Giti tires - newish large brand.

Status
Not open for further replies.
So my 2020 VW Tiguan loaner has Giti tires on it, always look at what kind of tires are on my loaners or rentals cause it is good to have real world experience with various tires. When I first saw them I thought someone had hooned out this loaner and they threw some cheap Chinese knockoffs of it. Well after some short Google searching it appears to be a newish (to the US market) tire manufacturer from Singapore that has only been in existence ~'03-'04 and only in the US market since ~'17 and they are now factory fitment to the VW Tiguan.

So they have only been in the North American market for maybe 3-4 years and have a manufacturing plant in South Carolina. Their website is pretty terrible. TireRack sells them and there are no real reviews for them except a few VW Tiguan owners. Overall they seem pretty decent, the tread pattern looks like a knockoff of the old school Michelin Energy MXV4+ or MXV4+S8, really nothing notable to complain about - but they also only have ~1200 miles on them.

GitComfort XA1

Giti Comfort XA1 Tirerack

I know most consumers would not care (especially the typical Tiguan buyers) but I have to say it is ballsy of VW to just pick a relatively new and unknown company to supply factory fit tires for their 2nd highest volume vehicle. After some research it looks like Giti is trying to break into the US market in personal and commercial tire market.

Last edited:
One of the 2019 Tiguans that we looked at had Giti tires. I passed on that one because of the Giti tires and sunroof. We chose one with Bridgestone tires and no sunroof.

Giti opened a US factory a couple years ago, I think in SC

But they have been selling tires in the US for longer than that. The GT Radial brand is made by Giti, for example

My Brother needed tires for his Volt summer before last, Local Discount tire steered him to GT Champiro something or others.

he loves 'em.. no complaints...

Can't be worse than the Bridgestone Ecopias my Jetta came with from the factory. So flat spotted the car shook ridiculously. Finally gave up on them at the 2,000 mile mark and threw some Hankooks on it.

I have them on my Tiguan, they seem fine. They do seem to break loose a little easily, I can't imagine the engine in this vehicle having that much power.

Company is headquartered in Singapore and tires on my car were made in China.

Originally Posted by slacktide_bitog
Primewell and Dextero tires are also Giti, in addition to GT Radial

Yep. Just put a set of the Dexteros on my old CR-V last week. Just an experiment with the cheapest tire I could find. Actually made in USA, quiet, smooth, and worked well in the rain we got today. Can't beat $248 installed for four tires around here.

Originally Posted by Jim_Truett
Originally Posted by slacktide_bitog
Primewell and Dextero tires are also Giti, in addition to GT Radial

Yep. Just put a set of the Dexteros on my old CR-V last week. Just an experiment with the cheapest tire I could find. Actually made in USA, quiet, smooth, and worked well in the rain we got today. Can't beat $248 installed for four tires around here.

Off topic but where did you get this cheap deal?

Giti has been around for a while - Primewell was their US brand but made in China and Firestone has exclusivity on their distribution. Dextero and GT Radial are available for everyone else.

VW takes a different approach to cost-cutting and logistics than GM and Toyota. I would believe VW choose Giti since the Chinese market is quite important to them and wants to streamline their supply chain as much as possible. Giti does have much more of a presence in China and South(east) Asia than Conti/Hankook/Michelin does.

Our 2018 Tiguan SE 4motion came with 4 Continental ProContact TX tires which were quite decent for 55k.

I put General RT43 Altimax that are made in Brazil.

If Giti is established company and potentially supplying VW Asia what does it matter? I have Made in Russia Nokian WR G3 SUV on my Acura MDX and totally fine.

Originally Posted by madRiver

If Giti is established company and potentially supplying VW Asia what does it matter? I have Made in Russia Nokian WR G3 SUV on my Acura MDX and totally fine.

Not saying anything about where they are sourced - I have Czech Republic brand (Barum) tires on my 2012 Sportwagen. Just that even my knowledgable self was like "what are these?" and who knows what your typical un-informed buyer would think when they see an unknown name tire on their brand new car. Typical person would know what Firestone, Bridgestone, Michelin, etc. etc. brands are - they may be garbage tires but have a solid name brand recognition so are generally accepted. Giti does not have the luxury of having long standing name brand recognition at least in the united so it just seemed like a pretty bold move from VW on a vehicle that moves 100k+ units per year in United States.

On a side note Giti built a manufacturing plant in South Carolina and it appears the Tiguan (at least North American market) is built in Puebla along side the Jetta so for all I know these tires were made a few hundred miles down the road in SC.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back