2017-2019 GLA 250 4-Matic vs BMW X-1

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted by jeepman3071
Nice color!

Thanks, I like it and wife loves it. It was literally the only red BMW on the dealer lot at that moment.

Originally Posted by HangFire
Nice color!

Thanks, I like it and wife loves it. It was literally the only red BMW on the dealer lot at that moment.

As long as you can afford it, then this is literally all that matters, IMO, when it comes to ANYTHING (unless it's a life-saving tool that others may count on, and then other things matter).

Congrats and fine choice!
For your reading pleasure, head on over to the X3 forums at https://x3.xbimmers.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=310 and find all you ever wanted or cared to know about the F25 series.
I also have the Pirelli C7 run-flats, also at 7/32 tread remaining, and will be replacing them with regular tires soon. I'm contemplating General tire (made by Continental) model GMAX AS-05 and GMAX RS. DiscountTire has them for $144 and $156 a piece respectively.
As for scan tools and apps, I would also consider BimmerLink and BimmerCode, along with the supported OBD tool (I got the Veepeak unit). Lots of good info at your fingertips should the need arise.

Originally Posted by Olas
The X1 is a rebadged mini countryman. It would be significantly cheaper to buy one with a mini badge than a bmw badge - same engines 2wd/4wd option available just some people choose to pay 10-15k more for the same car with a different badge.

they're not even close to the same car....

yes, the platforms and drivelines are the same, but there's way more interior space in the X1. I've driven both, and they don't really feel all that similar, either--despite the fact that they have the same engine and chassis.

to the OP: congrats on the car. Ditch the runflats...

I've driven the X1 with the oem Pirelli's and then with an average performance A/S tire (Yokohama YK740). It was a night and day experience. The P7 run flats really are that bad--like, one of the worst tires I've ever experienced.

Congrats, great choice.

We have an '18 X3 that we keep for the In-Laws. I drive it at least once a week and am always amazed at how well it handles, especially in comparison to my Range Rover, granted they are different classes of vehicle, but the X3 just feels much, much smaller and lower than it is.

For the really good news, the BMW hasn't needed any unscheduled at all work since we got her in late '17.

Originally Posted by Ws6

Run flats suck. The first thing they did at Spring Mountain was take them off and install PS2s, back when I took their corvette driving course.

+1

Switching to regular tires made a night and day difference on my 328i. It handles and rides so much better, and the tires are much cheaper. I see zero advantage to run flats. You can drive maybe 1 mile at low speeds on them before they shred when they go flat, and pot holes around here cause them to blow out completely and shred even faster. The money saved between buying regular tires vs. run flats will pay for a spare tire + wheel and a tow truck/AAA membership.

Nice color!

Oddly, the run-flat Continentals on my late lamented '15 328i (F30) were quite comfortable, even on this third-world city's rotten streets, and quiet. I thought they'd be terrible, but they weren't. No idea what non-RFs would have been like, as I didn't have the car but four months before it was flooded and totaled.

As for the X3, I had two as loaners from the dealer while my 328i was being evaluated after the flood last July. One was white with a black interior, the other dark sapphire blue over caramel. Both rode beautifully, were swift and nimble, and didn't do too badly on fuel, and I got used to the higher-than-a-sedan seating position very fast. The blue was a new car. If I could have afforded to go into it, or a CPO, after the 328 was totaled, I might well have. Your '17 should be a dynamite vehicle!

Originally Posted by edyvw

Maintenance package you got is IMO waste of money. I understand if wife wanted so you just did it, but regular wear items for BMW are not anymore expensive than for appliance vehicles, maybe add 10-20%

Compared to DIY it surely cost more, and maybe an Indy mechanic, but it was not a waste of money. We pile on the miles quickly, and expect the 60K service to fall well within the maintenance plan period. The maintenance plan covers everything scheduled for a period of time, without a mileage limitation. We crunched the numbers against actual costs of dealer scheduled maintenance, and there's a considerable savings versus paying the dealer at time of service, about 60% off. That includes the interest of the fraction of the cost that went on the very low interest rate financing. (We had a substantial downpayment and a 60 month payoff, which we usually knock off 10-12 months due to prepayment).

