S&W 38 Special

Status
Not open for further replies.
I no longer conceal carry .

To me , a .38 Special is a little endemic . That is why law enforcement went to .357 Mag , before so many transitioned to semi automatics .

YEARS / ages ago , I carried a Ruger Security Six as a rent-a-cop .

The .357 gives you the option to also shoot .38 Special . Best of both worlds , especially if you reload .

OK, so what are the pros and cons of the rubber vs wood grips on the guns in the OP message? The rubber looks more comfortable or easier to grip but the wood looks "cooler" in my opinion. Sincere question.

Originally Posted by Rick505
OK, so what are the pros and cons of the rubber vs wood grips on the guns in the OP message? The rubber looks more comfortable or easier to grip but the wood looks "cooler" in my opinion. Sincere question.

User preference. YMMV.

One time at the range I got the chance to run an SP101 in 327 Mag, with the Hogue grips. I really liked it. Bought the same grips for my SP101 in 357 Mag and... didn't like it. ??? I can't explain why but while I like my LCR with its Hogue grip, with its finger grooves, I prefer my SP101 without finger groves. Not sure if I have ever fired with wood grips so I'm not sure if I would care for them or not.

I'm guessing that wood can swell/contract. More importantly, rubber could be more grippy while wood more slippery (but wood can be checkered so there's that). Wood probably looks better on a classic gun, although I think SP101's work well with a rubber grip (might be a blued steel vs stainless thing).

Speaking of finger grooves, I think I saw a video of Jerry Miculek where he said he didn't like 'em. He wanted to shoot from however he grabbed his gun, and not have to move his hand around on the grip. Then again, if there was ever a high speed / low drag operator with special equipment needs, it'd be him. Might not apply to anyone else!

Originally Posted by ZeeOSix
I'd look for a 357 Mag, then you can shoot any 38 Spl or 357 Mag ammo.

The only .357 he can find in this $$$ range is a Taurus. Nothing against Taurus, he just wants a S&W. I too suggested this S&W to him.

I also have a 6" blue steel S&W .357 Mag . . Although I have nothing against Taurus I would prefer S&W , also . I also have a 6" Ruger . Think it is a GP 100 ? No problems with it . Although it is heavier than the S&W , or seems to be .

Funny. I started my LEO career with a model 64 and ONE speed loader. My times have changed. They are good guns by the way.

Originally Posted by KCJeep
Funny. I started my LEO career with a model 64 and ONE speed loader. My times have changed. They are good guns by the way.

Most gunfights are still ended with just a few rounds. The modern pull trigger to slide lock tactics just sends more lead downrange to bystanders.

I'm not a big fan of Hogues/Pachs in general, and usually only do them on harder recoiling guns.

My 629 "Mountain Gun" came with Hogues from the factory, and I actually swapped them out for Pachmyer "Combats" to get the backstrap fully covered(I would have preferred Presentations, but couldn't find a set in round but N frame).

S&W wood grips over the years have come in 3 main patterns(there were sub-types and some variants and special ones)-the "service grip", "Magna grip" and "target grip." Service grips are the oldest design(you'll actually see them in hard rubber also) and basically just cover the grip frame of the gun with very little "swell" in your palm. They are fine on the guns/calibers where they were usually fitted(M&P 38 Specials and 32-20s, I-frame 32s and 38s, N frame 44 Specials) but can leave you lacking with hard-hitting calibers. The more familiar pattern is the "Magna" whose bottom bit basically follows the contour of the grip frame, but at the top goes a bit above it and also is wider. These are what I kept on my Model 64 when I shot it, plus have had them on several other K frames including a model 13, several J frames, and even have a set on my N frame 28-2. The Target grip covers the bottom and front strap of the grip frame, and fills the gap between the trigger guard. These were popular on K frame Magnums, and in fact it's almost all you'll see on guns like the model 19(it's what I have on mine).

I like wood grips in general, and a properly designed wood grip can generally shoot comfortably even with a fairly stout recoiling gun. Where rubber, in my experience, comes into its own is if you want to cover the backstrap, something that's beneficial on lightweight magnums. There are a lot of wood grip profiles out there to suit a variety of tastes, but you also can't go wrong with the factory designs.

Anemic eh? They say the same about the 9mm. And the .32 semi-auto not to mention my fav the .32 Long.

Anemic is a S&W .38, but unlike that fat man taking a cannonball in the belly I've no interest in finding out..

A 4" K frame is very concealable unless you're walking on the beach in spandex or speedos. The main reason the .38spl cartridge is trashed is due to the 1 7\8" snubnose barrel. The best overall revolver barrel for a slow cartridge of size is 5.5".

