Audi Q5 Transmission oil?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a 2014 Audi Q5. I'm not sure which Transmission oil should I use? The transmission is a ZF 8-speed. What type should I use? in case I want to buy it from my local store?

Thanks,

According to fcp euro ZF Lifeguard 8 transmission fluid is equivalent to Shell M-L12108

Originally Posted by The Critic
ZF Lifeguard 8 is the only correct fluid for this application.

Originally Posted by TTK
According to fcp euro ZF Lifeguard 8 transmission fluid is equivalent to Shell M-L12108

The issue that it is very expensive to buy? it cost around 500$ in my country can't I use ATF-4 Penzoil?

Originally Posted by John344
The issue that it is very expensive to buy? it cost around 500$ in my country can't I use ATF-4 Penzoil?

lol.gif

Originally Posted by Trav
Expensive toys are expensive to maintain and repair, use OE fluid and quit crying.

Originally Posted by maxdustington
Originally Posted by John344

lol.gif

How about the coolant? can I use any coolant or I have to stick with the OEM as well?

OE or OE approved formula eg G13. Seriously, Euro vehicles sometimes don't do well on universal type or no spec fluids and can do damage that can cost many thousands.
Rolling the dice is not a game I play with them.

Audi/VW are a PITA when it comes to their fluids. Stick with approved fluids and don't experiment.

I would be very careful with using other coolants. If there is still any of the old stuff in the system and some other type mixes with it the two fluids might gel and plug cooling passages. Pentosin makes many of the factory fluids used in Volkswagens and similar cars. If I was not going to use the dealer's coolant Pentosin would be my other choice. They have 8 different formulas to choose from for all the various vehicles out there. Who knew there are so many? As for the transmission fluid, other vehicles also come with ZF transmissions and you may be able to get the correct fluid for yours cheaper that way. Just be sure that it really is ZF Lifeguard 8 that is just rebranded. Ever notice that the VW branded stuff is in the same style bottle? It just has a different label on it. You must check your cross references, this is how us VW owners with Aisin Warner transmissions have figured out what our fluid really is. That is made possible by forums for other vehicles that have the same transmissions. The OEM fluid is always a safe bet for people who are unsure what theirs really is.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back