Difference in Valvoline Asian red offerings?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Other than about $7 a gallon, can somebody tell me the difference between these two products? ( hopefully attaching the pictures worked)

Because I've read the labels, front and back, very carefully on both of them and they both seem to be saying the same thing. And they both are by Valvoline, except the one with with the big V for Valvoline and blow it, a little blurry, says "with zerex technology" is the Lesser expensive of the two.

Added a clear front and back photo of the second one

Screenshot_2020-02-23-23-32-47.png

Screenshot_2020-02-23-23-32-30.png

Screenshot_2020-02-23-23-54-44.png

Screenshot_2020-02-23-23-54-53.png

Last edited:
ethylene glycol Vs. OAT or HOAT?

look up SDS online for both, they will give you a clear indication of the differences.

remember that selling the same thing in two different packages opens you up to twice the potential customer base (think about how many different badges get attatched to the same car...)

My Walmart only carries the Valvoline Asian RED or at least, this is all I seem to find there. I was looking for the Asian BLUE but I can never find it. I don't think it make much difference but, both of the daily drivers in my signature(Altima, Civic) have BLUE coolant.

They're both the same thing, Valvoline started putting the Asian Vehicle AF in new jugs recently. They're both P-HOAT, very similar to Toyota Red LLC, not quite as good as the Toyota pink SLLC, but at a lower price.

Other than one sold at WM (right) and one sold elsewhere, no difference. At one point seemed as if WM might go to left jug label design by online pic, but hasn't happened to this point, at least locally. They are long service interval Asian PHoat AFs making them same as SLL pink premix. As noted daily/regular price at WM lowest, $12.50-13. Also comes in blue tint to match, Honda, Nissan, and Subaru.....

Originally Posted by Olas
)

Ethylene glycol is the major component of most coolants including OAT and HOAT. It's not ethylene glycol vs OAT and HOAT. Check the SDS sheets.They all list glycol as the major ingredient, usually at 85% or more. They rest of the chemicals are the specific inhibitors they contain.

Originally Posted by Sayjac
Other than one sold at WM (right) and one sold elsewhere, no difference. At one point seemed as if WM might go to left jug label design by online pic, but hasn't happened to this point, at least locally. They are long service interval Asian PHoat AFs making them same as SLL pink premix. As noted daily/regular price at WM lowest, $12.50-13. Also comes in blue tint to match, Honda, Nissan, and Subaru.....

Not to nitpick too much, but SLLC pink is actually 10 years from the factory, red LLC was only 5. The pink does last almost forever, this is my xB's 15th birthday month (bought Feb. 2005j, the original SLLC still looks brand new! I need to change it soon, though.

My resource being Toyota forums including but not limited to Toyota Nation here and majority information posted this subforum says SLL pink 10year/100k miles years for FF, 5 years ~50k miles in subsequent to FF service. That being the case, Zerex Asian Formula and WM Valv/Zerex Asian Phoat long service interval PHoat AFs matching SLL premix. And about double LL red. Same goes for Honda service interval blue tint premix. My speculation for the subsequent service interval, most if not all will do simple radiator d&f leaving some old AF in engine block.

Having owned an 01 Tacoma specing Red LL, OM states 2 years/30k miles no matter FF or subsequent to FF service. Also listed ToyotaNation link. Another link, same information regarding SLL as ToyN http://carspecmn.com/toyota-and-lexus-coolant-replacement-and-maintenance/

Originally Posted by Snagglefoot
Originally Posted by Olas
Ethylene glycol is the major component of most coolants including OAT and HOAT. It's not ethylene glycol vs OAT and HOAT. Check the SDS sheets.They all list glycol as the major ingredient, usually at 85% or more. They rest of the chemicals are the specific inhibitors they contain.

Yes that would be like asking "hydrocarbon vs. titanium or molybdenum additive package" about a motor oil. There are a few propylene glycol based coolants but not the majority.

Originally Posted by Sayjac

Thank you. As others have mentioned I am aware of different marketing strategies, however sometimes there is a difference behind the branding, kind of like between Toyota and Lexus so I just wanted to check. I'm not into the weeds with this kind of stuff like many of y'all are so I just figured I'd come to the place where I figured I could get some good advice on it.

Basically I just want to make sure I wasn't cheating myself out of some added quality or benefit of getting the other more expensive one. However I did read both labels carefully and they both seem like the same to me for my *purposes but I didn't know if I was missing something

One of the things I am NOT trying to do is stretch it out to the last possible year or month of its service life, so that kind of thing doesn't matter to me. I just want it make sure I'm getting the right stuff too work effectively while it's in there between services for the next 3 years... if my old girl last that long.

So the offering through Walmart it is.

Thanks everybody for their input.

* I'm having my radiator and thermostat replaced but I'm not having the system flushed out as I just had that done a little over a year ago. But I prefer to put new coolant in it as opposed to captured drained off coolant.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back