Ford Edge owners chime in

Status
Not open for further replies.
We bought a 2018 Edge SEL, 3.5 AWD, first new vehicle in 40+ years for us. It now has 19k miles. We considered the Sport version but didn't want to spend the extra 5k. Wife likes the navigation and overall really likes driving it. Also like the tight ride, quiet interior, handles well enough, good brakes and runs well enough. At a constant 72-73 in warm weather, we get 23-27 mpg, depending on conditions. If doing it again I would consider the Titanium or Sport model for better sound system, better headlights and the Sport for the 2.7.

Of the first generstion Edge (pre-2015), Consumer Reports said this:
Edge is a marginal performer in Consumer Reports' tests (scoring 66 out of 100 points), with much-worse-than-average reliability, subpar refinement and dynamics, and worse-than-average owner costs.

Originally Posted by wdn
Of the first generstion Edge (pre-2015), Consumer Reports said this:
Edge is a marginal performer in Consumer Reports' tests (scoring 66 out of 100 points), with much-worse-than-average reliability, subpar refinement and dynamics, and worse-than-average owner costs.

Consumer Reports and their thousands of responders are not as relevant as 3-5 forum member's brother-in-law's who have at least 20K miles on the vehicle in the last 3 years.

Originally Posted by Ws6
Originally Posted by Black_Thunder
My brother and his wife have a 2013, they bought it used with only 30k on it. Has the 3.5 which moves it down the road nicely.

its a very nice vehicle, its the higher end model so it has the gadgets etc and the interior is nice

they've done very little work to it, just regular oil changes etc. Only threw engine fault once since they had it and it was an Evap code which happens with capless fuel fill that just gets gummed up here and there so you just have to clean/lube it and its fine.

I changed the PTU fluid on it and yes that stuff needs to be changed regularly because of the location it gets hot etc.

but I've driven it down the road and they ride really nice and the headlights are awesome.

eventually I might be in the market for one but I'd probably go for the 2.7 ecoboost
smile.gif

I thought about an Edge before getting my CX5, but the power just isn't there. The 2.7 Ecoboost is now rated at 335bhp, and 380# of torque, and it is backed by an 8-speed transmission. It's acceleration stats are 0-60 in 5.7, and 1/4 mile in 14.3@98mph. This is the new Edge ST model, and using C&D's stats (I find they are usually the quickest).

That's just really unimpressive to me. If I was going to buy a vehicle in this class, it would be a BMW M340i or SQ5. I doubt the Edge is any more reliable, based on my experience with my girlfriend's, and these would slaughter it in any comparison you chose to have except maybe "area in the hatch space" or something. I'd definitely buy this class of vehicle pre-owned, certified, due to the massive depreciation they suffer.

I would imagine most people buying this type of vehicle don't really care about 1/4 mile times as they aren't likely taking them to the track.

Yeah … the only Edge owner I know is mid 70's … she's had it for 6 years trouble free but surely does not drive hard other than lots of short trips.

Originally Posted by grampi
Originally Posted by wallyuwl
We had a 2014, last year of that generation and quality was still less than great. Ford quality in general has only gone down since. If you get one, I would lease.

I've notice just the opposite with Ford...their vehicles seem to keep getting better...

Might be some specific models or model years that stand out if you are talking first-hand experience. I wouldn't find that hard to believe but I think specifics like that help if you care to mention them.

If you like the size and styling of the Mazda CX-5, that's what I'm picturing in a downsize option. I mention it because they've been out for a while so you might have a good shot at picking model year by price range, mileage or styling your prefer. If in good supply, that helps create a soft market.
grin.gif

I don't recall if they had any notable bugs or glitches in the first year or few but I do know they've been consistently rated high, get decent mpg and I'd expect ride and handling similar to our CX-9 - a blend of sporty and pep without lumbering body roll. Ours has been a great vehicle in every respect going on 4 years, purchased as 'new' with a few thousand on it as a manager demo. It was ingrained in me from years of Car and Driver perusing in the 70's that the euro or Japanese fit, finish and quality was thoroughly another league from the Big Three and although "we" have ramped up long ago and improved in great strides, the fit finish and solidity as per ratings, shoot outs or other comparison's put that CX in some top running.
There are lots of good options though and folks that can offer first-hand longer term input should give you some helpful considerations. Best of Luck !

