What Fluid For Snapper Rear Axle

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a 28" cut snapper mower just like the one shown in the picture below. Over the summer it has developed a wheel seal leak and leaks what appears to be gear oil on the outside of the rear wheel. According to parts schematics there is a seal that can be replaced. However, no where does it state in the manual what oil to use to replenish it. Anyone have any experience with something like this?
[Linked Image]

I'm assuming if you stand it up on it's end in the service position the leak is originating at the chain drive for the friction disk system? I've used "00" grease for these systems for years without issue.

Originally Posted by mattwithcats
Probably a Tuff Torq K46 tranny...

Either NAPA or Mobil 1 Full synthetic 15W-50, 2+ quarts...

Not even close...

These are disc drive, not a hydrostatic. Please don't make recommendations to posters without knowing which transmission they have.

Yes the gear case is small unit that provides a fixed reduction drive like the rear end in a car. The transmission which controls forward or reverse and the ground speed is a dry disk system that is not in a case.

Last edited:
My dad has the same Snapper he bought about 12 years ago. I changed the oil and sharpened the blade last year for him. The drive disc on his has several cracks and should be replaced. His is modded so when you go into reverse, the blade doesn't stop turning.

Dad's snapper had a badly cracked drive disk, bought a new one to have, he mowed with it about 5 more years until he had to go into the nursing home. Never broke. I mowed another 2 years until his house sold. Never broke. Put on new disk and sold mower. That mower is still running, they last a LONG time.

Rod

Originally Posted by mk378
Yes the gear case is small unit that provides a fixed reduction drive like the rear end in a car. The transmission which controls forward or reverse and the ground speed is a dry disk system that is not in a case.

We had one when I was growing up. It made it interesting at times because our yard would get really wet and the water would squirt up from the back wheels and get on the drive disc and it would slip and so it was stop and go until I learned to drive really slow through the wet area. Didn't like mowing when it was wet but there was a natural spring in that place and it needed to be mowed at times so it was the best way to get that part of the yard cut. Oh those were the days, young and care free. LOL

Originally Posted by ragtoplvr
Dad's snapper had a badly cracked drive disk, bought a new one to have, he mowed with it about 5 more years until he had to go into the nursing home. Never broke. I mowed another 2 years until his house sold. Never broke. Put on new disk and sold mower. That mower is still running, they last a LONG time.

Rod

They do. I have a customer with an early 80's model that has outlasted two Briggs engines and a set of tires. The machine has to have thousands of hours on it. It is garage kept and he is good about maintaining it.

The rear end takes 00 grease. 23 years ago I had an SR1642. Largest rear rider made at the time.I had to rebuild the rear end. I remember it was a pain to rebuild.

When the rear end is going out it will pop. If it is slipping you need the rubber belt part that mates to the disc.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back