International travel for pleasure

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pew

Hi folks,

I solo travel around CONUS for fun a lot (hiking trips) and lately I've been throwing around the idea of travelling outside of the USA and Canada. Other than a Caribbean cruise I've never been to another country where English isn't the official language and I really want to go down to Patagonia, Israel, Alps, etc.

English is my only language so I've been wondering for those of you that travel to a country where your primary language is not the official language, how do you manage? Any tips/what to do/not to do? Anybody have any cool or crazy stories they're willing to share?

Last edited:
No worries at all. I've been to africa, middle east, asia pacific, europe with english not being an official language - no issues. Majority still speaks some english. If you're planning to go deep in the country just to do some studying prior to going - learn some basic words that would help you to get fed and such. Enjoy the travels and be safe. More important is to make sure you have all vaccinations in place and are aware of all the "weird" laws of the country you're visiting. You'd be surprised how many countries have laws against thing that are considered normal elsewhere which can easily get you in trouble.

Most of the countries where one would travel to-if you stick to the places that are popular with tourists, as stated above you will have no issues.

However-if you venture FAR AWAY from the tourists spots-then you might find less English speaking.

Recently visited Quebec-French is the official language. Yet-didn't run any to ANYBODY who didn't speak English (better than some Americans-BTW) if you asked them.

Wife and I went to Italy with our son and his wife two years ago, for 10 days. We got along fine without speaking any Italian. Tried to learn a few simple phrases before we went, but the locals switched to english for us as soon as we started butchering their language
lol.gif

I've been all over western Europe, never had a language barrier until I was in the Czech Republic. The Czechs generally learn German as their second language, but I didn't have too much trouble in touristy Prague.

As long as you are polite and make a good-faith effort at greeting folks in their native language, they'll be happy to help you out in English. See if you can learn "Hi, do you speak English?" in the native languages where you plan to travel. You'll do just fine, and have amazing experiences.

Originally Posted by DriveHard
get the google translate app for your phone, they are awesome!!! Got me out of some sticky spots in China before.

In China you are very hard pressed to find anybody but the tour guides who speak English.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by CKN
get the google translate app for your phone, they are awesome!!! Got me out of some sticky spots in China before.

In China you are very hard pressed to find anybody but the tour guides who speak English.

When was the last time you were in China? English was very commonly spoken by everyone under 30 when I was there last year. A lot more common than it was on my first trip about 10 years ago.

Friend of mine went to Japan on vacation last year. He doesn't speak a word of Japanese or know how to use chopsticks to even like Japanese food. He had a great time.

Last edited:
English is widely spoken throughout the world, so language will rarely be a barrier.
You should think of where you'd like to go and what you'd like to do and see.
The hot tourists spots are just as lovely off-season as they are vacant, so that is a consideration, aside from everything being cheaper.
ATM, we have Peru on our bucket list. Just so much to see. Maybe Cambodia as well?
It's always fun to travel and see things you've never seen before other than in photos.
So many places to go and such widespread availability of cheap air tickets.

Like others said:
-learn couple local words
-google maps/some paper map on you
-do not wear flashy things/phones/etc
-watch some Rick Steves Europe on PBS
-go with an open mind
-DO NOT BE THE TYPICAL AMERICAN!

Went to Germany this past summer and had little to no issues not speaking a word of German. Most speak some English, have english menus and all that good stuff. Wasn't bad at all!

Flew into/out of Frankfurt, but drove to Cologne, Netherlands, Dusseldorf, Rust (Southwest Germany) over to Munich and Bamberg... Before driving back to Frankfurt to head home.

Headed back again this year (to/from Munich) so we can finish up our sightseeing in the Alps, Castles and of course, plenty more beer!

Last edited:
Originally Posted by Leo99
Originally Posted by CKN

When was the last time you were in China? English was very commonly spoken by everyone under 30 when I was there last year. A lot more common than it was on my first trip about 10 years ago.

Friend of mine went to Japan on vacation last year. He doesn't speak a word of Japanese or know how to use chopsticks to even like Japanese food. He had a great time.

There are hundreds of millions of people in China studying English, but less than 1% of Mainland Chinese are conversational, according to some estimates. Not surprisingly, more English is spoken in China's large cities than in the smaller towns.

Originally Posted by CKN
Originally Posted by CKN

There are hundreds of millions of people in China studying English, but less than 1% of Mainland Chinese are conversational, according to some estimates. Not surprisingly, more English is spoken in China's large cities than in the smaller towns.

I purposely wander about on my own in China and attempt to be successful at mundane tasks. Such as a haircut. It's an interesting experience and experiment. If the people can't speak English they know who does and get them.

My first trip to France no one spoke English at the restaurant and I ate filet Americain. I made a bad guess as to what that is. Makes a good story and isn't that what international travel is all about. Wasn't until I got home that I found out what I ate. It was pretty good.

My first trip to France no one spoke English at the restaurant and I ate filet Americain. I made a bad guess as to what that is.

lol.gif

Was it named that way to intentionally confuse the poor Americans?

Originally Posted by Quattro Pete
My first trip to France no one spoke English at the restaurant and I ate filet Americain. I made a bad guess as to what that is.

lol.gif

Was it named that way to intentionally confuse the poor Americans?

Probably sounded better than Filet Tartare or Belgian Toast Cannibal (Who came with these names????)

P.S. If this is what they think about American Cowboys, I wonder what they think about South-American Gauchos...

P.S. Leo99: Something something about spill tea and keyboard

Last edited:
Originally Posted by pandus13
Like others said:
-learn couple local words
-google maps/some paper map on you
-do not wear flashy things/phones/etc
-watch some Rick Steves Europe on PBS
-go with an open mind
-DO NOT BE THE TYPICAL AMERICAN!

LOL That's one thing I've always been self-aware about. I'm always quiet, keep to myself, avoid any unneeded trouble, and be respectful regardless of where I'm travelling too. I was actually surprised when a young lady working at Banff's visitor center correctly guessed where I was from because of my Chicago 'accent'.

Last edited:
Maybe learn the phrase, "I'm not feeling well, can you direct me to the nearest medical facility?"

English is the international language of business. Most places where tourists go some of the staff will speak English.

Many foreign people understand English but are embarrassed to speak it as the fear their English will not be spoken properly.

The money is another issue. Especially without glasses. I have more than once held out my hand with a pile of foreign coins and let the shopkeeper pick the correct ones. Trust.

Originally Posted by Donald
English is the international language of business. Most places where tourists go some of the staff will speak English.

Many foreign people understand English but are embarrassed to speak it as the fear their English will not be spoken properly.

The money is another issue. Especially without glasses. I have more than once held out my hand with a pile of foreign coins and let the shopkeeper pick the correct ones. Trust.

I've had plenty of people in China come up to me and start speaking in English. Either pretty young women to practice their language skills or guys that want to show off to their friends that they can speak English. That's in the more touristy places. Or rather places where you might see a Westerner. I've been places where I don't see any other Westerners for a week. You'd think being the only Westerner wandering around the streets would draw some looks or interest but it seems people will go out of their way to pay me no attention. I always get the feeling they suspect I might be some sort of a spy and they are always on their best behavior to not do anything offensive.

I've done the same thing with coins and money when traveling. No problems with that.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back