~ b

Last edited:
Originally Posted by Ws6
My brother and his wife have a 2013, they bought it used with only 30k on it. Has the 3.5 which moves it down the road nicely.

its a very nice vehicle, its the higher end model so it has the gadgets etc and the interior is nice

they've done very little work to it, just regular oil changes etc. Only threw engine fault once since they had it and it was an Evap code which happens with capless fuel fill that just gets gummed up here and there so you just have to clean/lube it and its fine.

I changed the PTU fluid on it and yes that stuff needs to be changed regularly because of the location it gets hot etc.

but I've driven it down the road and they ride really nice and the headlights are awesome.

eventually I might be in the market for one but I'd probably go for the 2.7 ecoboost
smile.gif

I thought about an Edge before getting my CX5, but the power just isn't there. The 2.7 Ecoboost is now rated at 335bhp, and 380# of torque, and it is backed by an 8-speed transmission. It's acceleration stats are 0-60 in 5.7, and 1/4 mile in 14.3@98mph. This is the new Edge ST model, and using C&D's stats (I find they are usually the quickest).

That's just really unimpressive to me. If I was going to buy a vehicle in this class, it would be a BMW M340i or SQ5. I doubt the Edge is any more reliable, based on my experience with my girlfriend's, and these would slaughter it in any comparison you chose to have except maybe "area in the hatch space" or something. I'd definitely buy this class of vehicle pre-owned, certified, due to the massive depreciation they suffer.

I would imagine most people buying this type of vehicle don't really care about 1/4 mile times as they aren't likely taking them to the track.

Then why are they spending the money to get the ST/Sport model, if NOT for the acceleration? You really think it's just for towing or something?

We bought an Explorer Sport … it came with a 3.5L eB … but really wanted it for the 4WD and interior

Originally Posted by john_pifer
Originally Posted by Imp4
Originally Posted by john_pifer
Originally Posted by NormanBuntz
Subaru Forester, Honda CRV or Toyota RAV4 unless you enjoy frequent trips to the Ford dealer.

Total hogwash.

How many Ford Edges, or any Ford with the Duratec V6, for that matter have you owned, Norman?

So, this is a strawman comment.
Why does one need to be a product owner in order to make an informed comment about its reliability?
If a product is known to be of poor quality, then owners would be some of the last people I would consult.
They're the ones making poor buying decisions when good information is readily available.

That's laughable.

Where do you think reliability data comes from (the "good information" you reference)?

A member of my immediate family has a lot of personal experience with the Ford Edge, and I can highly recommend it, based on that experience, going all the way back to 2007.

I don't have time currently to relay that experience (I'm at work at the moment), but, when I get off later, I will.

Right, and what you are doing when presenting that recommendation is you are basing it on an anecdote. Just like any other personal recommendation, good or bad, is based on an anecdote.
It is only when the sum of experiences are analyzed can one then arrive at an information based, critical thinking decision.
John Pifer's comment was:
Originally Posted by John_Pifer
How many Ford Edges, or any Ford with the Duratec V6, for that matter have you owned, Norman?

This question is completely irrelevant to the evaluation of the subject at hand because it implies that only an owner can make an informed, critical thinking decision.
QED.

When I posted this thread I kind of expected the comments to be all over the place, and you guys haven't disappointed. I feel like I would get the same responses no matter what vehicle I was asking about. Everybody has their likes and dislikes, their own personal experiences, and their research findings. Probably the best thing for me to do would be to go look at, and drive several different comparable makes and models and then make a decision. My initial attraction to the Edge was because my wife and both think it's a nice looking vehicle, and we have owned Fords in the past and they have been good, reliable vehicles...

Originally Posted by 4WD
We bought an Explorer Sport … it came with a 3.5L eB … but really wanted it for the 4WD and interior

What interior option did it have that Titanium didn't? 4wd isnt unique to the sport at all either.

When I posted this thread I kind of expected the comments to be all over the place, and you guys haven't disappointed. I feel like I would get the same responses no matter what vehicle I was asking about. Everybody has their likes and dislikes, their own personal experiences, and their research findings. Probably the best thing for me to do would be to go look at, and drive several different comparable makes and models and then make a decision. My initial attraction to the Edge was because my wife and both think it's a nice looking vehicle, and we have owned Fords in the past and they have been good, reliable vehicles...

Drive it and let us know. You are paying for it, not us.

