VW dealer hilarity - window tinted the wrong car.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Not even sure what category this falls into so figure I would drop it here.

'12 in my sig has was at the dealer for a full 3 weeks to solve a leaky sunroof - thankfully it is a dieselgate CPO because it has been probably upward of $5k in repairs, rental cars and loaner cars at this point. $50 out of pocket with VWoA picking up all the rest. Long story short - 4 new sunroof drains, full carpet front to rear, new headliner (twice) and new sunroof seals.

Anyhow my Tiguan loaner had some nicely tinted front windows (back I believe are factory tint) and I really liked the color and darkness so I inquired with my service advisor about having my car tinted while it was there. Price was right (and a lot lower than other quotes I had received) so I sent email approval for them to knock that out while it was in their care for the sunroof.

Go to pick up my car today after 3 weeks with them and my service advisor does not have the invoice for the tint, internally I'm like ok sweet free tint job. Come to find out they had an identical Sportwagen in their care for roof leaks as well and that car was tinted in error.
lol.gif
At this point I just could not even be mad, I have been without tint for 5+ years now. He tried to offer me to take the loaner Tiguan back and he get my car tinted - I just told him no big deal and I would just do it another time because I knew he was in a world of hurt for tinting the wrong car. Can only imagine how that conversation with the other owner went about their car suddenly having their windows tinted.

I know most folks would be enraged about this, I honestly found it funny. "Sir/Maam - we fixed your sunroof leaks and we tinted your windows for your trouble". Hope that other owner is ok with window tint.

Removing tint is a few minute process. Getting it on without bubbles requires experience.

Here in Dallas, a demolition company accidentally bulldozed the wrong house the other day. A 1923 Craftsman that the new owner was restoring by honoring the wish of the recently deceased previous owner. Mistakes happen. Glad you took it In stride.

How did the happen ? Good chance this house still had electric, gas, and water service connected and turned on. I've seen houses that are 'ready' for demo and they will be marked (in giant spray-painted wording) with "GAS OFF" or "WATER OFF".

VW $tealerships in the USA can't shoot straight.

I noticed over on VWvortex forums they will ban you if you speak out about it.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by Chris142
Your VW sounds like it's a real pain to own.

OP must really like spending time with the dealer since he's always in contact with them.
My Lexus on the other hand has made me a lonely hermit. Nobody to converse with as nothing breaks
frown.gif

OP reminds me of my father. He has an old 90's Olds Aurora with the FWD V8 setup.
The thing should have been junked years ago with well over 300k miles, but since he's in his 70's and all the kids have moved away, I think he takes pleasure in always having to take it in for various repairs.
Gives him reason to continuously socialize with the various mechanics...those service writers and mechanics are very patient people.

Originally Posted by WagonWheel
Here in Dallas, a demolition company accidentally bulldozed the wrong house the other day. A 1923 Craftsman that the new owner was restoring by honoring the wish of the recently deceased previous owner. Mistakes happen. Glad you took it In stride.

It's a real shame as those are truly historic homes now and very nice ones too. Sad

Originally Posted by Lolvoguy
Originally Posted by Chris142
Your VW sounds like it's a real pain to own.

OP must really like spending time with the dealer since he's always in contact with them.
My Lexus on the other hand has made me a lonely hermit. Nobody to converse with as nothing breaks
frown.gif

OP reminds me of my father. He has an old 90's Olds Aurora with the FWD V8 setup.
The thing should have been junked years ago with well over 300k miles, but since he's in his 70's and all the kids have moved away, I think he takes pleasure in always having to take it in for various repairs.
Gives him reason to continuously socialize with the various mechanics...those service writers and mechanics are very patient people.

[off-topic]
I was under the impression the OP's vehicle was in just for the different fixes/replacement for the sunroof leaks. It plagues couple generations...

Not defending VW (I own one), but if they where that bad, they wouldn't have sold thousands and people would not buy them?

[back-on-topic]
And YES, you need tint in GA. I just cannot get the "limo" style... How they see out the windows at night?

Originally Posted by hallstevenson
How did the happen ? Good chance this house still had electric, gas, and water service connected and turned on. I've seen houses that are 'ready' for demo and they will be marked (in giant spray-painted wording) with "GAS OFF" or "WATER OFF".

[off-topic]
...And things in the house?
And probably a clean lawn?

Ehhh, some people just up and leave. Actually wouldn't be surprised if homes are bulldozed with (some) furniture still in them.

Originally Posted by AC1DD

That forum is a joke, the few times I have gone there.

Originally Posted by jeepman3071

That forum is a joke, the few times I have gone there.

You should try the Toyota Yaris forums too...
Also Hyundai anything. God forbid you use non-factory fluids...Or talk about quality oils...

P.S. entertainment: Follow past GHT's posts on Volvo and BMW forums

I wonder what the service manager said when this mistake was discovered?

Fahrvergnügen Or something that sounds similar.

1) I haven't noticed that. You have to be really annoying to get banned on that forum. And plenty of folks complain about dealers...
2) not all dealers are terrible. I've dealt w/University VW in Seattle for a few things (including a pano leak on my Alltrack), and they were awesome.

Ultimately, I think it comes down to the dealer and where you're located. In my case, there are 8 VW dealers within ~30 minutes of me, so I guess there's enough competition that it's in their best interest to not be terrible.

No question, there are some out there that are pretty bad.

Probably good that you didn't get it tinted at the VW dealership. They'll just mark up the price of the installer using the cheapest dye-tint the installer uses. For that inflated price, you go to an installer of your choice to have a better tint installed.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back