New Ford Escape...1.0 liter...really?

Status
Not open for further replies.
A 2.3/automatic Tempo was a fairly painful car to drive...the 3-speed slushbox made for a very slow car that still used a lot of gas.). It was MUCH better with a 5-speed.

Originally Posted by Jarlaxle
A 2.3/automatic Tempo was a fairly painful car to drive...the 3-speed slushbox made for a very slow car that still used a lot of gas.). It was MUCH better with a 5-speed.

I've never owned a vehicle that wasn't better with a 5 speed.

My 6.2 diesel was transformed into a different suburban after trading the 3 speed for a 5mt

Originally Posted by Quattro Pete
Originally Posted by grampi
It is an Eco Sport. To be honest, I thought that was a trim level for the Escape...didn't know it was a different model...I'm so out of the loop on new vehicles...still seems like a lot of vehicle for a 1.0 liter engine, even one that has a turbo, but the owner actually says it's pretty peppy...

I'm still confused why you thought it was a "huge vehicle." Maybe compared to a Smart or a Yugo.
smile.gif

I said it's a huge vehicle for 1.0 liter engine, and it is...

I think you may be a bit behind the times. They put a 1.5 in the escape, GM has a 1.5 in the equinox i believe. GM also has a 2.7 4 cylinder in the new Silverado. This is where ICE tech is going currently.

Luxury vehicles though like Volvo XC90 Suv and the Audi Q7(largest) suv use 2.0L engines with forced induction, both are much larger then Escape and can carry 7 passengers and have 0-60 times below 7. 1.0L does not seem out of line.

It is an Eco Sport. To be honest, I thought that was a trim level for the Escape...didn't know it was a different model...I'm so out of the loop on new vehicles...still seems like a lot of vehicle for a 1.0 liter engine, even one that has a turbo, but the owner actually says it's pretty peppy...

I'm still confused why you thought it was a "huge vehicle." Maybe compared to a Smart or a Yugo.
smile.gif

I said it's a huge vehicle for 1.0 liter engine, and it is...

We used to own a stakeside farm truck that only had a four banger under the hood.

Times change and the power output of the smaller engines today far surpasses most anything of the past fifty years.

It's just an adjustment for me to see vehicles with 2.0 liter engines in them that 5 or 10 years ago would've had a 5.0 liter V-8...

Originally Posted by Cujet

Ha, that was a true low point and a fine example of it.

However, today's vehicles perform very well. You would have to look long and hard to find a slower new car than the 1.0 ecosport.

I wasn't even born but it just seems like during the malaise era the Big 3 was riding a high wave on muscle cars and the Clean Air Act as well as the two oil crises in the Middle East hit them like a upper cut to face and emissions controls at the time were crude. Ford probably faired a little better than GM or Chrysler due to their European arm to help them out(and introduce them to Bosch despite Ford-affiliated Bendix pioneering fuel injection). GM seemed to struggle the most but they somehow showed off being creative like keeping the carburetor alive until the 1990s, the Grand National(!) and bringing turbos into the mainstream.

I can say the Prius is as much of a dog compared to the EcoSport on paper, but in practice it feels surprisingly quick. I remember as a kid riding around in a Pontiac 1000 and a Toyota van, the 1000/Chevette was a slug and the van was quirky. It was of course powered by a forklift engine.

It's just an adjustment for me to see vehicles with 2.0 liter engines in them that 5 or 10 years ago would've had a 5.0 liter V-8...

These days most V8 are so powerful, and with cylinder deactivation they are practically running as an inline 4 all the time.

Originally Posted by PandaBear
These days most V8 are so powerful, and with cylinder deactivation they are practically running as an inline 4 all the time.

The only time my Charger runs on 4 cylinders is when I cruise at 55 mph on a perfectly level terrain.

Originally Posted by PandaBear

The only time my Charger runs on 4 cylinders is when I cruise at 55 mph on a perfectly level terrain.

Yup, my Jeep, you have to be pretty light on the pedal for it to go into 4-popper mode, though it does do it in town at ~60Km/h. The wife's truck is much more aggressive with the MDS, but it also has that dampening system so you really have to pay attention to determine if it is on or not.

And I hear of much less issues here with the Mopar MDS, compared to GM's AFM and Honda VCM. I've always said there some smart engineers at Mopar.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back