When do you do DIY?

Status
Not open for further replies.
General maintenance question.

At what point in terms of $ do you guys opt to DIY vs paying someone?

I'm at a crossroads with regards to some repairs/maintenance. I've managed to move the DIY savings up to approx $400 on a $1100-$1400 repair which I think is worth it.

I have some concerns where I could bugger up the work (ex, break a connector, drop a fastner, etc) but I have plenty of time.

Am I over thinking this?

To a shade tree guy like me, it comes down to know how, correct tools, facilities, available time, willingness to tackle the job, funding, and completion timing demands.
These inputs triangulate at different points for different jobs and different outside life priorities.

I'd imagine it's different for every member here.

Originally Posted by Imp4
To me it comes down to know how, correct tools, facilities, available time, willingness to tackle the job, funding, and completion timing demands.
These inputs triangulate at different points for different jobs and different outside life priorities.

I'd imagine it's different for every member here.

Ditto. When I was broke teenager, and a bit cocky, I'd tackle most anything. Today, I'm kinda busy and make just a bit more money, and have many things going on. If I can schedule something on say a Saturday and it doesn't look daunting, I'll do that. If it looks like it could go sideways and take "forever" on my own, it's probably worth the money to pay for expertise who can handle the unexpected.

Sometimes though it might just be fun. Last few years I've tried to keep N+1 vehicles and as such I can have one car down for a repair. I just make sure to know when I might be at the limit and it's time to close it back up, and let someone else do it.

I usually do all my own stuff. I won't rebuild a transmission but I pull it and have it rebuilt.
If I am doing an engine, I am getting a long block. I am not pulling the short block apart, although I have in the past.
It has been years since I have had to take my cars anywhere. In fact unless I want to modify something it has been years that
I have had to do any big repairs.

Last edited:
I try to do everything myself but I don't have LS1mike's skills or experience. I've paid to have a fuel pump replaced. Didn't want to mess with gasoline. Probably could have done it myself.

If there's a youtube video to tutor me, I'll give it a go. Lots of help on the Internet to fix lots of things.

Originally Posted by Leo99
I try to do everything myself but I don't have LS1mike's skills or experience. I've paid to have a fuel pump replaced. Didn't want to mess with gasoline. Probably could have done it myself.

If there's a youtube video to tutor me, I'll give it a go. Lots of help on the Internet to fix lots of things.

I work on a lot of other peoples stuff to. It is a hobby and I don't charge. I have won't touch Subarus anymore though. The last three were not my cup of tea.
Done a bunch of water pumps, timing belts. As you see none of my stuff has had that since the 03 CTS we had. So a few Kia/Hyundais, a few Hondas and few Toyotas.

I have a few good scanners, a engine hoist, transmission jack, and a ton of specialty tools. Last job two jobs I did were brakes on a 2014 F-350 and clutch and front wheel bearings on 2002 Lancer.

The last big repair I had to do on any of my GM stuff was the 4T65E HD in the 1998 Supercharged Buick I had. Pulled it, sent if off for a nice rebuild put it back in. As much as people HERE have problems with GM I cut my teeth on my 1996 Honda, a bunch of turbo Dodges and an 02 Jetta TDI, The Jetta and the Honda were piles. My GM stuff aside from the intake gaskets on the 3800 and some stuff on the last truck from sitting so much have been rock solid.

Unless it is something like an automatic transmission rebuild I always do it myself. If those clowns at the dealership can do it, I can do it better.

If I have the equipment and time, I do it.

I did get bit to the tune of almost $900 when an emissions part failed which only showed up at the New York State inspection station. Well I didn't have the time to rip the car apart to get at it (It was buried over the gas tank and required dropping the rear subframe) as my inspection sticker was about to expire. You can't drive in NYS with an expired sticker. So took it to a dealer who told me it wasn't covered as part of the emissions system yet NYS would fail the car because it was. F#$& me!

Originally Posted by BMWTurboDzl
General maintenance question.

At what point in terms of $ do you guys opt to DIY vs paying someone?

I'm at a crossroads with regards to some repairs/maintenance. I've managed to move the DIY savings up to approx $400 on a $1100-$1400 repair which I think is worth it.

I have some concerns where I could bugger up the work (ex, break a connector, drop a fastner, etc) but I have plenty of time.

Am I over thinking this?

I do everything except body work, tires and alignments. Every now and then I get lazy and take it is for something else that I could/should do myself... and each and every time I catch the shop trying to bamboozle me. Different shops across the years, some indi some dealers. Every shop I've ever been to has been crooked. Even my aligment shop- but at least they seem to do honest alignments even though I caught them fleecing the insurance on a crash repair.

unless it requires specialized equipment i generally will dIY it. i don't really do it to save money, but to learn how to do it . i have never rebuilt a engine or trans, but i have pulled a few of them and taken them to a shop.

if i had a lift i would do a lot more suspension and exhaust stuff. my days of getting under a car on stands are pretty much over

After 60+ years doing most of the extended family repairs I now ship out anything that will take more than an hour. The exception are the hobby projects. Completing the hydraulic brake conversion on a 28 Chevy and finding a body for the 327 eng I rebuilt last summer.

I do most stuff myself, unless it requires a lift , or its a time thing, an i need the turnaround, other wise i do it. I have not pulled transmissions, engines from large trucks, but i have pulled and rebuilt saturn s engines.

Last edited:
I try to everything I can do with what I have.

Not only is it a major cost savings, it's less hassle.

As an example, I just did front pads and rotors on our Nissan Versa for $55 worth of mail order parts and an hour's worth of my time. It would have easily cost up to $400 to have a shop do it, plus the time/hassle of scheduling a drop off, pickup, etc.

Originally Posted by dishdude
The older I get, the less I want to DIY.

Yeah, I'm getting lazy too. I just like to have the details for the repair and make sure I have the right parts and any special tools if any are required and then just have my indy do it while I watch him. Sometimes I give him a hand when he needs two hands for a particular job. But much cheaper than going to the dealer. He does it faster and better than me anyway as he has the experience.

I'll do everything including transmission rebuilds. It's a reason for me to buy tools and gain experience. The only thing stopping me from DIY alignments and tires is the shop space for the equipment.

Originally Posted by Wolf359
Originally Posted by dishdude
The older I get, the less I want to DIY.

Yeah, I'm getting lazy too. I just like to have the details for the repair and make sure I have the right parts and any special tools if any are required and then just have my indy do it while I watch him. Sometimes I give him a hand when he needs two hands for a particular job. But much cheaper than going to the dealer. He does it faster and better than me anyway as he has the experience.
. ^^ This for me as well ^^

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back