Probably the best thing for me to do would be to go look at, and drive several different comparable makes and models and then make a decision.

thumbsup2.gif

That is exactly how new car shopping should be done.

It was on the lot and the right combination … point being we didn't care if it was the fastest in the sector

My parents have a 2011, so its fairly outdated as far as tech (sync 2) and its before the refreshed design. But overall its held up well. They have the 3.5 V6. It actually returns decent fuel economy considering the AWD and hasn't had any mechanical issues up to its 60k miles.

I might suggest looking at the newly designed Escape. They did make the Escape a bit larger, and it has some great features. One thing about the Edge to me always seemed that while it was large on the outside, you didn't really feel that space on the inside. Similar to the Taurus.

Originally Posted by HemiHawk
My parents have a 2011, so its fairly outdated as far as tech (sync 2) and its before the refreshed design. But overall its held up well. They have the 3.5 V6. It actually returns decent fuel economy considering the AWD and hasn't had any mechanical issues up to its 60k miles.

I might suggest looking at the newly designed Escape. They did make the Escape a bit larger, and it has some great features. One thing about the Edge to me always seemed that while it was large on the outside, you didn't really feel that space on the inside. Similar to the Taurus.

I have not seen the interior of either the newer Escape or the Edge. I wonder if the Edge has more interior space?

Originally Posted by HemiHawk

The escape is playing in a tough field. Mazda dominates that field. The RAV4 Prime is also sure to be a very heavy hitter.

Originally Posted by Ws6
The escape is playing in a tough field. Mazda dominates that field. The RAV4 Prime is also sure to be a very heavy hitter.

I know you love your Mazda, but they definitely don't dominate the field. In 2019 the CX5 was outsold by (in order) the Rav4, CR-V, Rogue, Equinox, Grand Cherokee, Escape, Highlander, Wrangler, Cherokee, Explorer, Outback, and Forester.

Originally Posted by glock19
Originally Posted by Ws6

I know you love your Mazda, but they definitely don't dominate the field. In 2019 the CX5 was outsold by (in order) the Rav4, CR-V, Rogue, Equinox, Grand Cherokee, Escape, Highlander, Wrangler, Cherokee, Explorer, Outback, and Forester.

I don't mean numbers wise. I mean at the price point for what you get, although I do think the new Forester is very nice inside, the lack of the 2.0T leaves it as one of the most boring on-road options. Highlander is more like the Edge. Outback with the upgraded engine is a solid call if you like CVT's. Grand Cherokee...no. It's not in the same league as the others unless you like repairs. The RAV4 has been a massive swing and miss according to pretty much everyone, but the Prime might be its redemption. The Equinox is okay. Wrangler is the same size, but really not the same type of vehicle.

Sales doesn't determine domination in my book, or I'd have to say that the Rogue is one of the best CUVs, and just no...I don't think ANYONE would make that claim.

https://www.caranddriver.com/featur...CytMHS1-1GSG8x2PuTsXebDFZ3NlrJguD2Qargk4

Also, and I know I am likely in the minority here, but cruising dB in the cabin has quickly risen to the top of the list of things I look for in "driving experience" in an SUV type vehicle. I take 10-14 hour road trips, and the ambient noise has a drastic effect on how I feel when I arrive. Quieter the better. My current vehicle is around 67-68dB, and I find that on the edge of acceptable. A lot of these CUV's are 70dB+, which really just wears on me.

Originally Posted by Ws6
Originally Posted by glock19
Originally Posted by Ws6

I don't mean numbers wise. I mean at the price point for what you get, although I do think the new Forester is very nice inside, the lack of the 2.0T leaves it as one of the most boring on-road options. Highlander is more like the Edge. Outback with the upgraded engine is a solid call if you like CVT's. Grand Cherokee...no. It's not in the same league as the others unless you like repairs. The RAV4 has been a massive swing and miss according to pretty much everyone, but the Prime might be its redemption. The Equinox is okay. Wrangler is the same size, but really not the same type of vehicle.

Sales doesn't determine domination in my book, or I'd have to say that the Rogue is one of the best CUVs, and just no...I don't think ANYONE would make that claim.

https://www.caranddriver.com/featur...CytMHS1-1GSG8x2PuTsXebDFZ3NlrJguD2Qargk4

Fair enough, I thought you were talking about dominating the market sales-wise.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back