Homemade pizza

Originally Posted by 97prizm
In Colorado the high altitude makes it difficult to make good pizza dough. I haven't found a good recipe.

My mom lived on Long Island for decades and became a master pie maker. She moved to Florida and had nothing but trouble with her crusts. My buddy is a chef and I asked him about it and he figured it out. Ill ask him about you. Is it the water or something else?

Originally Posted by spasm3
I've tried, i could never get the dough right, i don't have a good recipe for the dough.

Some bakeries will sell you "pizza" dough, ready to go. All you have to do is flatten it, toss it and remove it from the ceiling....

Last edited:
I do a homemade Margherita style pizza on the grill. The only thing I don't make from scratch is the fresh whole milk mozzarella. I have made it before, but just far too time consuming considering how cheap it is at a local deli. Make my sauce from San Marzano plum tomatoes with chopped red onion and fresh basil from out back. A little drizzle of extra virgin olive oil and cracked black pepper tops it off.

[Linked Image]

L8R,
Matt

The crust is the hardest thing to get right in home made pizza but what I have found that works for me is once you have the dough rolled out on the pan bake it for a few minutes before you put the sauce and toppings on.

The best I've found is the Pillsbury thin cruste dough you find in the refrigerated section.

Believe it or not, 50/50 mix of plain greek yogurt and self rising flour makes a TERRIFIC dough. It's some sort of weight watchers thing my wife's perpetually-dieting friend told her about, but it's really tasty.
I tried that dough recipe. Once.
Personally we didn't care for it.
Tossed the self rising flour the next day.

Been doing a lot of sheet pan/grandma style pizza. Super easy, using bon appetit or serious eats dough recipe, good quality olive oil on the pan, make my own sauce using Bianco di napoli tomatoes, and whole milk mozz. Found that one stone on the bottom rack and one on the top of our wolf seems to make a nice convection zone in the middle. Tried it at 550 but seem to get best results at 450 for 20 mins.

Dough is in a bowl rising. Mozz in fridge, Garden vedgies, chopping sounds. Pizza tonight. :cool:

PS Gardening tip. If you're growing tomatoes, throw in a few basil seeds. :cool:

Made some pies yesterday... With a 2-day fermented sourdough crust. Originally destined to make a nice sourdough loaf, but we decided to make pizza with that dough instead last minute.

I usually cook pizzas up in the Kamado grill outside over hardwood lump, but kept it simple yesterday and just did them at 550F in the convection oven (on pizza stone).

One was pepperoni, green pepper, black olives and onion. The other was half garden tomato/basil and the other half being smoked jalapenos, pickled jalapeno, green pepper and onion.

Homemade sauce with herbs from the garden as well. Delicious as always!

pizza1.jpg

pizza2.jpg

Back