RV's . give me the good and bad of owning one

Originally Posted by 4WD
No, I have had nonstop jobs for decades … how is that welfare ?

cheers3.gif

(I think he was making a simple joke...Like that Romanian fish :p )

Originally Posted by pandus13
Originally Posted by 4WD
No, I have had nonstop jobs for decades … how is that welfare ?

cheers3.gif

(I think he was making a simple joke...Like that Romanian fish :p )

Exactly....

4wd ... You know I was just messing with you...

About staying at welfare hotels/motels...

And for a moment I thought you were so high end and fancy
lol.gif

We like ours, despite random strangers periodically 'advising' us on what a huge waste they are.

The experiences it makes possible are priceless.

Originally Posted by 02SE
We like ours, despite random strangers periodically 'advising' us on what a huge waste they are.

Agreed. There's something about just driving to a park in the middle of nowhere, hanging with friends and family, and experiencing nature.

With that said even with an RV I still never really sleep when camping, not sure why. During my summer road trip down to the Carolinas I did quite a bit of camping, but made sure to stay in a hotel the last night before my 8 hour drive home so I could actually get some decent sleep. I'm sure back issues play a big part in this.

Originally Posted by jeepman3071

Agreed. There's something about just driving to a park in the middle of nowhere, hanging with friends and family, and experiencing nature.

With that said even with an RV I still never really sleep when camping, not sure why. During my summer road trip down to the Carolinas I did quite a bit of camping, but made sure to stay in a hotel the last night before my 8 hour drive home so I could actually get some decent sleep. I'm sure back issues play a big part in this.

Have you tried any memory foam mattresses? We only have 2-3 inch for the queen's mattress in the back and she doesn't complain about back pain. Guess I'm lucky I sleep better in the RV than at home lol.

To the overall discussion.. If you look at the cost make sure you account for the $$ saved by not eating out, miles you'd put on cars otherwise and since you can free camp that also. By having the RV as traveling vehicle it saved us from having to buying another vehicle to travel in. On the road we only eat out maybe twice a week, in our Escape we'd have to eat out 2/3 of the time. Good hotel are what $100+? Campgrounds are $20-40, or free. But you have to use it to make it worth it.

My Uncle and Aunt had one and a part in the automatic transmission rusted when it was not moved for many months. That was not cheap to get fixed. A couple of years later the large Diesel engine died and that cost a fortune to replace.

My brother has a large tow-behind with one slide-out side and a tent fold out on the front and a tent fold out on the back. Roof leaks require fixing, and one winter he did not get all the water drained out properly and the pluming froze and broke. That was very hard to fix.

Q1: How many years of use?

Q2: How far do you expect to travel annually?

Q3: Do you have or can you provide covered storage at home?

Q4: How much to pour a slab, plus provide 50A electric and full plumbing at that home ?

250k Miles over 20-years? Then buy best quality and provide proper storage.

(Others can visit you. Utilities go out, your RV is shelter).

It's not cheapest way to travel (Greyhound bus with the dirtbags and the no-tell mo-tell). but that's wrong way to approach it.

Fuel burn isn't a concern. The average RV'er travels 5,000-miles/year.

Finance cost & depreciation plus maintenance/repairs are the killers.

The finance contract will last longer than the junk sold as RVs.

"Quality" disappeared more than forty yearsa ago as Americans allowed themselves to be ripped off. All have taken a 50% pay cut since then.

Airstream is the prestige brand for a major multi-line manufacturer. The only survivor. And not the best. Just the best known.

That said, find one 10-15 years old where depreciation has bottomed but owner took care of it. It will be better than the junk at the RV show.

Or buy an older one and go through it.

And, don't need a pickup (unless IRS rules apply, always the worst choice of a family vehicle). The van or suv TYPE currently used by family is enough.

ECONOMY is length of ownership. Having a plan. Providing storage. Regular schedules.

My folks had their Silver Streak 27-years. Needed next to nothing. Covered USA, Canada, and much of Mexico. Had two tow vehicles in that time (and my Dad a guy who just wrote a check for a brand new Cadillac).

Mines thirty years old (1989). Gave next to nothing for it. Nice shape. New appliances, etc, as needed. Am ten years along. No leaks, no rot. Better than any five year old TOP PREMIUM LUXURY whatever (except an AS) sold today.

Be willing to do some or most of the work. I hire expert diagnosticians with experience reading those high dollar tools they have. Do much of the rest myself.

There's no need to keep buying different ones. The point is to be outside wherever you go. Get quality. Enjoy the TLC aspect.

Last edited:

Staying at the dunes for a bit. No hotels in sight. 120 square miles of dunes to explore, no issues with social distancing. All the comforts of home including a king size bed.

Not my picture, but you get the idea.

[Linked Image]

Yeah, an RV does lend one the ability to go and stay where he otherwise couldn't.
Worth it?
Up to the user.
We had the use of one that I allowed owner to park in my spacious driveway for a couple of years.
They are nice in that you get to sleep in your own bed, you have your own bathroom and kitchen and they are pretty spacious.
More homey than a motel room and it is nice to have a family dinner in the family mini-home.

