ST 0W-20 2013 Sienna 100k

Just keep sniffing the dipstick for fuel in the latter part of that next 10k run. You may even smell it inside the vehicle once in a while.
Can you explain why? I can smell fuel on my dipstick with only about 1000 to 1500 miles on my ST FS 0w20 in the last 3 months.
Should I be concerned?

Last edited:
Can you explain why? I can smell fuel on my dipstick with only about 1000 to 1500 miles on my ST FS 0w20 in the last 3 months.
Should I be concerned?
I have found the “sniff test” to be a very unreliable substitute for a gas chromatography analysis for fuel dilution.

I have found the “sniff test” to be a very unreliable substitute for a gas chromatography analysis for fuel dilution.
Really? So one could 'smell' gas but not actually be smelling gas? I've got a vehicle that makes, uhh... gassy smelling oil :LOL: and seems to turn the oil a slightly orangish color but no other obvious issues.

I know, I should just get the friggin' oil tested.

Really? So one could 'smell' gas but not actually be smelling gas? I've got a vehicle that makes, uhh... gassy smelling oil :LOL: and seems to turn the oil a slightly orangish color but no other obvious issues.

I know, I should just get the friggin' oil tested.

Not sure why this is funny to you. What you are smelling are hydrocarbons. Fuel is part of that.

Scientific measurement will always be better than trying to determine by sniffing the dipstick.

Not sure what happened but your UOA print out is not currently coming up?
Was sitting in my downloads folder since way back when I first looked at it.
1614892856579.jpg

Not sure why this is funny to you. What you are smelling are hydrocarbons. Fuel is part of that.

Scientific measurement will always be better than trying to determine by sniffing the dipstick.
I use the Magic 8 Ball whenever I check the oil.

Back