I thought Windows 7 would be insecure now?

Status
Not open for further replies.
But I have Microsoft Security Essentials and it's still showing as system being protected. Everybody said once support ended a few weeks ago, W7 would be unsafe to use.

Originally Posted by atikovi
But I have Microsoft Security Essentials and it's still showing as system being protected. Everybody said once support ended a few weeks ago, W7 would be unsafe to use.

Just because MSE says its protected means nothing.

Basically exploits/bad coding will no longer be patched so the computer will become more vulnerable to being taken over etc as time goes on.

are you trolling or a total lack of computer related knowledge? .. dont want to waste too much time replying if its just trolling (lol)

Originally Posted by Rand
are you trolling or a total lack of computer related knowledge? ..
I think it's both.
smile.gif

Microsoft said W7 supported ended, yet Microsoft Security Essentials is still protecting my W7 computer. Sorry if the extent of my computer knowledge is below your standards of posting.

Originally Posted by Quattro Pete
I think it's both.
smile.gif

My fault for asking a computer question in a lube forum, never mind then.

Microsoft said W7 supported ended, yet Microsoft Security Essentials is still protecting my W7 computer.

Windows 7 and Microsoft Security Essentials are two different things.

You could install any anti-virus on your Windows 7 machine, and it will still be protecting you in some ways, but it won't protect you from newly identified security flaws resulting from poorly written W7 code that will now be left unpatched.

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/10736/windows-what-does-it-mean-if-not-supported

Microsoft said W7 supported ended, yet Microsoft Security Essentials is still protecting my W7 computer.

Windows 7 and Microsoft Security Essentials are two different things.

You could install any anti-virus on your Windows 7 machine, and it will still be protecting you in some ways, but it won't protect you from newly identified security flaws resulting from poorly written W7 code that will now be left unpatched.

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/10736/windows-what-does-it-mean-if-not-supported

This. Your Win 7 computer will run numerous safe Linux distros safely and securely.

2 separate things.

It would be like standing in a crumbling building, there the foundation will fail and the building will collapse, and standing on the 34th floor saying "well I still have health insurance"...

If there are any security vunribilities left in Win 7 with all the security patches it's already had, I'd think they would have to be some pretty high hanging fruit to exploit.

I think it's both.
smile.gif

My fault for asking a computer question in a lube forum, never mind then.

Sorry due to your massive snark in other posts I misunderstood you.

But basically windows support ending is updates.. MSE is antivirus.

What you were saying is similar to "I have no check engine light can I drive on 4 flat tires"

in a nutshell easily google able is your answer
"January 14, 2020
Windows 7 Support Ends January 14, 2020
This End of Life means no more bug-fixes, security patches or new functionality, making any user - personal or enterprise - significantly more susceptible to malware attacks."

has nothing to do with your antivirus and the issue will get worse.. its not bad now.. its more of a gets worse as more issues are discovered.

More exploits will be found.. and not patched.
Eternal Blue anyone?
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/EternalBlue

I have a Windows 7 machine used for coding my car. Since support for Win7 ended, It will never be connected to the internet again.

^ Pretty premature sentiment, considering it was secure enough all this time, millions of people are still using it, and no rash of infections has been reported.

Then again if you really meant "connected to the internet" (directly), no windows box should ever be directly connected to the internet.

Through a router on the other hand, there's nothing insecure about Win7 itself. It'd take doing something foolish like opening an unknown email attachment, installing warez, or running an insecure browser, or a public kiosk with functional USB ports where you dared strangers to try to exploit it. These things make newer versions of windows vulnerable too.

The bottom line is that only ignorant people think you need the newest version of windows to be secure, except in certain particularly vulnerable situations. Normal home users, will be less secure if anything because with the newer OS comes newer security holes yet to be found and patched.

On the other hand if you "need" the latest windows version for driver support, DirectX/gaming, or just to give grandma the same interface so you can help her use her computer over the phone, these are all better reasons to upgrade the OS.

HOWEVER this topic was about MS Security Essentials. The word from MS regarding Win7 support is, quote "Microsoft will continue to release signature updates (including engine) to service systems currently running Microsoft Security Essentials until 2023." They just won't let you newly install it on Win7 now that the end of support date has passed, but it will be kept just as up to date as Win10 until 2023.

Whether you NEED MS Security Essentials or not is a similar can of worms. If you engage in none of the risky activities mentioned above, you should have never had it flag anything and didn't need it, but of course some people do run fairly insecure browsers.

Last edited:
I should add that in my prior post, I stated MS' position that they won't let you newly install it, but that is only what someone at MS stated, not really true. You can still, simply install it fresh now and tell it to update itself for Vista or Win7, for example this is for x64:

https://download.microsoft.com/down...0-E44F6DC28BD8/ENUS/amd64/MSEInstall.exe

Then the full x64 update from yesterday, Feb 24th is this:
(Yes it's not a MS server, this is a TechSpot server, known good source).

https://files03.tchspt.com/temp/mpam-feX64.exe

These will make you as up to date as anyone.

Last edited:

Depends what you plan on doing. I wouldn't use win 7 for any personal or financial business anymore. If you just web surf , I wouldn't worry. I still use XP just for general web browsing use with some legacy hardware but use win10 for personal business on a pc dedicated only for that purpose. I never got hacked on XP and if I do, I will just wipe it and reload.

Last edited:

Old, prior protection that's no longer updated remains.

It's time to upgrade or beware of the risks.

Atikovi, the upgrade to 10 is not painful at all. I loved Windows 7 and waited until the end to update to WIN10. I remember the early adopters hating it and even installing apps. to make 10 look and act like 7.

At least on my computer, 10 does seem to be a tiny bit more fickle and seems to take a few more seconds to "think" when navigating. I.E., something simple like opening Outlook seems to take a few more seconds to get started. It sometimes takes a few more clicks to get somewhere and/or you wonder what they were thinking with some features. Just a mild annoyance. I'm no computer genius and 10 was not difficult to adapt to.

Ha! What makes you think it was EVER secure? On a more serious note, as others have already said, W7 can be exploited because (unless you are paying for extended support) there will be no new patches deployed and this is independent of whatever anti-malware system you have deployed.

Upgrade to W10 and rest easy.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back