2019 VW Passat Trip Mileage

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am a happy guy. My wife and I just did a trip from central PA to St. Augustine FL and returned today. At our age, we broke the trip down and back into three legs of about 370, 370 and 235 miles. On each leg going down, we averaged 43 + mpg on mid-grade gas. This is actual fill-up mileage, dividing the gallons required to fill the tank into miles traveled. Interestingly, in each case it came within a few tenths of a mpg of the on-board readout! On the way home, we averaged about 42.5 mpg. But coming home we climbed from about 250 feet above sea level to about 2500 feet above sea level during the second day. Our speeds were generally 69-70 mph unless we got into a construction zone. The whole trip amounted to about 1950 miles.

This car has the Budack cycle four cylinder engine and runs the VW 508 spec 0W-20 oil. The car now has about 7800 miles on it. This car is a very comfortable and frugal hiway cruiser! I could not ask for more from a full size sedan running at hiway speeds.

Originally Posted by Boomer
I am a happy guy. My wife and I just did a trip from central PA to St. Augustine FL and returned today. At our age, we broke the trip down and back into three legs of about 370, 370 and 235 miles. On each leg going down, we averaged 43 + mpg on mid-grade gas. This is actual fill-up mileage, dividing the gallons required to fill the tank into miles traveled. Interestingly, in each case it came within a few tenths of a mpg of the on-board readout! On the way home, we averaged about 42.5 mpg. But coming home we climbed from about 250 feet above sea level to about 2500 feet above sea level during the second day. Our speeds were generally 69-70 mph unless we got into a construction zone. The whole trip amounted to about 1950 miles.

This car has the Budack cycle four cylinder engine and runs the VW 508 spec 0W-20 oil. The car now has about 7800 miles on it. This car is a very comfortable and frugal hiway cruiser! I could not ask for more from a full size sedan running at hiway speeds.

That is fantastic! Good to hear since i have the same vehicle.
cheers3.gif

Way to go. That's really good MPG, well done!
I've hit 40 mpg & 44 mpg in my Altima a few times which is the actual mpg at the pump, not the in car computer(which always reads higher).

wow, that's crazy. Just finished a long road trip in my '19 R, and my best tank was 34mpg. No one is buying an R for fuel economy, but considering they're both 2.0 turbos, that's a pretty huge difference.

Originally Posted by JOD
wow, that's crazy. Just finished a long road trip in my '19 R, and my best tank was 34mpg. No one is buying an R for fuel economy, but considering they're both 2.0 turbos, that's a pretty huge difference.

These new B48 engines in BMW return 40mpg+ regularly with 255hp and 295lb-ft in pretty hefty sedan.
I manage to do in my 2010 VW CC with DSG some 33-35mpg doing 75-80mph. EA888 with right transmission is really good on mpg. On other hand in Tiguan paird with 6 speed Aisin it goes through gas like VR6.

Next time try to keep speeds at 80mph and see what is difference. That is good mpg, but I am wondering what would be penalty for 10+mph.

Originally Posted by edyvw

Next time try to keep speeds at 80mph and see what is difference. That is good mpg, but I am wondering what would be penalty for 10+mph.

Our 2018 Tiguan with same engine different transmission the penalty is about 2 MPG over a 50 mile drive each way I do taking daughter to a sports training center (tennis).

It has an 8 speed instead of 6 speed.

great report on the new passat's mpg. going up and down the east coast at speed limit +5mph my 2013 passat s gets 36mpg highway. 2.5 liter, five cylinder, naturally aspirated engine. usually shell regular gasoline. dealer maintained at 10k mile intervals by the book. replacement kelly edge tire pressure 34psi, oem conti gave me closer to 38mpg.

Originally Posted by madRiver
Originally Posted by edyvw

Our 2018 Tiguan with same engine different transmission the penalty is about 2 MPG over a 50 mile drive each way I do taking daughter to a sports training center (tennis).

It has an 8 speed instead of 6 speed.

New Tiguan ahs different transmission and EA888 is Budack cycle. 1st generation Tiguan is 6 speed Aisin and same engine as in CC, GTI etc. I personally like 1st generation much better than new one, but mpg on hwy at 80mph can drop as low as 22mpg.

Boomer/OP,

Thank you for the report.

Is the Passat more comfortable than the Alltrack?

Also, did ou happen to have the grankids in the backseats? How was trheir experience?

Thank you

Wow thats impressive! I just bought a Buyback 2013 Passat TDi with barely 40k miles on it. The car is absolutely mint. Still waiting to get through my first tank of fuel to fill up and hand calculate mileage. Although I don't expect it to be too good this go round since its a new-to-us car so its getting short tripped to the store all the time and the wife and I argue whos taking it...

You're getting diesel MPG with those numbers!

The best my Alltrack will do is about 36-37 mpg on trips. But it does not have the Budack cycle engine. The Passat is our favorite car for the grandkids as the back seat is really huge with lots of room. Makes it easy for them to get in and out of their car seats and for us to help them buckle up if need be. I do think the Passat is a really comfortable car and a pleasure to drive.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back