BG 5w-30 4.7k; 2007 BMW 550i; old UOA

Status
Not open for further replies.
Long time lurker here, always slightly intimated to post on here especially with such different viewpoints and biases
I myself have been a GC 0w30 user when it was green back in the day, and gravitated towards BC 0w30 and GC 0w40 now. Having owned all BMWs, LL01 was always what I looked for, and BC GC always gave me great results especially for the money. Attached is a UOA from 5 years ago when I first started trying BC 0w30. 2007 550i, 4700 miles on the oil. II started throwing BC / GC into the BMW M4 that as well, but that was just this month so a UOA on that will be awhile. I have another BMW TPT UOA sent out already and will post those results as soon as I get it. With all the knowledge I've gained from here, I felt it was right to do whatever I can to share at least whatever little bit I can.

[Linked Image]

SmartSelect_20200225-170510_Drive.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
The cars in my garage now are 2016 BMW M4, 2018 BMW X1, and 2007 BMW 550i. The two newer BMWs typically ran the BMW TPT variants, 0w20, 0w30, 5w30 - but some habits die hard and I prefer a PAO based oil even though the performance is likely the similar with the TPT. One thing I appreciate about the BMW TPT are the low noack, probably helpful for the GDI cars. The BMW dealership last filled my 16' M4 with BMW TPT 0w20 (TOO THIN IMO) and I quickly drained that out at 1200 miles for the UOA. I am running GC 0w40 currently, and will run a UOA to compare with BMW TPT.

Couple of thoughts;
Since North America isn't high sulfur gasoline anymore, I don't see the need to continuously run high SAPs oil esp with GDI cars. However, it is very hard for me to not use Castrol BC / GC 0w30 / 0w40. These oils are tried and true and never had any engine issues in 100k+ miles (albeit on port injection and not GDI), and are cheap and readily available everywhere. So I have history with castrol, but they recently lost LL01. I am not a fan of the LL01 5w40 Castrol as I believe the TPT oils are better. Not a big deal, just preference - so I am now attracted to Ravenol 5w30 / 0w40 LL01 , but these are 3x-4x the cost. If it is actually as good as GC / BC or better with lower NOACK, i'd be tempted to try it and send it in.

Comments / thoughts?

Last edited:
Sorry about that, is it that bad? I'm not a frequent poster here and it seemed like these acronyms were common here.

BMW TPT is BMW twin power turbo
GC = German Castrol LL01 0w40 FST
BC = Belgium Castrol LL01 0w30 FST

I will do better on using less acronyms.

Originally Posted by JamesGames
Sorry about that, is it that bad? I'm not a frequent poster here and it seemed like these acronyms were common here.

I should know them but don't lol.

Originally Posted by JamesGames

Nope all good just fine for my liking I was ready to talk about elvish oils ohhhh the good old days.i still have a stash

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back