I have owned a Class A, 5th wheel and my current trailer. Never really had much problem with them. Fixed few leaks here and there, one circuit board on the fridge, one slide out on the current trailer and one failed wheel bearing on the current trailer. We camp about 10 to 15 times in the summer and sporadically through the winter months here.
It is up to you, but I couldn't imagine not having one. We unplug and do things together as a family. That is priceless.
Lots of people who don't own them like to chime in and that is fine everyone is entitled to there opinion. Like anything they have to be maintained.

Old Harvey the RV Modified 454 air ride, super blue suspension.(1988 24 foot Fleetwood Southwind Chevy P30 chassis) It was a hotrod for an RV. I owned him 5 years.
[Linked Image]

The old 5th wheel (1995 25 foot Fleetwood Prowler )with Big poo(89 GMC 1 ton). Was a great little bunkhouse. I bought it for 3500 bucks. No issues. Had it for 5 years. Yellowstone, Yosemite, and all over Wa and California. This was in St. Regis Montana in 2010.
[Linked Image]

And my current 2012 Keystone Passport 32 foot 7800lbs loaded Bunkhouse. With the old truck. Lots of good memories with this one.
I have towed this trailer close to 28,000 miles.
[Linked Image]

My kids absolutely love it, to be honest so do the wife and I. Being on the road for 6 months out of the year is how we see our retirement.

Last edited:
The good

Home wherever you park
Great getaway or mobile business center
Makes memorable family vacations
Extra bedroom when parked at home
Potential home backup generator
makes even short trips a vacation
familiar bedding, environment vs roach motel
much more affordable to cook your own meals when traveling vs eating out
vast network of affordable lodges across US, and the ability to dry camp for potentially extended times.
Boondocking

The bad

Hard to store
possible tow vehicle dependance
Tow vehicle wear
expensive
Tires are always a concern
complex subsystems that all require maintenance/ water pump/heat/ propane/ genset/ engine/ trans/
Takes a day to fully pack and unpack making a weekend trip a waste of time
consumes lots of fuel to get anywhere fueling can be a pain when connected
Sun damage
battery banks to manage

Ive had travel trailers, toy haulers, 5th wheels(family did) ,truck bed campers, class A, and C, and now Im back to a class A.

UD

Last edited:
Aside from things already mentioned, anyone I know that had one around here had a tough time selling them, and took a beating when they did. Having said that, they should have never bought one in the first place. If you have the place to store it, can afford it, and will use it enough, go for it.

Correct demar

I always bought used, and to be honest in every case except my current class A lowered the seller down pretty hard even then.

Buying new rarely to never makes sense, though there are a few instances where resale is very strong say in the case of airstream trailers.

UD

Originally Posted by demarpaint
Aside from things already mentioned, anyone I know that had one around here had a tough time selling them, and took a beating when they did. Having said that, they should have never bought one in the first place. If you have the place to store it, can afford it, and will use it enough, go for it.

I agree. I have bought new and used. I would always advise the those new to this, to buy used. IF you don't like it , you have not eaten as much depreciation. I have bought new twice. My first new purchase was a 2005 unit. i kept it until it was damaged in a snowstorm a year or 2 ago. I bought new again, as i could not find anything used i wanted.

I would only advise buying new, if you know you will not be selling trading it. A new unit taken care of will last a while. I keep mine out of the sun, and clean.

Unless you are considering an Airstream trailer or a converted bus, they are ALL garbage. They are all thrown together with quality that would have the builders of Ladas, Trabants, and Yugos hanging their heads in shame.

The first few trips will consist of fixing what the factory screwed up. (It's frequently a long list.) Once you have that fixed, the rest of your ownership will consist of chasing the things that leak and break.

Originally Posted by Jarlaxle
Unless you are considering an Airstream trailer or a converted bus, they are ALL garbage. They are all thrown together with quality that would have the builders of Ladas, Trabants, and Yugos hanging their heads in shame.

The first few trips will consist of fixing what the factory screwed up. (It's frequently a long list.) Once you have that fixed, the rest of your ownership will consist of chasing the things that leak and break.

"Trabant" - amusing and mostly true although with time and experience one finds notable exceptions to this.
Although we live in an 80/20 world in terms of RV's in general its 95/5 junk vs quality.

Some exceptions would be-

Beaver, and early Monaco's which were Beavers
Country Coach
Holiday Rambler
Prevost(bus)
Bluebird (bus)

Newmars are hit and miss as is Tiffen

In terms of trailers - Spacecraft makes a superb unit.

Originally Posted by jeepman3071
My grandfather always says the most expensive part of owning an RV is storing it, because that is when things break down, seize up, mice find their way into things, etc. Like any other vehicle the worst thing for it is to sit around.

Grandad is pretty right on (aren't they usually?) -RV lifespan is a balancing act

If it just sits everything dries out seals gaskets and stops working then leaks when you do use it.

Used too much like full time living - the lighter duty pieces wear out and need repair or replacement.

UD

Just rent one when you get the urge. They are like getting a dilapidated vacation house, sounds like a great idea, but you pay and pay and pay and only use it 1-2 weeks a year.

Last edited:
Back