Go here and see how the velocity is affected by barrel length. This site has been around for a while and though it doesn't show newer ammunition it does offer various weights.

http://www.ballisticsbytheinch.com/38special.html

Then you can take the grains of boolit along w\velocity in feet per second and go here:

http://www.shooterscalculator.com/bullet-kinetic-energy.php

Punch in figures to obtain foot-lbs o' energy.

Nothing wrong w\snubbie though in that configuration I prefer an old slow 44 spl.

Enjoy the trade-in!

I sometimes carry my S&W Mod. 442 hammerless snubbie . Loaded with hollow points I definitely don't feel outgunned .

Usually I carry my Walther PPS M2. But on occasion, I will grab my old Taurus 85 .38 Spl. Still looks and shoots great.

[Linked Image]

L8R,
Matt

Interesting question about the wood vs rubber grips .
In my department, we were issued a brand new, in the box Model 66 4" with Pachmyr Presentation grips already installed, just before going to the Academy....along with twin speed loaders and holders, belt, holster, etc.. There was no option to keep or even request the original wood grips.
We trained with. 38 but issued duty ammunition was. 357 Silvertip HPs. We had to qualify annually with the. 357, which was fine but it seemed to me we should have trained with it as well.
I can only think that the brass believed the rubber Pachmyr grips absorbed recoil and provided better grip in lousy conditions.

Last edited:
The rubber stock was designed to fill more of the hand somewhat as target stocks whilst better absorbing\redistributing recoil all the while fitting a wider variety of hands . The diamond checked wood stocks on a light short barrel magnum tended to be rough on non-calloused mitts.

The bite was as bad as the bark.

My fav round that never made it in the West is the 7.62x25mm Tokarev that was tailor made for the twin roller 8 rnd single stack 4 3\4" brl VZ-52 SA flamethrower.
Thin. easily concealed w\no shortage of penetration the modest 7.62mm 85\86\88gn bottleneck projectile rocket sitting on the 9mm cartridge is a flat shooting screamer.

It's a crying shame no one modernized the design w\DA first SA thereafter trigger and added another 3\4-1" to the barrel. The rudimentary sights leave a lot to be desired, but for an Eastern bloc, Czechoslovakia, field sidearm from almost 70 yrs ago whaddya expect?

Still mechanically, aesthetically a work of art. By the powers un-vested in moi I dub thee:

Le pistolet magnifique tres tres chic

Last edited:

Spend more time getting the bullet on target ( usually involves more practice ) . Less time worrying about how many angles can dance on the head of a pin ( or wood vs. rubber grips ) .

I have both . Depends more on shape than composition . Especially on a mild / medium recoiling hand gun . Not interested in cool .

Originally Posted by BlueOvalFitter

The only .357 he can find in this $$$ range is a Taurus. Nothing against Taurus, he just wants a S&W. I too suggested this S&W to him.

Ruger makes a 5 shot wheel gun in .38/.357 , although the new price may be a little steep . Do not know about used ?

I have no personal experience with Taurus . I own more than one S&W . Only Colt I own is a 1911 , made in 1928 ( I think ) and sold to Argentina .

As I said , I own / have owned Ruger wheel guns .

Originally Posted by WyrTwister
Originally Posted by BlueOvalFitter

Ruger makes a 5 shot wheel gun in .38/.357 , although the new price may be a little steep . Do not know about used ?

I have no personal experience with Taurus . I own more than one S&W . Only Colt I own is a 1911 , made in 1928 ( I think ) and sold to Argentina .

As I said , I own / have owned Ruger wheel guns .

I own an SP-101 in .357 caliber, with the 2.25" barrel. That thing is a real tack driver. I also own a Speed Six 9mm with the 2.75" barrel.I have been offered $600 for it. My son likes it more than me because he has it right now.

I picked up a brand new "blem" Taurus 65 4" for $320 from Kentucky Gun Co. Blue finish. Great gun. It took me months to figure out the blemish... The Taurus logo was "blurred". I would never get the new Taurus spray paint finish but their current stainless model revolvers are great.

Honestly, BOF - I would get the used S&W. You're buying a classic, well-crafted firearm that has sufficient power to be used for self defense.

Sure, different opinions exist for "best" carry gun. In a perfect, no budget, world, I might choose something different to carry.

So what?

In a perfect, no budget world, I would buy this gun anyway because it's a well built classic. It's like buying a Stanley Bedrock Plane, or a good used set of Snap On wrenches, or a W124 Mercedes.

You simply can't go wrong with a nice classic.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back