Good aftermarket shocks and struts?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've used KYB when Bilstein isn't available. Bilstein will last a long long time. I would never consider quick struts, most of them appear to be inferior imo.

Originally Posted by Bogdon
KYB are really suspect? Never heard a complaint about them from multiple users with different cars.

Heard lots of complaints about them especially considering how much fewer they sell relative to Monroe. Monroe you roll the dice, but they have a lifetime warranty too. I think people have unrealistic expectations with them. With the lifetime warranty I used to change the Monroes in the 60-80k range and the ride would improve. Some people think they should last 100-120k which is a bit unrealistic.

I've had good experience with KYB, decent quality and affordable price. I only put them on mid-level or economy cars. No sense putting a cheap shock on an expensive car, although many people have I'm sure.

If you are looking for high end aftermarket, go Bilstein.

Originally Posted by geeman789
Bilstein's, if available for your application, have been decent in a couple of past cars. I also had a set of Koni sport yellows that were very good.

Koni makes their Special Active shocks for the OP's 2010 Commander. They used to be called FSD and supposedly ride nice. They cost about the same as the yellow sports
smile.gif

Originally Posted by slacktide_bitog
Originally Posted by geeman789
Bilstein's, if available for your application, have been decent in a couple of past cars. I also had a set of Koni sport yellows that were very good.

Koni makes their Special Active shocks for the OP's 2010 Commander. They used to be called FSD and supposedly ride nice. They cost about the same as the yellow sports
smile.gif

Red Special Active is not used to be called FSD. It is a line below the FSD.

Originally Posted by Wolf359
KYB are really suspect? Never heard a complaint about them from multiple users with different cars.

Heard lots of complaints about them especially considering how much fewer they sell relative to Monroe. Monroe you roll the dice, but they have a lifetime warranty too. I think people have unrealistic expectations with them. With the lifetime warranty I used to change the Monroes in the 60-80k range and the ride would improve. Some people think they should last 100-120k which is a bit unrealistic.

I personally would pay a bit more to avoid only lasting 60-80k if possible. IMO struts and shocks if made and design right should last 100-120k like new OEM struts do. The labor to install struts can be $500-1000 and not everyone wants to deal with installing themselves.

Sash does OEM and IMO they are better than KYB and Monroe, your chance of getting an exact OEM is much higher.

Last edited:

They appear to have problems with the mounts on some complete strut assemblies i.e. "quick strut" but not the shock absorber itself. I conformed this by "pestering" their tech support. My car brand KYB replacement does have this problem but not my particular model.
I just went with the OEM from the car dealer, instead, to play it safe.

Sachs is great but unavailable for many cars.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back