Ford Edge owners chime in

Status
Not open for further replies.
My wife an I own a 2016 Sienna, and it's a good vehicle, but its just the two of us now, and we really don't have a need for a vehicle this big. It's literally like driving a school bus around. We've been thinking of something a bit smaller like an SUV, and we really like the Edge. We haven't driven anything yet, but plan to do so soon. What are the pros and cons of the Edge? Any particular trim models/engine combos to stay away from, or gravitate towards?

My girlfriend has a 2016.

Pros: I like how it drives, It is the 2.3L and still has good acceleration for what it is. It is the perfect size.
Cons: It has poor quality. It rattles more than my 2015 CX5 did with more miles. It breaks often and expensively, based on its warranty history and her own experience with it. The latest was the SYNC 3 (whole unit needed replacing), and the windshield motors.

People love 'em.
For comparison, my neighbor just bought a CR-V EX-L AWD for $28,400 plus tax and license.
Flat out wonderful vehicle.

We had a 2014, last year of that generation and quality was still less than great. Ford quality in general has only gone down since. If you get one, I would lease.

We are in the opposite situation. My wife has a 13 Edge Sport with the 3.7. Has been an excellent vehicle for us but with kid number 3 coming out of an infant seat and going rear facing we need something bigger. So we are trying to find a Sienna.

The only issue we have had in 2 years and 40k of ownership has been a transmission range sensor replace when we first bought it.

I had a 2012 2.0 for a couple of years . Good people hauler. It's big enough without being too big. I liked it a lot. Mine had the MFT but they have switched to the Sync 3 system. Much better now.

I'm assuming you are buying new (correct me if I am wrong). In the latest redesign (2019 I think), they changed the transmission and AWD system. The 2.0 is a great little engine (have one in my Fusion). Unless you are wanting a lot of power, stick with the 2.0. I've driven the ST and it's almost too much engine. It's really fast. I would recommend premium fuel in either for optimal performance, though it's not required. They Edge will eat up the miles and is a very comfortable. You can get a great deal on them now.

Originally Posted by wallyuwl
We had a 2014, last year of that generation and quality was still less than great. Ford quality in general has only gone down since. If you get one, I would lease.

I've notice just the opposite with Ford...their vehicles seem to keep getting better...

Originally Posted by grampi

My wife an I own a 2016 Sienna, and it's a good vehicle, but its just the two of us now, and we really don't have a need for a vehicle this big. It's literally like driving a school bus around. We've been thinking of something a bit smaller like an SUV ...

The Edge is slightly smaller than the Sienna, but it is still BIG.

For two people, just buy a hatchback car. You get the flexible cargo space of a hatchback / wagon / SUV, but save a ton on purchase price and fuel economy.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by geeman789

My wife an I own a 2016 Sienna, and it's a good vehicle, but its just the two of us now, and we really don't have a need for a vehicle this big. It's literally like driving a school bus around. We've been thinking of something a bit smaller like an SUV ...

For two people, just buy a hatchback car. You get the flexible cargo space of a hatchback / wagon / SUV, but save a ton on purchase price and fuel economy.

Excuse me? 2016 Sienna length is 200.2 inches. 2020 Ford Edge length 188.8 inches. That's virtually a foot difference in length.

Originally Posted by geeman789

The Edge is considerably smaller than a Sienna, besides the wifey-poo ain't going for no car...it will have to be something that sits up higher, like an SUV...

We service a couple of the older models at our shop (2010's-2012ish). People seem to like them. Be careful of the front differential fluid - you have to change this stuff - if you don't you'll be buying a new unit. And if the water pump let's go, it's a disaster. Even aside from these two things, they are pretty darn reliable. One guy absolutely beats the ever living tar out of his...700 miles a week...pedal to the floor...only fixes things when it's about ready to fall off. He's driven these thugs over 200,000 miles without major problems. The last one he drove right into a tree (well that was a problem).

Subaru Crosstrek 176.2 inches. Subaru Impreza hatchback, also 176.2 inches. The only difference is the height.

