Pocket Carry Ruger LCP 380

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted by Tom NJ
Can't speak to the others, but ther LCPs are locked-breech, not blowback designs.

You are correct. I misspoke. For some reason had the PPK and its clones in my head.
In any case, pull the three similar polymer pocket rockets apart next to each other. Pretty much boil down to the same gun.
I did have a P3AT before my current LCP. I shot it into submission. But I'll give that little gun credit; it took a lot of rounds to do so.

Originally Posted by MGF1964
Originally Posted by alarmguy
Oh my!
This is to the OP.

The Ruger LCP and Taurus TCP are great pistols for your wife, there will never be a time when she will feel like its too much to carry with her and like me and others posted in here, you cant protect yourself if you leave it at home. There is no one in this forum that would like to test this out and get shot by a 380. Come on already.

The Taurus and Ruger can even be carried on your belt concealed in a case not much different then older cell phone sized cases. Personally, for what you are looking for I would only consider those two.
My wife and I own three different Taurus models, each has been rock solid reliable, I was hesitant years ago because of forum comments, until watching actual reviews online from experts, add to that, the major police equipment supplier to the entire state that I live in had very positive comments. its a gun, it shoots, killer warranty for life, one of the largest gun makers in the world didnt get there based on comments in here.

Literally have shot 1000 rounds through these pistols and I would be hard pressed think or less then a handful of times that I had a FTF. Most all when brand new and breaking in.
As far as the guy who would smash it into pieces, well, go to any gun forum specific to a manufacturer of any product, there is always someone unhappy and again his comments are not on the TCP

Dang, that's an impassioned defense of Taurus!
I almost feel bad about myself.(Nah, not really.)
Actually, I'd imagine the TCP would work out for a lot of people, maybe me included. The LCP I, the TCP and the P3AT are virtually the same design and are what they are: simple, polymer-framed blowback .380s available for around $200.
Personally, with prices as they stand today, I think the LCP 1 is the obvious best buy. And I'm fully cognizant I've influenced no one here. (Oh, my!)
I don't run Taurus handguns 'cause I've personally seen enough of 'em with QC issues that I just don't care to put my gun money there.
If you want to sing their praises .. 'Murica! Have at it.
OTH, they are they people who actually tried to sell The Curve. In public.

Na, not really defending Taurus, just trying to dispel internet gossip and our personal experience with 3 different models of their pistols and also stating the 380 is a good self defense gun for a woman to carry in a purse or a man could even carry it on his belt in a case. We actually have 1-380, 1-9mm, 1-38 special of theirs. Wife is petite and LOVES the 9mm, 1st generation Millennium, in our CWP class out of 9 people she blew out the center "star" in the target, 1 other person did slightly better then her. The gun shoots like a luxury automobile but on the larger size and not a tiny pocket pistol.

I dont care the brand of gun, talk about any product that is well price in any Internet forum and just like "oil" their will be negative comments.
Without question (and as I stated throughout this thread) the LCP is a good gun as well and with prices as low as they are, its a great choice.
Im not defending any brand I am stating actual usage over the years of 3 different Taurus models and no one else here has.

I also LOVE the Khar 380 thing is, I have read and others have posted they can be picky about ammunition or limp wristing. Thank god Taurus isnt or it would get trashed more.
The TCP will fire anything that gets thrown at it and I assume the LCP too.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by MGF1964
Oh my!
This is to the OP.

The Ruger LCP and Taurus TCP are great pistols for your wife, there will never be a time when she will feel like its too much to carry with her and like me and others posted in here, you cant protect yourself if you leave it at home. There is no one in this forum that would like to test this out and get shot by a 380. Come on already.

The Taurus and Ruger can even be carried on your belt concealed in a case not much different then older cell phone sized cases. Personally, for what you are looking for I would only consider those two.
My wife and I own three different Taurus models, each has been rock solid reliable, I was hesitant years ago because of forum comments, until watching actual reviews online from experts, add to that, the major police equipment supplier to the entire state that I live in had very positive comments. its a gun, it shoots, killer warranty for life, one of the largest gun makers in the world didnt get there based on comments in here.

