Ford Focus RS Oil Advice!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey guys,

I just got turned onto the whole LSPI thing with GDI engines and it now has me paying close(r) attention to the oil requirements set by Ford.

I am currently running Castrol Edge 5W-50 (non-supercar version) and while I see it's an SN rated oil, I am not confident that I made the right decision here. According to Castrol this oil does not meet Ford's WSS-M2C931-C standard.

Am I in danger of increasing my chances of LSPI? Should I immediately drain the oil and move on or wait until it's next OCI?

Thanks in advance!

Ford 5W-50 is all you need. Enjoy your RS while you can and rest easy. Ford 5W-50 is great oil. I would drain the Edge when your due and rest easy.

My 17 RS was great until the HG recall nightmare.

Originally Posted by JohnnyJohnson
Any oil on sale at WM will work trust me!

We don't trust you, because that's bad advice in this case! Do you even know what a Focus RS is, or the oil requirements? It's a turbocharged 350hp car that requires a 5w50 oil meeting the correct Ford specification for that engine. So to tell someone to just buy any oil that's on sale at Walmart is foolish advice here, very foolish.
spankme2.gif

You already answered your own question:

Ford's WSS-M2C931-C standard

Anything that meets that.

Since the Shelby GT500 guys were so big on the Castrol, I figured it was a good choice for the RS, but those V8's are not turbocharges DGI engines either. I have about 2k miles on the existing oil and would like to drive it another 2-3k before draining it. Do I have to be worried if I want to attend a track day soon?

Originally Posted by Patman
Originally Posted by JohnnyJohnson
Any oil on sale at WM will work trust me!

We don't trust you, because that's bad advice in this case! Do you even know what a Focus RS is, or the oil requirements? It's a turbocharged 350hp car that requires a 5w50 oil meeting the correct Ford specification for that engine. So to tell someone to just buy any oil that's on sale at Walmart is foolish advice here, very foolish.
spankme2.gif

The Focus RS is just another 2.3L EcoBoost powered Ford. Yes it makes 350 hp. My Fusion's 2.7L EcoBoost V6 is making 450 hp with a tune, and my SHO made over 460 hp with a tune. The Raptor and F-150 Limited with the HO 3.5 EcoBoost are making 450 hp. Those engines were all specified to use 5W-30 dino at the time (the new -B1 is basically a synth blend 5W-30 at the lowest).

From what I have been reading, the "track-ready" Ford "Performance" cars like the Shelby GT350/500, are specified to use 5W-50 synthetic to handle the heat at the track. The Ford GT supercar specifies Castrol Edge Supercar 5W-50. I did a cross-reference on the VCT solenoids and other stuff that would be sensitive to viscosity, and they were pretty much the same.

Some are running a synthetic xW-40 or xW-30 because the engines themselves aren't inherently different from the engines that Ford is telling you to run 5W-20 (e.g. Mustang GT / F-150 5.0 Coyote V8). The heat from track conditions is what pushes the 5W-50 synthetic requirement.

The 2.0L GTDI in my Cobalt SS is tuned for over 320 hp, and GM specified GM4718M before Dexos 1 came around.

Based on my own experience with stock and tuned EcoBoost engines, I'm inclined to go with a thicker synthetic than the 5W-30 called out by Ford, or basically change the oil religiously at 5000 miles. GTDI engines, at least with Ford and GM, are hard on the oils.

Originally Posted by fastsvo
Turns out there are two versions of Castrol Edge 5w-50 synthetic oil. The one I have is the SN rated version with increased zinc for flat tappet cams, but there is also an SN-Plus version (still high in zinc) that is "GDI Turbo Approved", but unclear if it meets Fords standard.

https://www.napaonline.com/en/p/CCA250?keywordInput=5w+50&vehicleAddPDP=true

https://www.castrol.com/en_us/unite...uids/new-api-sn-plus-specifications.html

The SN+ version is going to have lower levels of calcium, lower NOACK% and lower HTHS. Switch to that and call it a day. If you're unsure about Ford specs, I would enquire with either/both Castrol and Ford.

Would I change it out immediately? No. Just be careful of the lugging, keep it out of areas where LSPI happens which will definitely not be on the track. Change at next interval and boost on!

Last edited:
Originally Posted by Bjornviken
Castrol edge 0w-40 meets the spec

For the rest of the world, Ford recommends using 0W-40 for the RS, so its not out of line to really do this. In fact, it's difficult to find 5W-50 on the store shelfs, but thanks to the European cars, 0W-40 is readily available.

the viscosity spec @ 100C aka 212 F is just that how many centistokes a more precise viscosity it is at that temp, BUT oils get hotter + thinner with more heat aka track day enter the 50W @ 212C it has more room to thin with higher temps compared to a 30W that may see 20W or even less!! real synthetic PAO + Ester oils thin LESS in extreme heat while protecting better!! everything today is costly + modern engines exceed 10G why take a chance on lesser thinned oils!!

Originally Posted by fastsvo
Originally Posted by Bjornviken
Castrol edge 0w-40 meets the spec

For the rest of the world, Ford recommends using 0W-40 for the RS, so its not out of line to really do this. In fact, it's difficult to find 5W-50 on the store shelfs, but thanks to the European cars, 0W-40 is readily available.

And when you do find 5W50 otc,it's always $10+ a quart. The only cheap synth W50 option is M1 15W50 in the 5 quart WM jugs.

Sure enough I looked at my bottle of Castrol Edge 0W-40, and it meets the Ford specification for the European Focus RS (0W-40). I have heard the Motorcraft 5W-50 shears away fairly quickly anyhow and it is expensive for what it is.

i would personally use m1 5w-50 in that engine if i had to use that viscosity. M1 5w-50 one of the finest 5w-50 you can get

I don't understand why so thick? I have a subaru STI that calls for 5w-30. I (and most) of us run 5w-40 and with a proper AOS have no burn off and plenty of protection at the track. I have a hard time believing a 50wt is necessary.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back