Sams Club gas

Status
Not open for further replies.
Anyone know where they get they're gas from?
Wondering if it's worth getting 91 octane at Shell for 1.25 more per gallon. It's for my ZL1 supercharged Camaro.
Thx in advance. O

$1.25 a gallon buys a lot of Techron. I'd run the Sam's for sure. The base gas is most likely coming from the same place.

One thing I've learned is that Shell is the most expensive fuel by far.
I have no idea if it's any better than other sellers top grades.
Are there any "Top Tier" regional brands near you?
Fuels are made in bulk and are said to be tailored to the seller's spec.

The base gas is all a generic commodity. Various refineries pump it into the pipeline, the pipeline dumps it at the tank farm, trucks load at the tank farm... The branded additives are mixed as the trucks are loaded. Walmart base gas is the same as Shell, Mobil, Sunoco, Marathon, Tesoro, or whatever you have in your local market. The additives are the only difference. If you aren't using Top Tier, then run a bottle of your favorite PEA cleaner every 5k. You can buy a LOT of Techron or Gumout with the money you save on the $1.25/gallon difference!

Stick with Top Tier gas and don't worry. I would definitely be running a Top Tier if I had a GDI equipped vehicle.

My bone stock supercharged Lightning will detonate on cheap high octane gas from Sam's and Kroger.

Unless you like draining your wallet needlessly, fill up at Sams.
I have been burning Warehouse Club gas forever without issue.
I'm sure with that price differential, they have plenty of volume, therefore, the fuel should be fresh.
If it makes you feel better, dump some Techron through on a regular basis.
And......bank the savings!

Originally Posted by LotI
Sams Club isn't listed on the Top Tier website.

Right, neither is BJs, but Costco is. All the other gas stations have the EPA minimum which is supposed to be enough for all cars. This kinda reminds me of flair from Office Space.

Originally Posted by Kira
One thing I've learned is that Shell is the most expensive fuel by far.
I have no idea if it's any better than other sellers top grades.
Are there any "Top Tier" regional brands near you?
Fuels are made in bulk and are said to be tailored to the seller's spec.

That just depends where you live... Chevron and EXXON are the most expensive vs Shell.

Originally Posted by dadto2
The base gas is all a generic commodity. Various refineries pump it into the pipeline, the pipeline dumps it at the tank farm, trucks load at the tank farm... The branded additives are mixed as the trucks are loaded. Walmart base gas is the same as Shell, Mobil, Sunoco, Marathon, Tesoro, or whatever you have in your local market. The additives are the only difference. If you aren't using Top Tier, then run a bottle of your favorite PEA cleaner every 5k. You can buy a LOT of Techron or Gumout with the money you save on the $1.25/gallon difference!

The base fuel is a commodity, and the primary distributors are pipeline operators like Plains All American, Colonial, Kinder Morgan, etc. Even for relatively short distances, it makes more sense to transport via pipeline than via truck. Longer distances may be transported by rail, although pipelines are still cheaper.

The job of the pipeline operator is kind of like a bank. Put it in here. Withdraw it there. The customer (the gas station) doesn't really care if the money that an uncle sent three states away at a bank branch is the same money that the nephew withdraws at a different bank. The pipeline operators figure out how to get X amount of fuel at a certain terminal. It may even be blended from different refineries with product that meets the requirements. I guess there is a little bit of inefficiency in the transmix unless they're willing to use pigs to prevent mixing. But the transmix is then re-refined.

In my area it's no sure thing where the fuel comes from. The closest fuel terminals to me are in Richmond, California, which has a prime location near fuel tanker docks and one refinery. There's Chevron, Kinder Morgan, Phillips 66 (their refinery is in Rodeo about 7 miles away), and TransMontaigne (acquired from Plains All American). They're constantly horse trading, especially when there are refinery accidents or planned maintenance.

I always try and hit Texaco or Chevron since they ALL have Techron in them

2nd choice is Exxon/Mobil stations and if connected with a 7-11 are CHEAPEST prices in town !!

Avg price in DFW is $2.00 a gallon
banana2.gif
19.gif

One of my old Oklahoma buddies dad delivered fuel for Shell and said Walmart/Sams Club,Circle K and 7-11 brand fuel are TRASH and wouldn't even use it in his ex-wifes car
shocked2.gif

Dave

Last edited:
Originally Posted by GMguy84

2nd choice is Exxon/Mobil stations and if connected with a 7-11 are CHEAPEST prices in town !!

banana2.gif
19.gif

One of my old Oklahoma buddies dad delivered fuel for Shell and said Walmart/Sams Club,Circle K and 7-11 brand fuel are TRASH and wouldn't even use it in his ex-wifes car
shocked2.gif

Dave

How would a truck driver knew how good or bad fuel is that he was delivering? unless he took a sip of course lol

Last edited:
My go-to stations based on location and traffic

Texaco
Chevron (the SFS 2.0T gets this exclusively)
Mobil
Exxon
Shell
Marathon
Costco
WaWa when in the mood for 89 oct non-ethynol
Race Track when near my mom's/brother's house.

9/10 times I'm filling up at Kroger or Walmart and I've never had any issues, nor has anyone I know. To me "Top-Tier" fuel is nothing but a myth. I buy gas wherever its cheap and convenient.

Originally Posted by nwjones18
9/10 times I'm filling up at Kroger or Walmart and I've never had any issues, nor has anyone I know. To me "Top-Tier" fuel is nothing but a myth. I buy gas wherever its cheap and convenient.

It's not a myth per se. It's a demonstrable performance standard regarding the fuel additive. However, it doesn't make the quality of the base fuel any better. Theoretically a suitable bottled aftermarket additive could be similar to Top Tier, although it couldn't be advertised as meeting Top Tier requirements.

The only additive I recall that claims to meet a specific engine cleanliness requirement is from BMW. Red Line had a single bottle additive they claimed was equivalent in performance.

Originally Posted by parshisa
Originally Posted by GMguy84

banana2.gif
19.gif

shocked2.gif

Dave

How would a truck driver knew how good or bad fuel is that he was delivering? unless he took a sip of course lol

Or he was sabotaging the delivery by adding water or something.

I've started running Chevron and Texaco exclusively since I noticed my Colorado having more power and running more smoothly than when using other brands.

The gas mileage didn't get better like I thought it would and the extra power and smoothness isn't like I got a new engine. Mainly, I noticed the boost when getting on the interstate or other times I need a quick burst of speed.

My Colorado has the I5 engine which has a reputation of being rough so I was surprised with the improvement. If I'm ever in a situation where my brands are in a high crime/death rate part of town, I would use Sam's, Kroger, Costco or whatever without hesitation. It's not an obsession.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back