Literally have shot 1000 rounds through these pistols and I would be hard pressed think or less then a handful of times that I had a FTF. Most all when brand new and breaking in.
As far as the guy who would smash it into pieces, well, go to any gun forum specific to a manufacturer of any product, there is always someone unhappy and again his comments are not on the TCP

Dang, that's an impassioned defense of Taurus!
I almost feel bad about myself.(Nah, not really.)
Actually, I'd imagine the TCP would work out for a lot of people, maybe me included. The LCP I, the TCP and the P3AT are virtually the same design and are what they are: simple, polymer-framed blowback .380s available for around $200.
Personally, with prices as they stand today, I think the LCP 1 is the obvious best buy. And I'm fully cognizant I've influenced no one here. (Oh, my!)
I don't run Taurus handguns 'cause I've personally seen enough of 'em with QC issues that I just don't care to put my gun money there.
If you want to sing their praises .. 'Murica! Have at it.
OTH, they are they people who actually tried to sell The Curve. In public.

Na, not really defending Taurus, just trying to dispel internet gossip and our personal experience with 3 different models of their pistols and also stating the 380 is a good self defense gun for a woman to carry in a purse or a man could even carry it on his belt in a case. We actually have 1-380, 1-9mm, 1-38 special of theirs. Wife is petite and LOVES the 9mm, 1st generation Millennium, in our CWP class out of 9 people she blew out the center "star" in the target, 1 other person did slightly better then her. The gun shoots like a luxury automobile but on the larger size and not a tiny pocket pistol.

I dont care the brand of gun, talk about any product that is well price in any Internet forum and just like "oil" their will be negative comments.
Without question (and as I stated throughout this thread) the LCP is a good gun as well and with prices as low as they are, its a great choice.
Im not defending any brand I am stating actual usage over the years of 3 different Taurus models and no one else here has.

I also LOVE the Khar 380 thing is, I have read and others have posted they can be picky about ammunition or limp wristing. Thank god Taurus isnt or it would get trashed more.
The TCP will fire anything that gets thrown at it and I assume the LCP too.

I"m sure the TCP is fine. It's nearly identical in operation/build to the LCP and the P3AT. I know the former eats very well, and same for the latter after the "fluff & buff."
I've shot a P3AT to loosey goosey and am near the point where I need to think about replacing my LCP I.
I'll probably stay with an LCP I for, if nothing else, mag comparability, but there's none of three I'd feel bad about putting in my pocket (in a pocket holster, of course) once I'd run some ball and JHP through to establish reliability.
Seven or eight rounds of a decent 90 grain bullet moving at 900 fps or so beats heck out of not having a gun, IMO. I am not a disparager of the .380 nor of safe pocket carry.

^^ Yes, I agree, I like all three, I always found the Kel Tec's interesting, also for their 9MM compact at the time.

If I was doing everything over again, being all these guns have been updated or refined in addition to many newer models since I purchased the 3 Taurus's years ago.

The LCP II would be a strong contender as well as what other new Taurus models are out there and KelTec as well. I always found the "look" of the KelTec compacts interesting and for lack of better word, fun. Meaning a certain "roughness to them. Also if considering a 9mm the PF9 would be worth checking out. I liked (if I remember correctly) the KelTecs in the dark (ish) green color :eek:)
Im ready to get rid of the 38 special, at the time we had the 9mm Gen 1 Millennium and the 380 TCP and wanted a 38 Special, for , I guess just the curiosity of wondering what a wheel gun was like or to just keep in the house, which is fine but its the least favorite of ours, just because of no other reason, then, I dont know. *L*

Heck, maybe if I get rid of the 38 I will try out the 380 or most likely 9 MM PF9 for fun. We dont get to the range as much as we used too, between work and family stuff but its time to get back to the range a couple times.

As far as caliper 9mm, 38, 380 I doubt very much anyone would want to get hit with any of them and at the risk of repeating myself, a woman who wants an easy to carry pistol for self defense would be better off with a compact 380 as she would be more likely to not leave it home. If god forbid she ever needs to defend herself, the perpetrator is not going to look at the gun pointing at him and analyze if she shoots him, what caliper it is. :eek:)
Though I will admit a 38 is intimating *L* (but cant be considered for serious pocketbook carry)

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back