Factory Ford filter cut open

Status
Not open for further replies.
Champion Labs made the Ford first-fit oil filters for a very long time until recently. Now it appears Mann/Puro/Wix is making them in the traditional Wix design.

Motorcraft service filters have always been Purolator.

I was told that Ford uses factory installed Wix built filters, so that if the engine has an oil related failure they can see if the engine has ever been serviced.

The factory filter on my 2010 F-150 with 5.4L was the same as the one on my 2014 Explorer with the 3.5L (it was Champion based--or certainly seemed like it). Ford tends to use the "one size fits many" factory filter which I assume is a cost saving measure. They should just switch to those filters for the FL-820s and be done with it.

They don't order retail parts to manufacture with. Probably several sets of people made their career and retired ordering filters and parts for the production lines over the past 80 years. Completely separate from the parts ordered to supply the dealer parts counters and aftermarket division. That;s all I think it is, on paper all the filters meet engineering specs.

was told that Ford uses factory installed Wix built filters, so that if the engine has an oil related failure they can see if the engine has ever been serviced.
It's possible I suppose, but I'd think it's more about who gets the Factory Filter contract. No matter who it is, FoMoCo label on the can and that would distinguish it from the MC off the shelf filter. Prior to Wix it was Champ Labs, same white color can with FoMoCo one it.

And topic filter is a Wix made filter, not Puro US and not Mann made filter. If the latter logic followed then current Fram would/could be a Trico filter. If one wanted to say M&H got the contract for Wix production, that could make sense. Puro US currently makes MC oil filters, not Wix and not Mann.

Originally Posted by 2015_PSD
The factory filter on my 2010 F-150 with 5.4L was the same as the one on my 2014 Explorer with the 3.5L (it was Champion based--or certainly seemed like it). Ford tends to use the "one size fits many" factory filter which I assume is a cost saving measure. They should just switch to those filters for the FL-820s and be done with it.

The 5.4 should use FL-820-S, but the Explorer 3.5 use FL-500-S.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back