New VW BRANDED OIL (have a look)

Originally Posted by Jimmy_Russells
Originally Posted by wemay
Keeping this in context, I was refering to the quart bottles sold in the US. I'm sure bottles vary overseas. The Pep Boys near me sells M1 ESP quarts. The bottle is exactly the same shape as Mobil Super.

It's old stock. 'ESP Formula' was changed to 'ESP' a few years ago. They were both made in France and had the Super bottles. Shortly after changing to just 'ESP' production moved to USA, which also moved to GTL based, and they also changed to the other style bottles at some point.

In any event the OP oil is not is X2 because that is 0w20.

I see, thanks for the background. I've yet to see a different bottle than this, even in X2 guise but will keep an eye out...

Capture.PNG

Keeping this in context, I was refering to the quart bottles sold in the US. I'm sure bottles vary overseas. The Pep Boys near me sells M1 ESP quarts. The bottle is exactly the same shape as Mobil Super.

It's old stock. 'ESP Formula' was changed to 'ESP' a few years ago. They were both made in France and had the Super bottles. Shortly after changing to just 'ESP' production moved to USA, which also moved to GTL based, and they also changed to the other style bottles at some point.

I see, thanks for the background. I've yet to see a different bottle than this, even in X2 guise but will keep an eye out...

You posted one earlier on this page in 5W30. That's why I am confused because what you are saying doesn't match the pictures you posted.

Think we'd all agree MSS and TGMO were not the same product but had the same Mobil "other" bottle for a long time.

Yep, Mobil has the newer bottle on their website picture now: https://mobiloil.com/en/motor-oils/mobil-1/mobil-1-esp

You posted one earlier on this page in 5W30. That's why I am confused because what you are saying doesn't match the pictures you posted.

You know what? I didn't even notice that was ESP to the right when i posted it. I thought it was AFE. Sorry for the confusion Jimmy_Russells.

That's interesting. Did you plan to do a VOA for the 5w40? I'm curious if it's any different than the Castrol 5w40 they've been using forever it seems.

Saw that and the OW-30 that's designated for the Atlas while picking up my change kit as well. They've really switched over pretty quickly. I didn't see Castrol bottles anywhere in sight.

currently VW is using the 0W30 In the atlas and 2019+ Golf R

the 3.6 VR6 atlas is unchanged from when they specd 5W40 and now using 0w30

Last edited:
99% of VW/Audi/Skoda/Seat in EU use VW Quantum Synta Oil - its the official branded stuff available from all VW parts depts. Im believe (but do not know 100%) that it is also used by Bentley and Lamborghini.

https://www.google.com/search?safe=off&rlz=1C1PRFI_enGB817GB817&sxsrf=ACYBGNROmpyHj4xr7JsH1LCe_tSVRnoNJw%3A1582037380773&ei=hPlLXqTiLu-I1fAPgLSkwAQ&q=quantum+oil+vw&oq=quantum+oil+&gs_l=psy-ab.1.1.0j0i20i263j0l8.9459.11524..14113...0.0..0.89.595.8......0....1..gws-wiz.......35i39j0i30j0i22i30j0i273j0i131i273j0i67j0i131j0i3.WEJbCxrggm4

Is there an official site for this new oil? My dealer says there are 3 versions/weights, if the 0-30 & the 5-40 are 505 compatible, which would be the better choice? Most here didn't like the Castrol 5-40...also, what is the other weight that this VW oil comes in?

From the Audi site: "For gasoline
engines, you can use oil with a viscosity of SAE 5W-40 across all
temperature ranges for normal driving conditions. However, if that
grade is not available, you can use 5W-30 or an alternate viscosity
grade as long as it meets the proper Audi oil-quality standard. For
Diesel engines use SAE 5W-30."

Quantum is VAG UK oil brand bud. In VAG workshops they tend to use Castrol and then over the counter sales or at TPS cenres they sell Quantum which is made by Fuchs in the UK.

I don't think the Quantum oils count towards dealer targets.

Back