Have we reached the ceiling in improvents to PCMO?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Electric motored vehicles should de-emphasize most research going forward but it depends on the speed of the technology curve adopting electric motored vehicles.

Mazda keeps coming up with new internal combustion technology... but Sloinker is right, the social move towards EV and the "forced adoption" of that direction by manufacturers seems inevitable.

Last edited:
EV's represent a very small percentage of the number of new vehicles sold, and an even smaller percentage of the vehicles currently on the roads. You can bet that there will continue to be research and development for improving PCMOs in order to reduce friction (improve mpg) and reduce emissions, even if it is ever so slightly.

Well there should be some noticeable change May 1 when API SP GF-6 comes out. Then G.M. will want D1G3 sometime after that and GF-7 formula will depend on what changes to engines as they develop. It has a lot to do with EPA regulations and greenhouse gas laws.

Originally Posted by Speak2Mountain
Wonder how soon 'til everyone's car looks....kinda the same

Look at current Ford Fusions, previous-generation Hyundai Sonata and Kia Optima, Chevy Malibu, etc. At quick glance, they are very, very similar looking.

Take a look at new Chevy Silverado and you'll see capitulation to aerodynamic reality. Design creativity is being overridden by Aero, Weight and Material as seen through green goggles. Not long off the modern personal conveyance will be 3D printed encapsulating non serviceable components. Cost will be by the mile and upon breakdown its off to the soylent recycle/recovery center. :)

Originally Posted by Kawiguy454
Take a look at new Chevy Silverado and you'll see capitulation to aerodynamic reality. Design creativity is being overridden by Aero, Weight and Material as seen through green goggles. Not long off the modern personal conveyance will be 3D printed encapsulating non serviceable components. Cost will be by the mile and upon breakdown its off to the soylent recycle/recovery center. :)

Good post. Well put.

Originally Posted by jeepman3071
EV's represent a very small percentage of the number of new vehicles sold, and an even smaller percentage of the vehicles currently on the roads. You can bet that there will continue to be research and development for improving PCMOs in order to reduce friction (improve mpg) and reduce emissions, even if it is ever so slightly.

By 2035, gas engines will be sold at 0% at least in Europe due to the ban. GM even announced they are entering 2020 with gas engines and plan to enter 2030 with all EVs. I can't wait. I won't have to change engine/trans/gear/transfer case oil or coolant anymore. Maybe not even brakes if you use 1-pedal driving. Just tires!

I saw that 400k mile Tesla Model X maintenance report and he basically just changed a lot of tires over those 400k miles. With a Ford SUV, he would have gone through half a dozen water pumps, a dozen transfer cases, maybe 2 or 3 transmissions, maybe 1 engine if it was a 3.5/3.7 V6 and several turbochargers.

Originally Posted by metroplex

By 2035, gas engines will be sold at 0% at least in Europe due to the ban. GM even announced they are entering 2020 with gas engines and plan to enter 2030 with all EVs. I can't wait. I won't have to change engine/trans/gear/transfer case oil or coolant anymore. Maybe not even brakes if you use 1-pedal driving. Just tires!

I saw that 400k mile Tesla Model X maintenance report and he basically just changed a lot of tires over those 400k miles. With a Ford SUV, he would have gone through half a dozen water pumps, a dozen transfer cases, maybe 2 or 3 transmissions, maybe 1 engine if it was a 3.5/3.7 V6 and several turbochargers.

Are the cars going to fly too? I heard something about flying cars growing up. I still don't see them on the lots. All electric fleets are right there with the flying cars. The same people pushing electric cars also don't want to build any substantial electrical generation. It's all nonsense at this point.

Originally Posted by hatt
Are the cars going to fly too? I heard something about flying cars growing up. I still don't see them on the lots. All electric fleets are right there with the flying cars. The same people pushing electric cars also don't want to build any substantial electrical generation. It's all nonsense at this point.