If we don't put a lot of miles on the vehicle while on the plan, it wouldn't be worth it.

Originally Posted by Benzadmiral
Oddly, the run-flat Continentals on my late lamented '15 328i (F30) were quite comfortable, even on this third-world city's rotten streets, and quiet. I thought they'd be terrible, but they weren't. No idea what non-RFs would have been like, as I didn't have the car but four months before it was flooded and totaled.

As for the X3, I had two as loaners from the dealer while my 328i was being evaluated after the flood last July. One was white with a black interior, the other dark sapphire blue over caramel. Both rode beautifully, were swift and nimble, and didn't do too badly on fuel, and I got used to the higher-than-a-sedan seating position very fast. The blue was a new car. If I could have afforded to go into it, or a CPO, after the 328 was totaled, I might well have. Your '17 should be a dynamite vehicle!

Just completed driving the family on a shopping round trip, and I agree. Another thing that makes the car a real winner is the range, I filled up with 422 miles on the tank, most of that 422 was my wife's daily commute (half country and half miserable backed-up traffic). On open highway it should do even better. The V6 Camry also gets over 400 miles per tank.

I like Continentals in general (yuk yuk), will check them out when the time comes.

Maintenance package you got is IMO waste of money. I understand if wife wanted so you just did it, but regular wear items for BMW are not anymore expensive than for appliance vehicles, maybe add 10-20%

Compared to DIY it surely cost more, and maybe an Indy mechanic, but it was not a waste of money. We pile on the miles quickly, and expect the 60K service to fall well within the maintenance plan period. The maintenance plan covers everything scheduled for a period of time, without a mileage limitation. We crunched the numbers against actual costs of dealer scheduled maintenance, and there's a considerable savings versus paying the dealer at time of service, about 60% off. That includes the interest of the fraction of the cost that went on the very low interest rate financing. (We had a substantial downpayment and a 60 month payoff, which we usually knock off 10-12 months due to prepayment).

If we don't put a lot of miles on the vehicle while on the plan, it wouldn't be worth it.

On 60K you should do transfer case fluid and transmission. Does that cover that if you want? Because BMW does not have TC fluid and transmission fluid and filter pan as scheduled maintenance at 60k (actually at all, they consider that lifetime) although ZF recommends fluid change in transmission between 60 and 75k.
I think in that case you pay regular price since it is not regular maintenance.

Last edited:
The 60K maintenance is an expensive one, even without trans and transfer case.

Those I can do myself, or there is a local Indy with a good reputation if I don't feel like it.

Those I can do myself, or there is a local Indy with a good reputation if I don't feel like it.

How much?

What is involved in 60K? Coil packs and spark plugs?
This is what I found for 60K:
Action: Description
Inspect/Adjust/Change Rotate Tires
Inspect/Adjust/Change Replace engine oil and filter
Inspect/Adjust/Change Inspect windshield wiper and washer systems and fluids levels
Inspect/Adjust/Change Inspect suspension components
Inspect/Adjust/Change Inspect steering linkage
Inspect/Adjust/Change Inspect power steering fluid level
Inspect/Adjust/Change Inspect half shaft dust boots
Inspect/Adjust/Change Inspect exhaust system
Inspect/Adjust/Change Inspect engine accessory drive belt
Inspect/Adjust/Change Inspect coolant recovery reservoir
Inspect/Adjust/Change Inspect clutch operation
Inspect/Adjust/Change Inspect brake fluid level
Inspect/Adjust/Change Inspect automatic/manual transmission fluid
Inspect/Adjust/Change Inspect air cleaner/element
Inspect/Adjust/Change Check turn signals and hazard warning lights
Inspect/Adjust/Change Check shocks and struts
Inspect/Adjust/Change Check radiator, coolers, heater, and A/C hoses
Inspect/Adjust/Change Check battery, exterior lamps, and horn operation
Inspect/Adjust/Change Replace cabin air filter (if applicable)
Inspect/Adjust/Change Inspect wheel ends
Inspect/Adjust/Change Inspect parking brake system
Inspect/Adjust/Change Inspect driveshaft and driveshaft/propeller shaft U joints
Inspect/Adjust/Change Inspect cooling system hoses and clamps
Inspect/Adjust/Change Inspect brake system
Inspect/Adjust/Change Inspect ball joints
Inspect/Adjust/Change Replace fuel filter
Inspect/Adjust/Change Replace air cleaner/element
Inspect/Adjust/Change Inspect heat shields, and exhaust heat shields

