Cartridge Filter Question

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey, Everyone.

Quick question. In the past, all of my vehicles had the standard oil can oil filter. When changing oil, I would lube the o-ring, pour a little oil inside the filter, and put it on. In my Tundra, there is a cartridge filter. The filter element slides down over the metal core, and the filter housing is a couple inches tall. I lubed the o-ring, but do I pour oil in the small bottom of that cartridge housing like I did the canister versions or no? Just trying to make sure I don't screw something up because I did not do that when I changed my oil this past weekend. Any harm done ya think? I really just want to know what is best to do for the next change. I appreciate any comments. Thanks!

Is Toyota getting the idea some of their cars have switched back to screw on oil filters. Just sayin the Cartridges never were a good idea.

If you are asking if you can prime the filter (like I always do), go ahead. It won't hurt and just might help. A little anyways...
Plus you might make a mess... All good.

Come to think of it, I've never pre-lubed the o-ring on mine. No issues. YMMV but I've found that the housing and block have plenty of residual oil on them.

I've never pre-filled my cartridges on my two Toyota's either. I suppose I could but knowing me I'd tip it over and make a mess in the garage. Quick moment of clatter (that's what the oil additives are for, right?) and then all is fine.

FWIW I've never used the pre-drain feature on mine. I've toyed with taking that thing off, gooping with Locktite, reinstall into the cannister, and then being able to just shove a 3/8" extension into it for filter removal. No extra tools required. But since I have the socket, it's no real big deal to pull it out... so I haven't made that mod. I just drop the works into the oil pan and clean up afterwards.

I kinda like the paper filter, on the metal ones I feel obligated to cut them open to inspect & to make sure that the metal goes into recycling.

FWIW I just buy my filters online by the box. Last time I did, it was $40 for 10 OEM shipped, with washers included.

Originally Posted by JohnnyJohnson
Is Toyota getting the idea some of their cars have switched back to screw on oil filters. Just sayin the Cartridges never were a good idea.

With cartridges, the OEM has higher cost up-front for the cartridge housing. But then they don't have to deal with the woes of a thread-on oil filter (gasket leaks, seam leaks, thread issues, cannister fatigue holes, variation in pressure relief valves, etc). The moving parts in a thread-on filter are now permanent inside the cartridge housing.

Cartridges are typically cheaper -- less materials, fit more on a pallet, etc.

Most cartridges are located on the top-side of the engine, so much easier and less messy to change, too. Sometimes there's no packaging space under or on side of the engine, so they have no choice but to go up to the top-side.

And (one more) the OEM's can often lock in some patents around their cartridge designs so they can charge more for the service filter, get royalties from competitors, etc.

It's all a formula.

Almost every car I've owned since 1983 used a cartridge filter; I've never had an issue with one.

Originally Posted by IndyFan
I prefer cartridge filters by a wide margin, for lots of reasons. Just change it and go. No need to worry.

Exactly- they are dead easy to change and work at least as well as a canister filter.

Are those cartridges oriented vertically with the cap on top, or cap on bottom? In the 1.8L Toyota's like mine, the cartridge is oriented horizontally, thus pre-filling isn't possible.

Reverting to cartridges was a good idea in most respects, but they seem to be less idiot-proof than spin-on canisters.

I've been changing my Lexus oil, diy, for 5 years. Never use the pre drain feature. Just loosen with an extension. Housing is a nice, solid piece of aluminum. Have never primed as I do with my other vehicles that use spin on standard filter. Not saying which is right or wrong. Just my experience. The price is good also $4-$5 at Toyota dealer. Why aren't the cartridges a good idea?

This is what I was referencing

Originally Posted by Tundra73
Thanks for the replies. I won't worry about priming it. I appreciate it!

I always love how a simple question turns into a deep philosophical discussion about Creation, lol.
cheers3.gif

Originally Posted by Villalobos

This is what I was referencing

He's never explained that.

I'm just curious if I missed something about the Toyota replaceable filter. I try to use best materials I can afford to maintain my cars.

Our Chevy Sonic 1.8l uses a cartridge paper filter , with an O-Ring on the plastic filter cap . New O-Ring comes with the new filter .

I put some oil on the new O-Ring , snap the filter into the filter cap and screw both into the metal part on the engine . W/o priming it .

Seems to work OK .

The filters , ordered from rockauto.com , are a little cheaper than the spin on filters for the Buick 3.8l .

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back