year-round for most of the world; here, not so much.

I use 5w30 Supertech in our Chevy Traverse year round here in Winnipeg. Works great and goes on sale about every 2nd or 3rd month for $14.97.

If you're worried about cold winter starts get a oil pan heater. I've put on on my F150 that sits outside year round, plug it in 2 hours before you start your vehicle and the oil (and the lower block) will be prewarmed at start up. I still use the block heater as well.

Back