Fluid Film + Cayenne Pepper

Status
Not open for further replies.
Recently I've read a lot of stories of rats and other wildlife attacking fairly recent-model vehicles, particularly their electrical wiring. The 'solution' offered by the OEM's on existing cars is to wrap electrical wiring in cayenne-pepper containing electrical tape, that the critters don't like.

Has anyone considered using a product like Fluid Film, mixed with cayenne pepper, the sort that you buy in bulk at the bulk foods store? To achieve protection against wildlife?

Just wondering...the idea came to my head last night, but I'm not aware of anyone actually having implemented it.

Originally Posted by eljefino
Why not just use pepper spray mace?

Wouldn't that wash off relatively easily? While a cayenne-pepper fortified Fluid Film (or similar undercoating product) has the benefit of persistence.

Practically speaking I can go buy a pound of cayenne pepper for a few bucks practically anywhere that bulk spices are sold.... Not sure what high-concentration capsaicin oil costs or if its that even readily available... Nevermind its compatibility with undercoating products.

Peppermint oil is used in commercial rustproofing treatment for its ability to repel mice.

I surprised that they don't already made wiring in cars rodent proof, I know they made CATV cabling that has a bitterant in the jacket to keep squirrels from chewing it.

Originally Posted by blufeb95
I surprised that they don't already made wiring in cars rodent proof, I know they made CATV cabling that has a bitterant in the jacket to keep squirrels from chewing it.

The problem is the vehicle makers bean counters. Example: The bean counter says it'll cost $9.00 to put rodent resistant wiring in each F150, the higher up's at Ford say at a million F150's made a year, it's not worth the 9 million dollars in loss profits.

Originally Posted by PowerSurge
Rodents also don't like peppermint oil.
They don't like used (including leaking) engine oil either, do they?

Originally Posted by skyactiv
The problem is the vehicle makers bean counters. Example: The bean counter says it'll cost $9.00 to put rodent resistant wiring in each F150, the higher up's at Ford say at a million F150's made a year, it's not worth the 9 million dollars in loss profits.

Maybe, or it could be that mixing pepper oil into a wire insulation formula decreases heat resistance, oxidation resistance and ultimately lifespan of the insulation. I'd rather they used a solid like rat poison in it instead, but then there might be greater issues handling it.

If they're going to make wiring more expensive, I'd rather they went with silicone or teflon insulation but part of the switch to soy based insulation was the idea that it's more environmentally friendly, so thank the greenies who pretend they're saving the planet while ultimately contributing to landfills by making products more expensive to repair and more problem prone, so they end up replaced that much sooner.

Last edited:
There is a product called Squirrel Sauce- its a cayenne pepper liquid that is mixed into bird seed. If prevents mammals like squirrels from eating the seed, but birds themselves eat it just fine. I have no idea if it will mix with Fluid Film. If somebody can send me a small sample of Fluid Film I can give it a try to see if it will mix.

Semi-related- I left a bad car battery on the driveway, and some rodent has taken a liking to the lead battery terminals. Its either a squirrel or a rabbit , and my money is on a rabbit. I would say that the rabbit has eaten about 2 oz worth of lead so far.

Originally Posted by rubberchicken
I would say that the rabbit has eaten about 2 oz worth of lead so far.

Sounds like that rabbit is due for a drastic and sudden increase to its lead dosage.... That is, if you can find it!

A cayenne + fluid film mixture should be sprayable. Though it might take some experimentation (and hopefully proper PPE) to achieve appropriate ratios for application. And apparently bears are attracted to cayenne pepper (so long as its not sprayed as concentrate in their faces!).

Not to mention the millions of $$$ a year the dealers make fixing the mouse eaten wiring. It will never happen. Too much profit to be had by dealer and manufacture,

We had a rat chew the WW reservoir and hose. Before that a mouse chewed AC wiring. Comp. insurance covers this.

We have Mouse Blocker Pro (electric ultrasonic) in both vehicles.

They have never done anything I can find in Ford pickup. Other vehicles we would find nests around cabin filter and spare tire area.

Also Bounce dryer sheets and balsam bags may help.

Our cat is old. His hunting days are over I think.

Originally Posted by skyactiv
Originally Posted by blufeb95

I don't think Ford used soy based wiring (which attracts rodents) but I'm sure Hyundai did...in fact they may have been the first to use it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back