Best oil/fluids for a 2006 LS430

Status
Not open for further replies.
I just bought this car.

It has 110k miles on it.

It's currently in with an independent mechanic getting the timing belt and water pump etc done. (I wish I could have done it--I just don't have the time or tools/space at the moment.)

I need recommendations for oil--20k miles per year, northeastern climate-- and ATF, rear diff, transmission, etc.

Also, anyone here who has an LS, please feel free to tell me anything you think I should know.

Thanks in advance for your responses!

(If you replied earlier to my post about the GX, I really do apologize. I was very, very close to buying it and thought it was basically a finished deal.)

Whatever OM specifies as long as it's not 0Wx20
grin2.gif

Isn't it 3.5L V6?

I would use 5Wx30. I don't think you get cold enough to need a 0W or hot enough to need x40. If it doesn't like syn, I would use dino.
For other fluids (trans, etc.) follow the om.

Follow manufacturers recommendations.
That transmission will last forever(well, not forever, but until you sell it[400,000km])

Use a high quality 5w30 synthetic...probably any extended performance Synthetic should do.

I believe the transmission uses the WS Toyota fluid, stick with that. Diff is 75w90 I believe, any decent name brand should do.

The LS430 is a legendary car in terms of reliability and high mileage capabilities. The bushings of course will probably need attention at the controls arms and links. Pretty normal stuff, but you said the car is at a independent so he can go through it. A lot of guys on the LS430 forum only go 5,000 miles on their oil changes but being a timing belt engine without direct injection, I think you may be able to push it further...but of course the question becomes...how much further?

LS430's are such a nice car. That 4.7L V8 is so smooth. I'd stick with a 5w-30 and do 5k oil changes if it was mine. I don't understand the need to stretch it out longer to save a few bucks when you're driving such a nice car.

Owner's manual calls out for a 5w30. I would run any Motul 5w30 on it. If you don't have a budget for an oil change I would use Motul 300V 5w30.

In mine, I use Toyota long life pink coolant, synthetic 5w-30 ( either Amsoil or Schaeffer), Amsoil WS ATF, Amsoil regular ATF in power steering, Amsoil 75-90 differential, etc

I follow 5k OCI.

From my past experience with a LS400, those engines can and do live a long, happy life on any high-quality xxW-30 oil changed at reasonable intervals. My parent's 05 has bulk ServicePro(Warren) D1G2 5W-30 and a FU XG3614. Granted, the car was a creampuff with 49K when they bought it but I have confidence it will run happy for the next 10 years.

All other fluids are OEM WS ATF, my price is less than MaxLife, OEM pink coolant and Red Line 75W-90 in the rear diff.

Chevron Supreme 5W-30. Literally the cheapest 5 quart jug I've seen at Walmart - even cheaper than their house brands. Good product at a good price point. Almost no advertising for their motor oils, they develop make their additives and base oils in house, and they actually sell a lot. I understand the majority of their sales are in bulk oil for fleets and quick lube/repair shops.

Any 5w30 synthetic will be good for a 10k OCI

Use Castrol Full Synthetic ATF. It is on sale right now at Autozone for $5/qt if you buy in multiples of two. So that would be my first choice. Maxlife is also a good choice.

Zerex Asian Red/Pink is a good coolant and available at any Walmart. Pentofrost A1 or A4 will work too.

First oil change today, at 8k on the Lexus (Toyota) factory synthetic. I ended up going with Pennzoil Platinum High Mileage 5w30, and a Mobil 1 filter. Both on sale at Walmart. I'm probably going to stick with 8k changes. My turbo cars often went around 6-7k on Rotella T6, M1TDT etc, so I feel pretty comfortable at 8k for this one with a any decent full synth high mileage oil.

When I first got the car I changed the diff oil with Mobil 1 75w90. The mechanic used the Toyota coolant when they did the timing belt.

Thanks, everyone, for the recommendations!

Also, a question:

I do not have the space to do a transmission fluid change at the moment. Should I take it to get a flush/full exchange? (I'm not really afraid of flushes--I know some people are.)

Last edited:
Do a simple spill and fill on the transmission.
If it is dark, do it again fairly soon.
Otherwise, service it again at the next oil service.

It will smooth out the transmission.

Agree on the trans, maybe find a good indie that'll let you bring some WS and have them just do a d&f, they may even let you watch them do it. Those transmissions are almost bombproof with minor care, no need for a full exchange unless something is wrong, IMO at least

Update:

I just did my second oil change. Went 9,120 miles on Pennzoil Platinum HM 5w30 and a Mobil 1 201 filter.

Changed with the same oil, and the larger M1-209 filter.

I'm planning for 7,500 miles this time. I'd meant to go 8k on this change, and accidentally let it go longer than I'd wanted to.

Originally Posted by Villalobos
I like GTMO and Toyota filters for oil change in my IS.
27.gif

I know nothing at all about the Toyota oil, but aren't people not very happy with the Toyota filters? I've read a bunch of stuff saying they're not very good for the price. But I'd imagine this is one of those cases of cost vs product. I seriously doubt that I'm using anything better. When I went to Walmart the only options for the filter were regular Fram or Mobil 1. I went with the Pennzoil because I wanted a good, full synthetic HM oil and this one was basically free with a rebate.

Not sure what filter your LS uses, my IS uses yzza5 replaceable type, in a permanent aluminum housing. I pay $5 and change at local Toyota dealer for filter. 0w20 runs me about $32 for 6 quart case at local
Toyota dealer. Just a tad more than other popular 0w20 brands. All in, I have $42 in a diy oil change. 7 quarts of oil and filter. Both filter and oil have served me well for 50k. But this is only anecdotal evidence from my own Lexus, no science.

I'll second syn-blend Chevron Supreme 5W-30 oil. Great oil with a fantastic add pack. Change it every 3 to 5K miles and you're golden.

I have owned a LS and a GS 430 for years... Valvoline full syn with Maxlife tech 5W30 goes in both every 7500K miles. Sold the LS430 to my brother recently and it runs like silk. My GS430 has 41K miles and also runs like a new car. Hard to beat the 06 lexus 430's.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back