Personally I would go with the Impreza they ride better and get 36 MPG highway. But I can see some people want the extra ride height and are willing to pay the wind noise, MPG and higher insurance premium. The inside space on both of them is amazing they are very space efficient.

and we really like the Edge.
Are you open to other makes/models? I'd check out Mazda CX-5 instead.

I had a rental Edge (i think it was 2016 or 2017), and the overall interior quality was rather poor. Maybe the top of the line trims are better?

I bought a used 2014 with about 25K on it about 2 1/2 years ago for my daughter's college car. Very roomy, drives nice, and the quietest car we own. Other than a damper motor on the heater that failed it has been perfect. Mileage isn't spectacular with the big v6 but my daughter's driving habits may be part of the problem there. The worst thing I can say about it is that it has the chain driven water pump inside the engine.

Originally Posted by NormanBuntz
Subaru Forester, Honda CRV or Toyota RAV4 unless you enjoy frequent trips to the Ford dealer.

Total hogwash.

How many Ford Edges, or any Ford with the Duratec V6, for that matter have you owned, Norman?

Originally Posted by john_pifer
Subaru Forester, Honda CRV or Toyota RAV4 unless you enjoy frequent trips to the Ford dealer.

Total hogwash.

How many Ford Edges, or any Ford with the Duratec V6, for that matter have you owned, Norman?

So, this is a strawman comment.
Why does one need to be a product owner in order to make an informed comment about its reliability?
If a product is known to be of poor quality, then owners would be some of the last people I would consult.
They're the ones making poor buying decisions when good information is readily available.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by Imp4
Originally Posted by john_pifer

Total hogwash.

So, this is a strawman comment.
Why does one need to be a product owner in order to make an informed comment about its reliability?
If a product is known to be of poor quality, then owners would be some of the last people I would consult.
They're the ones making poor buying decisions when good information is readily available.

That's laughable.

Where do you think reliability data comes from (the "good information" you reference)?

A member of my immediate family has a lot of personal experience with the Ford Edge, and I can highly recommend it, based on that experience, going all the way back to 2007.

I don't have time currently to relay that experience (I'm at work at the moment), but, when I get off later, I will.

My brother and his wife have a 2013, they bought it used with only 30k on it. Has the 3.5 which moves it down the road nicely.

its a very nice vehicle, its the higher end model so it has the gadgets etc and the interior is nice

they've done very little work to it, just regular oil changes etc. Only threw engine fault once since they had it and it was an Evap code which happens with capless fuel fill that just gets gummed up here and there so you just have to clean/lube it and its fine.

I changed the PTU fluid on it and yes that stuff needs to be changed regularly because of the location it gets hot etc.

but I've driven it down the road and they ride really nice and the headlights are awesome.

eventually I might be in the market for one but I'd probably go for the 2.7 ecoboost
smile.gif

Originally Posted by Black_Thunder
My brother and his wife have a 2013, they bought it used with only 30k on it. Has the 3.5 which moves it down the road nicely.

its a very nice vehicle, its the higher end model so it has the gadgets etc and the interior is nice

they've done very little work to it, just regular oil changes etc. Only threw engine fault once since they had it and it was an Evap code which happens with capless fuel fill that just gets gummed up here and there so you just have to clean/lube it and its fine.

I changed the PTU fluid on it and yes that stuff needs to be changed regularly because of the location it gets hot etc.

but I've driven it down the road and they ride really nice and the headlights are awesome.

eventually I might be in the market for one but I'd probably go for the 2.7 ecoboost
smile.gif

I thought about an Edge before getting my CX5, but the power just isn't there. The 2.7 Ecoboost is now rated at 335bhp, and 380# of torque, and it is backed by an 8-speed transmission. It's acceleration stats are 0-60 in 5.7, and 1/4 mile in 14.3@98mph. This is the new Edge ST model, and using C&D's stats (I find they are usually the quickest).

That's just really unimpressive to me. If I was going to buy a vehicle in this class, it would be a BMW M340i or SQ5. I doubt the Edge is any more reliable, based on my experience with my girlfriend's, and these would slaughter it in any comparison you chose to have except maybe "area in the hatch space" or something. I'd definitely buy this class of vehicle pre-owned, certified, due to the massive depreciation they suffer.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back