VW dealer hilarity - window tinted the wrong car.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted by pezzy669
Not even sure what category this falls into so figure I would drop it here.

Funny but I can see how easy that might happen. Exact same looking car with same issues etc...nothing like using the last 4 of a VIN just to be safe.

You mention a good quote on tint, I have a GSW and am going to shop tint soon - probably this summer. What did you find ballpark numbers or a good rate from your shopping ?

Originally Posted by Lolvoguy

OP must really like spending time with the dealer since he's always in contact with them.
My Lexus on the other hand has made me a lonely hermit. Nobody to converse with as nothing breaks
frown.gif

OP reminds me of my father. He has an old 90's Olds Aurora with the FWD V8 setup.
The thing should have been junked years ago with well over 300k miles, but since he's in his 70's and all the kids have moved away, I think he takes pleasure in always having to take it in for various repairs.
Gives him reason to continuously socialize with the various mechanics...those service writers and mechanics are very patient people.

Likes spending time at a dealer ... ? Sorry you lost me.
As for humbly showing up here to search car problems that make Lexus look better ? Don't feel defensive or sell them short- Lexus / Toyo does okay on their own behalf.
grin.gif

Heck, my '74 CJ-5 was a benchmark for trouble free and low cost of ownership experience.
11.gif

VW Vortex-
Have not been there much recently but there was plenty of chatter and info on the roof leaks.
I wonder if they drew a line in the sand or as sometimes the case, posts get a bit off-track , off-truth or ugly.... From what I've seen there, if you want help or info on things, response is pretty hit n miss. Mazdas247 was similar although somewhat better.

Originally Posted by bachman

Funny but I can see how easy that might happen. Exact same looking car with same issues etc...nothing like using the last 4 of a VIN just to be safe.

You mention a good quote on tint, I have a GSW and am going to shop tint soon - probably this summer. What did you find ballpark numbers or a good rate from your shopping ?
[/quote]

Define good rate. You can get a good rate at a random shop that uses the lowest quality dye-based tint that will quickly turn purple and/or has low quality adhesive, that you see it bubbling up, especially on the rear window.

Or... you can find a balance of price and quality, as shop's overhead will vary which impacts price (such as shop space rent, utilities, paying employees, etc) as well as the cost of the tint film itself. There is recent tint thread that you can review.

Originally Posted by bachman

Originally Posted by Lolvoguy

OP must really like spending time with the dealer since he's always in contact with them.
My Lexus on the other hand has made me a lonely hermit. Nobody to converse with as nothing breaks
frown.gif

OP reminds me of my father. He has an old 90's Olds Aurora with the FWD V8 setup.
The thing should have been junked years ago with well over 300k miles, but since he's in his 70's and all the kids have moved away, I think he takes pleasure in always having to take it in for various repairs.
Gives him reason to continuously socialize with the various mechanics...those service writers and mechanics are very patient people.

Likes spending time at a dealer ... ? Sorry you lost me.
As for humbly showing up here to search car problems that make Lexus look better ? Don't feel defensive or sell them short- Lexus / Toyo does okay on their own behalf.
grin.gif

Heck, my '74 CJ-5 was a benchmark for trouble free and low cost of ownership experience.
11.gif

What's there to "get"? Some people enjoy spending time at the dealer. Either for repairs of simply to enjoy the companionship...it's not rocket science. Especially as many retire and have less human contact.
You'd be amazed what some people (willingly or not) will do for social interaction.

Originally Posted by JOD

I noticed over on VWvortex forums they will ban you if you speak out about it.

1) I haven't noticed that. You have to be really annoying to get banned on that forum. And plenty of folks complain about dealers...

Oh no there is clearly a group of about a couple dozen "ring leaders" that seem to do whatever they want and never follow the rules, and
if you speak your own mind on a subject and it isn't what that group wants they will ban you. It's become so bad over there that they have driven off
most interested people that would have stayed. They have almost killed The Car Lounge the number of posts by members other than that small group has dried up.
I don't think that place is going to be active much longer.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by hallstevenson
How did the happen ? Good chance this house still had electric, gas, and water service connected and turned on. I've seen houses that are 'ready' for demo and they will be marked (in giant spray-painted wording) with "GAS OFF" or "WATER OFF".

Not sure but previous owner had died and new owner was renno'ing but not moved in.

Originally Posted by WagonWheel
Originally Posted by hallstevenson
How did the happen ? Good chance this house still had electric, gas, and water service connected and turned on. I've seen houses that are 'ready' for demo and they will be marked (in giant spray-painted wording) with "GAS OFF" or "WATER OFF".

Not sure but previous owner had died and new owner was renno'ing but not moved in.

So it probably looked less than stellar on the outside.

Now you still need to get the windows tinted. How much were they charging? I got the Malibu's done for like 350 locally. Took the 4 or 5 hours.

Originally Posted by dogememe
I wish I got free window tint haha.

I would blow a gasket if someone tinted my windows without permission.

I'll take free undercoating too!
Edit: free tint. We were all just talking about undercoating here, and my wires got crossed.

Both would be nice though.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by Jarlaxle

Tint can be removed. I guess you blow gaskets easily?

So the guy they use does all their new cars (ya know the dealer added options) and they would be able to the the GA legal on all 8 windows (front/rear doors, wagon back windows and tailgate) for $195+tax. Couple other quotes I have received were in the $350-400 range so its a pretty good deal.

Yeah I don't like spending time at the dealership either but combined I spent maybe 20 mins there. They dropped me in a rental for the first 1.5 weeks (Nissan Altima) then had me in a loaner for the second 1.5 weeks (VW Tiguan). The pano sunroof on pretty much all VW/Audis are problematic - clogged drains, sunshades falling apart and general creaking and rattling - knowing what I know now I don't know if I would get another one with a pano roof, regular sunroof yes but on the Sportwagen its either pano or nothing.

Originally Posted by caprice_2nv
Originally Posted by Jarlaxle

Tint can be removed. I guess you blow gaskets easily?

Tint on a car here is not legal. Might get me pulled over, WILL fail inspection.

So the guy they use does all their new cars (ya know the dealer added options) and they would be able to the the GA legal on all 8 windows (front/rear doors, wagon back windows and tailgate) for $195+tax. Couple other quotes I have received were in the $350-400 range so its a pretty good deal.

Yeah I don't like spending time at the dealership either but combined I spent maybe 20 mins there. They dropped me in a rental for the first 1.5 weeks (Nissan Altima) then had me in a loaner for the second 1.5 weeks (VW Tiguan). The pano sunroof on pretty much all VW/Audis are problematic - clogged drains, sunshades falling apart and general creaking and rattling - knowing what I know now I don't know if I would get another one with a pano roof, regular sunroof yes but on the Sportwagen its either pano or nothing.

This is one reason I won't own a car with a sunroof. It's a complete, instant deal-killer unless the car is FREE.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back