Why the wide spread in price of M1 0w50?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've found it for $112 for a six pac on Amazon(also $89) and $68 at Walmart for a 6 pac.

Why such a big spread on price?
I use 4qt's of 0/40fs and 2qt's of 0/50 racing oil in my S2000 for the better wear protection that the higher moly and ZDDP gives my pistons.

For those who don't know it, the piston speed of the S2000 is 4965 ft/m or 24.6 m/s and that at the time(2000) was as high as a F1 engine.

Rod

Lots of stuff is listed on Amazon and eBay at ridiculously bad prices...they are just hoping somebody is negligent and/or uninformed enough to pay them.

Amazon's spread of prices, and fluctuations, is a function of how low they are on stock or not, typically. Walmart has steadier longer term deals they make.

Mixing is probably a bad idea. Just use a good euro-spec oil. Discussed recently on another thread, the new SN+ version of Pennzoil 5w-40 would work well in the S2000.
Alternatively, there is an interesting Eneos Racing Street (SN) 0w50 that would work well in an S2000. .... https://www.eneos.us/product/eneos-racing-street-0w-50/ .... 100% PAO base oils there. SN rated, so fine for the street. It can shear down a lot and still be higher than Honda's minimum HTHS 3.0 spec for the S2000. I use the Eneos Street Racing 0w20 in a hybrid engine due to it's very high moly & winter performance, but the 0w50 is meant for protection more at high temperatures and where permanent shear could trim the viscosity down some over time. Got mine over amazon.com in 2 days.

Last edited:
0w50? Girly man oil.
laugh.gif

9339D69B-FAB1-47BC-81F2-17E23BF62609.jpeg

If I needed a oil that thick I might look at the Motul oil. But I don't need anything more than a 40w and the mix of M1 0/40fs and M1 0/50 racing oil puts it right in the 40w range. My oil has a voa viscosity @ 100ºC, cSt of 14.1 with a but load of moly and a higher ZDDP level than straight M1 0/40fs.

Rod

NAPA has terrific prices from time to time. I picked up some for around 40.00 for five quarts, including tax. I would peruse the site. GL

Wow, Napa I would not have thought that Napa even had racing oil.
Thank You for the info, it all helps to save a buck or two and my oil changes are not cheap to begin with. So I buy when I can find it on sale and this just adds one more place to look.

Rod

Originally Posted by rrounds
If I needed a oil that thick I might look at the Motul oil. But I don't need anything more than a 40w and the mix of M1 0/40fs and M1 0/50 racing oil puts it right in the 40w range. My oil has a voa viscosity @ 100ºC, cSt of 14.1 with a but load of moly and a higher ZDDP level than straight M1 0/40fs.

Rod

Did you obtain a VOA from a lab and how did you determine that 2qt of M1 0-50 racing to 4qt 0-40FS was the magic number\Frankenblend piece de resistance?

You could've went 1.5qt or 2.5qt, been within half a qt either way. and still had a ton of moly w\higher ZDDP.

I'm also curious of the TBN of VOA and how many miles\reduced TBN prompted OCI.

Last edited:
Mobil, as I understand, claims the racing oil 0w-30\50 is good for 500 mi of use in a NASCAR race for a full fill. You've chosen 1\3 M1 racing oil, high on friction modifiers\low on detergents w\o advertised TBN, to 2\3 M1 FS 0-40, high on detergent\low on friction modifiers w\strong TBN that's good for 3-5K mi of spirited street driving anyway.

How did you come to the conclusion that 1\3 M1 0-50 was the sweet spot and how did\do you rationalize OCI? Are you counting on the TBN & detergent from the 0-40 to prop up the 0-50 after X-amount of miles?

Do you have a ratio in mind that if a full crankcase, six qts in your case, of 0-50 is good for 500mi of NASCAR abuse that 1\3 of that amount blended w\4qt M1 FS 0-40 should be good for X-amount of street performance?

Has this 4qt 0-40 to 2qts 0-50 combo platter stayed the same as your first blend or is this the result of trial & error?

How many OC on this blend & how often?

Are you referencing the amount of ZDDP and\or Moly and\or TBN as a guideline\reference point in determining your blending preference?

Finally, on that first oil drain when you marveled at the sheen of the deep rich colour did you think, "Black Gold\Texas Tea" whilst singing, The Beverly Hillbillies theme song?

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back