High performance Jag, oil NOT changed for 3.5 years...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi All,

I've put money down on what is a once in a lifetime purchase based in my means.
A 5.0L Supercharged Jaguar XKR. I've since been advised that the vehicle hasn't been serviced for the past 3.5 years, 3000miles covered in this period.
Please could I ask for the help of the forums collective wisdom to help me understand this situation and navigate the risk this presents...
How much damage could this have done to the engine? With a oil change would any effects be halted? How would this effect the value of the vehicle on resale?

Thanks

Here in US, we have pre-purchase inspection.

I suggest you do the same, with and independent that knows the car. Some things don't like sitting. Also, it depends how it was stored.

And change the oil. And the tires.(I would guess, they would have more than enough "meat", but the grip in dry and wet would be not really be there)

Originally Posted by Newbie111
past 3.5 years, 3000miles covered in this period.

The engine should be fine, it's the miles or hours of engine run time that matters, sitting doing nothing and not burning fuel is not be a big problem.

The tyres probably have a flat spot, the battery is probably dead, the brakes may be squeaking and stiff to begin with. As long as the brakes haven't seized and the wheel bearings are OK it should be just minor issues.

A 5.0L Supercharged Jaguar XKR

Nice car

Last edited:
That in and of itself wouldn't scare me off, but I would certainly go through the car with a fine toothed comb. Maybe other areas of the car have been neglected. Maybe not.

>The car's been sitting (I suppose) but assessing any value to that relevant to agreed price, would be hard to do.
>Please supply the year, mileage and other pertinent info.
>Inspect before you buy. Any vehicle can be neglected
>Alternators don't take to sitting. Run it, sure, but don't be surprised if it fritzes.
>Batteries go with time and sitting idle.
>Make sure the spare and a jack is in the boot. (attempt at humor).
>aquariuscsm's practice of changing all fluids on a "NTY" vehicle = GOOD

Originally Posted by aquariuscsm
Every time I bring a car home, the very first thing I do is change all the fluids.

Same here. And its more urgent for me to do it quicker if the seller/dealer keeps pushing "I just serviced xxxx" towards their pricing. My most recent purchase (my Tundra) dealer flaunted the oil change done just "yesterday!!. Umm yeah, the filter canister was double gasketed.

Originally Posted by aquariuscsm
Every time I bring a car home, the very first thing I do is change all the fluids.

I used to but now i just assess them. If its running good and it passes the sniff and feel test I'm driving the puppy as is.

I now, after many life's lessons, never assume what YOU are going to do is " miles better" than where it is presently.

If possible, have a technician check for a battery draw. My MIL bought a '96 XK (46,000 original miles) for my nephew for graduation, and consistently after 5-6 days of sitting, no start. Jaguar could not find the source of the draw. An independent tech finally installed a power coupling at the battery so they could power down the car when parked. P.I.T.A.

The car sat around a lot, and the brake pads had lost about 50% of their grab, even though they had plenty of meat on them. It took a lot of pedal pressure to stop the car. Beware of this. Failing knock sensors are common on the 4.0, not sure about the 5.0. They don't make themselves known until you've been driving for a while. Suddenly, the car will buck, and then you get a CEL. Fairly cheap to replace if you do it yourself.

The car is a 2011 XKR with 25,000 miles. It is on a trickle charger when not being used.

I have read that oil will be begin to degrade even when not used. My confidence is being restored by yourselves. Would the oil not have degraded at risk of harming engine with 3.5 years and 3000mikes since last change?
Aside from engine oil and brake fluid, are there any other fluids that would need changing?

The car is a 2011 XKR with 25,000 miles. It is on a trickle charger when not being used.

I have read that oil will be begin to degrade even when not used. My confidence is being restored by yourselves. Would the oil not have degraded at risk of harming engine with 3.5 years and 3000mikes since last change?
Aside from engine oil and brake fluid, are there any other fluids that would need changing?

I'd also look at doing a few drain & fills on the autobox and diff. Does it have a hydraulic PAS system?

You could do the coolant but I'd wait until it's 10th birthday.

What part of the UK are you from?

Last edited:

Where have you read that?

Originally Posted by kschachn

Where have you read that?

So motor oil lasts forever?

Originally Posted by PowerSurge

Lol, let's just make stuff up that was never said. Did I say that? What I posted was a question, a little comprehension is appreciated.

Motor oil does not last forever in service but it does not continually degrade while not in service. Products of combustion are what contribute to the degradation of the oil's properties, especially the TBN. Acidic compounds to not magically appear when the oil is not in service.

Originally Posted by kschachn
Originally Posted by PowerSurge

Lol, let's just make stuff up that was never said. Did I say that? What I posted was a question, a little comprehension is appreciated.

Motor oil does not last forever in service but it does not continually degrade while not in service. Products of combustion are what contribute to the degradation of the oil's properties, especially the TBN. Acidic compounds to not magically appear when the oil is not in service.

That's the answer I was looking for. I applaud you.

Originally Posted by Bailes1992

I'd also look at doing a few drain & fills on the autobox and diff. Does it have a hydraulic PAS system?

You could do the coolant but I'd wait until it's 10th birthday.

What part of the UK are you from?

I'm not sure if it has a PAS system. I'm from the Midlands.

3000 miles in 3.5 years is being used. Moisture in the oil would be a reason to change once a year. If garaged makes it all better.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back