When do you do DIY?

Status
Not open for further replies.
For the second time in 30 years, I paid someone to do work. My 335 needed the driveshaft replaced, I had let it go with a bad u joint for years. But the center support bearing really started to go in December, and my garage is basically falling over, small, no electricity, broken floor... no place to do serious work in Minnesota in January. So I paid $700 for someone to drop the exhaust (with all of its broken studs) and rebuild the driveshaft. I'm not happy about spending money that I don't have to (Polish pride) but I'm glad the job is done.

Since that, I've replaced all the shocks and struts (swapping front struts is NOT fun on a BMW), plugs, two fuel injectors, and lubed the blower motor (and got the leaves out of the cage).

The only other time I've paid for work was the rear main seal on the same car, also in the middle of winter.

On my previous cars, and occasionally those of friends or relatives, I've done nearly all repairs and maintenance except body work that didn't require lifting an engine or transmission. I've been less ambitious on the Prius, because it's trickier, because it must be lifted for otherwise trivial projects, and also because I got caught by apt. manager changing the oil in it last October. I even paid the dealer too much to "flush" the engine coolant and brake fluid, tasks that were easy on previous cars.

The most challenging repairs I've done, all on the Mazda below, were a head transplant, replacing left front wheel bearings without the necessary specialized tools & shims, and rebuilding the alternator.

Originally Posted by gman2304
Originally Posted by Wolf359
Originally Posted by dishdude
The older I get, the less I want to DIY.

Yeah, I'm getting lazy too. I just like to have the details for the repair and make sure I have the right parts and any special tools if any are required and then just have my indy do it while I watch him. Sometimes I give him a hand when he needs two hands for a particular job. But much cheaper than going to the dealer. He does it faster and better than me anyway as he has the experience.
. ^^ This for me as well ^^

Amen!
I used to use my gym membership as an excuse to stay in shape so I can keep DIYing things myself.
Now I just use it so I can keep from having to buy a new wardrobe!

Originally Posted by antonmnster
For the second time in 30 years, I paid someone to do work. My 335 needed the driveshaft replaced, I had let it go with a bad u joint for years. But the center support bearing really started to go in December, and my garage is basically falling over, small, no electricity, broken floor... no place to do serious work in Minnesota in January. So I paid $700 for someone to drop the exhaust (with all of its broken studs) and rebuild the driveshaft. I'm not happy about spending money that I don't have to (Polish pride) but I'm glad the job is done.

Since that, I've replaced all the shocks and struts (swapping front struts is NOT fun on a BMW), plugs, two fuel injectors, and lubed the blower motor (and got the leaves out of the cage).

The only other time I've paid for work was the rear main seal on the same car, also in the middle of winter.

How's the turbo's fairing at that age?

I also had the driveshaft done on both my 86 and 88 BMW 3 series cars. Many misdiagnose the slight vibration as just the center bearing, when it's in fact the rear joint that's slowly failing.
Luckily the rebuilt unit with replaceable (non-staked in) joints has still been holding tight after 16 years.

The question actually becomes, when to I pay someone else to do it?
I try to DIY as much as possible. Not only with cars & OPE but, around the house as well. A little plumbing, a little electrical, a little carpentry, a little dis, a little dat!
smirk.gif

Sad but true. But after paying a few times for screwed up work when I got lazy, I motivate myself to do the work.

Originally Posted by Char Baby
The question actually becomes, when to I pay someone else to do it?
I try to DIY as much as possible. Not only with cars & OPE but, around the house as well. A little plumbing, a little electrical, a little carpentry, a little dis, a little dat!
smirk.gif

This for the most part. I am having a carpenter at my church box in our dishwasher, and I had him install it. $250 for labor was well worth me not having to do it, and he does excellent work.

When the fuel pump died in my Durango, I almost had it towed home so I could do it myself. But then I realized that the fuel tank was 7/8ths full, I had to drop the entire exhaust system from the cats back, drop the rear driveshaft, and then lower this giant saddle style fuel tank full of fuel. $1,100 including the tow was worth me not having to do all that.

[Linked Image]

Depends on tooling and how intense the job may be. So far I've haven't had to pay full price on maintenance. I've learned a lot from YouTube, lol. Back when I had my 2002 Tacoma I took it to the dealer to have done but my dad new a guy who did work on the side. Paid the guy 200 for his time plus parts at a discount. Now that my wife has a 19 Pilot. That has a timing belt which I will be taking it in when the time comes.

I DIY anything I'm able to and a few things I'm not, lol.

I can plug a tire, but that's it for tires. Can't do alignments. Can't do body work... yet...

I helped with engine remove/replace a couple times when I was a kid, but I haven't done any on my own. Did a re-ring in situ on my first car many years ago. Have done head gaskets, clutch replacements (RWD and FWD), timing belts a plenty, fixed A/C systems and fixed a slipping auto transmission (took a few tries, but I eventually got it right!).

TBH, I really enjoy it, especially when it involves learning about a new system in the car. Don't like dealing with rust or grimy oil leakers.

Anything I possibly can, mainly so I can use the best quality parts, know it was done right, and save myself money. Alignments and tire mount/balance I will bring to a trusted shop though.

Oil changes, fluid refills, air filters, wiper blades, carb intake sprays, batteries, fuses, gas tank additives and bulbs. That's about it (in a nutshell) these retirement days

That's me also. I'm in my 70's and will still do my oil and other fluid changes, and my brakes when needed, but that's about it.

I haven't taken a car to the shop in 40 years. I do it all myself. If it gets to be too much for me I'll dump the car and get another one.

I draw the line at exhaust work, apparently. After multiple days of trying to get a new set of 4 heavy cats to seat up properly without leaks on my Mustang, while the thing was up on jack stands, with limited room, I gave up and took it to a shop. Other than that, I've replaced an engine and done a timing chain along with A/C repairs on multiple vehicles. Once I get my garage organized and insulated, I may get myself a lift of some sort.

Back when I had a garage, yes, I DIY'd most maintenance work.

Now, I don't have a garage, so I take it to a shop. It also helps to establish a relationship with the shop for bigger jobs.

That's the only thing Imp4 left out. He must be young still.

Originally Posted by Bud

That's me also. I'm in my 70's and will still do my oil and other fluid changes, and my brakes when needed, but that's about it.

I think most of us get there.

Is a lift needed? Tools I do not have?

There is only so much time. I am over 65 but still working full time. Need a reliable vehicle. It's cold out.

I enjoy watching the ASE certified techs at the dealership use the 1/4" battery powered impact wrenches to install oil pans/valve covers, cam bearing shells, under body panels etc. I also like seeing them swing off of a large box end wrench while tightening drain plugs.
If you want it done right, do it yourself.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back