Congrats on the new purchase. We have several BMWs. As others have stated ditch the run flats as soon as possible. We borderline regretted buying our X6 until we changed to regular tires, completely different ride and love it now. We also have Carly which helps LOTS with DIY jobs.

Originally Posted by Gixxer8989
Congrats on the new purchase. We have several BMWs. As others have stated ditch the run flats as soon as possible. We borderline regretted buying our X6 until we changed to regular tires, completely different ride and love it now. We also have Carly which helps LOTS with DIY jobs.

Agree100%.

I forget all the details, but the brakes are usually done at the 60K mark.

It really depends on the driving conditions. My wife almost doubled the brake pad life on her E83 compared to the original owner.

Brakes are going to be done per IBS condition. If IBS is not reporting too much wear (which means if second stage on sensor did not trip) they will not change it.
And DIY brakes are really, really affordable using Brembo, ATE, Textar or Pagid components (all OE suppliers).
Here is how much it was for my 2013 X5:
Brembo rotors: $190 (pair on sale)
Pagid rear rotors: $119 (pair on sale)
ATE front pads: $95
ATE rear pads: $56.
ATE brake fluid: $12 per liter.

Last edited:
My wife bought the package compared to dealer service pricing (not DIY), and as a gift for me, a gift of almost 3 years of free time. The dealer pricing comparison is entirely valid because we only use dealer service until the drivetrain warranty runs out. There are other aspects. I will never be in the middle of a "is this really necessary" conversation. If it is maintenance and it is necessary, it is already paid for and will be covered.

Quoting DIY parts prices is kind of pointless to someone who has been doing his own brakes since the 1980's. Once the maintenance package expires, I will start the BMW DIY. The package is already purchased. I am loving the peace of mind as I have 3 other vehicles and other projects to take up my limited time.

As usual BITOG makes someone regret even mentioning something.

My wife bought the package compared to dealer service pricing (not DIY), and as a gift for me, a gift of almost 3 years of free time. The dealer pricing comparison is entirely valid because we only use dealer service until the drivetrain warranty runs out. There are other aspects. I will never be in the middle of a "is this really necessary" conversation. If it is maintenance and it is necessary, it is already paid for and will be covered.

Quoting DIY parts prices is kind of pointless to someone who has been doing his own brakes since the 1980's. Once the maintenance package expires, I will start the BMW DIY. The package is already purchased. I am loving the peace of mind as I have 3 other vehicles and other projects to take up my limited time.

As usual BITOG makes someone regret even mentioning something.

OK, I am just saying that it is really not that expensive, but you are right, you already purchased it so try to milk it away as much as possible.

Brakes are going to be done per IBS condition. If IBS is not reporting too much wear (which means if second stage on sensor did not trip) they will not change it.
And DIY brakes are really, really affordable using Brembo, ATE, Textar or Pagid components (all OE suppliers).
Here is how much it was for my 2013 X5:
Brembo rotors: $190 (pair on sale)
Pagid rear rotors: $119 (pair on sale)
ATE front pads: $95
ATE rear pads: $56.
ATE brake fluid: $12 per liter.

I don't know the per-component cost when I had brakes done on my 2015 CX5, but total was around $600 or so including parts from the dealer, and dealership labor, using all new Mazda rotors and pads. I had no issue with that, as the OEM's made it to 95K miles and still weren't totally worn out, so I figure they're good 'nuff. That BMW tax be steep, yo!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back