Huh? I think your cynicism is born from ignorance. It's a mandate in the EU for all new vehicles to be EV by, I think it is 2035. Unless they decide to push it back.. it's gonna happen. It won't be long for the NA market to follow. The economics of things is such that Detroit will be "forced" to transition to EV. I'm not suggesting the same time scale but it'll happen. This is literally a case of the tail wagging the dog.

As someone who loves the sound of internal combustion engines I'm not really looking forward to it. I understand that's the way the future has to go but I could more easily deal with something as simple as a 1980s car but with an electric motor. Modern cars basically all come with their own new set of problems. Expensive to fix electric power steering is the first to come to mind. People on here complain about privacy with their smartphones but they can also be tracked for location by any modern vehicle. There are definitely a lot of nice to have modern convenience's but there are a lot of things that are there just to add complexity.

I'm also still waiting for the water pump to fail on my 1983 Caprice. We did one water pump on the 05 Silverado work truck at about 170k. I just changed the original coolant in it this past weekend (the boss should have done it years ago).

Also are we not on this site because we somewhat enjoying taking care of our equipment and doing maintenance on it? At least that's how I feel. If it wasn't for doing this stuff I wouldn't have a 37 year old car that's still reliable to drive anywhere.

Electric cars have proven themselves in the past 5-10 years. It's battery technology and charging that has to catch up, but it is getting there much much faster than pipe dreams of flying cars or hydrogen fuel cells. Driving across the US in a Tesla is totally doable right now.

Porsche, as an example, is totally serious about this as they have focused a lot of their motorsports into electrics just recently along with faster charging. I think Tesla was critical in breaking this anti-EV barrier with the Model S P100D that basically smokes a bunch of gas powered supercars in acceleration.
Even the process for buying cars has been rattled by Tesla. Ford found out 80% of the Mach-E reservations were done online never stepping into a dealer. GM's ordering process for the Bolt is almost a carbon copy of Tesla's.

This isn't related, but we've basically switched out all of our gas powered landscape/snow removal equipment to electric, and found the electric versions to be 110% superior with the exception of battery capacity/charge time. But battery chemistry technology is always improving, same with charging technology.

I agree. Building an all electric grid completely replacing petroleum seems impossible.

Funny you mention the flying cars. I grew up in the 70s (born in 1969) and I remember building a model of a "1984 Corvette" when I was maybe 6 or 7 (can't remember if it was a Monogram,MPC,or Revell?) and it was a flying car with rocket engines and wings! The box it came in had a depiction of a skyway where all the cars were flying!

Originally Posted by aquariuscsm

I agree. Building an all electric grid completely replacing petroleum seems impossible.

What exactly makes it seem impossible? I can already drive from one end of my state to the other in an EV; charging stations are fairly ubiquitous here in all but the most rural of areas. If there's a will, there's a way...

Originally Posted by Speak2Mountain
Wonder how soon 'til everyone's car looks....kinda the same

Been the case for the last century at least, depending on what "kinda" means to you...

Tesla needs to be the first to do a full charge in the time I can fill up.
For some reason we still have a fair percentage of EV owners who also own an ICE … not sure if that number is tracked and plotted.

Back to PVL … I have stated in other threads that oil companies have and can produce long range oils … but we have OEM engines that pollute and dilute the oil with cylinder wash. It's being tolerated because many are not long from moving away from 3k/3 month scams … and are feeling good at 5k …
This seems backwards to me.

Increased power density, fuel economy and emission controls requirements mean the oil is under much more stress with today's engines.
I think the formula terms are doing an outstanding job balancing all of the performance goals. Long drain oils with GDI to TGDI are a waste of a performance characteristic of an oil that could be better used for suspension of soot or wear protection.
Same oil in my 4 runner with regular fuel injection I am comfortable with 10k intervals while the Tacoma I think I am stretching at 7500. Regardless they will run 200k plus on OEM recomendations

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back