Toyota NA vs Toyota Global...

Status
Not open for further replies.
2019 Toyota Corolla Hatchback XSE, North American Owners Manual recommends a 0W-16 or 0W-20 if 16 is not available. I found it very interesting that Toyota Japan and Toyota Austrailia recommend such a wide range of oil weights for the exact same model and engine combination.

Why wouldn't Toyota NA use the same broad spectrum of oil recommendations listed for Toyota Japan/Australia? MPG regulations?

This just goes to show that many engines can run nearly any weight of engine oil without catrosophic failures.

Personally after seeing the Australian owners manual oil recommendations I would feel comfortable running any oil viscosity listed here in the states.

Screenshot_20200225-110036_Acrobat for Samsung.jpg

Screenshot_20200225-111245_Acrobat for Samsung.jpg

I believe this has been discussed on the forum in the past. I've posted myself some info on my dad's camry that he owns in Eastern part of the world that specifies huge range of oil grades allowed to be used where's NA manual says 0w20 only. This proves again that "Tight tolerances" do not warrant only thin oils to be used.

Just to prove that oil is oil.
The car engines don't care, as long as it is oil.
Despite what people think, the car is soul-less. LOL!!!

Toyota engine is not picky.

Who cares what Toyota Japan or Toyota Australia recommends? Unless u live there. Id bet you could run anything without issue, but id use 0w16 or 0w20 for warranty purposes. What negative is there running 0w16 or 0w20? I cant think of any.

Just an observation I found interesting since most OEMs recommend a certain weight when in reality one could probably run whatever.

It tells right there "for cold weather starting" America has very cold weather and they sell the cars to be used in those areas in the winter including Alaska. It's also up to each division like Toyota USA to make their own determinations and warranty service.

Toyota has also implemented a variable-volume oil pump on their new Dynamic Force engines rolling out with TNGA(but the 2016-present Prius still soldiers on with the 2ZR-FXE) but from a chat between The Critic and me, a different oil filter is used with 0W-16 service, while the standard issue F1/F2/B9(and the Wix/Fram replacements for which) are used with 0W-20 and thicker.

I'd stick with 0W-16 and not lose sleep over it. Toyota engineered the engine with 0W-16 in mind and the Japanese has been shipping cars with "thin" oil. Japanese and American driving isn't far different. Toyota is hamstrung by CAFE to list 0W-16 but also "thicker" oil is more appropriate for desert/tropical climates and dirtier gas like in Southeast Asia/South Asia(India/Pakistan/Bangladesh/Sri Lanka) and the Australian bush.

Originally Posted by BMWTurboDzl
Possible explanation: Higher sulfur levels in AUS gasoline.

Australia follows Euro specs for emissions and fuels. They are one of the major downstream producers for the Asia Pacific region but not as much as they did.

one theory :
NA is in general like leading edge of technology and new concepts are tested and/or tried here before other parts of the world ... It's like CA having more issues/concerns with lead than other states.

I don't see any difference between US and international recommendations. US manual states a higher viscosity may be better suitable if the vehicle is operated at extreme speeds. They don't put an upper viscosity limit in US. There is no need to deviate from 0W-16 and lose mpg for 99% of driving conditions. I am averaging 70 mpg on gasoline on my Prius Prime with 0W-16.

One reason you see this in international manuals is the availability of oils abroad. I know in many countries 0W-20 and 5W-20 may not be available and 5W-30 may be rare, let alone 0W-16.

Originally Posted by Rolla07
Who cares what Toyota Japan or Toyota Australia recommends? Unless u live there.

Agreed wholeheartedly.
My intent with mentioning the Japanese specs was to illustrate the somewhat odd notion that because it comes from overseas and it may be different, then it must somehow also be better.
It's an idea that pervades these boards.
Oddly, few posters seem to cherry pick the instances where a light weight oil is specified. And that puzzles me.

In Australia they also start at $23,700 with no options and require 91 octane gasoline.

Another thing is their Australian warranty, the only cover if you use genuine Toyota parts and have it serviced by a non-Toyota repairer, including for all maintenance.

Originally Posted by wdn
In Australia they also start at $23,700 with no options and require 91 octane gasoline.

IIRC, Australia uses RON, so their 91 is equivalent to the USA's 87.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back