Driver killed in Silicon Valley Tesla crash was playing video game

Status
Not open for further replies.
Lots of people unfortunately die in lots of dumb ways in car accidents.
This example is equally as stupid as drinking and driving.
Or equally as stupid as any other means of dying where the driver does not put safety and sensibility at the forefront.
Tragically, some people step in front of cars to die on purpose.
And I wish none of these things ever happened.

How about you OP, what do you think?

Last edited:
Originally Posted by Imp4
Lots of people unfortunately die in lots of dumb ways in car accidents.
This example is equally as stupid as drinking and driving.
Or equally as stupid as any other means of dying where the driver does not put safety and sensibility at the forefront.
Tragically, some people step in front of cars to die on purpose.
And I wish none of these things ever happened.

How about you OP, what do you think?

Auto Pilot or something similar gives a false sense of security to those who really believe in the tech. Even my youngest son's Genesis which has auto lane control.adaptive cruise conrol etc can lead you to be distracted from the road. I haven't driven a Subaru with their Eye Sight technology..but possibly that should be included if a vehicle has some auto drive functions?

I found this interesting.. "He says the board made recommendations to six automakers in 2017 to stop the problem and only Tesla has failed to respond."

Originally Posted by PimTac
They should have never been allowed to call it Autopilot.

Ding-ding-ding.
We have a winner!
Tesla called its combine of adaptive cruise control and active lane keeping "autopilot".
Some people took this too literally and died as a consequence.
Anything approaching true autonomous operation will require both smart roads and interactive vehicle communication.
We aren't there yet.

Takes some very large berries or a very small knoggin to get in that car and put it on auto pilot and not pay attention.

Auto pilot, drive by wire and all the other wizardry have a calculated risk attached. Wether it`s 1 in 500,000 units or any other number we face/accept the risk.

going down the road 71 mph staring at a phone.
why don't these people just give up & ride a bus?

Originally Posted by MCompact
Evolution in action!

That's about the size of it. Thank God this moron didn't kill other people with his stupidity.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back