Denso Iridium TT's are great

Status
Not open for further replies.
Pulled my current plugs with about 35K on them and they are still flawless... My car calls for NGK laser iridiums and I know people like to stick with OEM but I highly recommend Denso TT's for $5 a plug. These are 4701's for Honda J series engine (Odyssey) FYI.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Last edited:
Yeah man I got the tt spark plugs in my car... They have been very good... A lot cheaper vs the Denso Iridium long life plugs.

Originally Posted by JeffKeryk
I shoulda used them in the '98 Accord 4 banger I just serviced...
All good.

98 is probably a platinum for OE spec. Nothing wrong with running an iridium when a platinum is spec'd however.

Replaced original Denso TTs in my 4 cylinder Camry at 112k. 2 of them were missing the top tip. NGK Laser Iridiums went in. 35k is not many miles for an Iridium plug.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by jayjr1105
Originally Posted by JeffKeryk
I shoulda used them in the '98 Accord 4 banger I just serviced...
All good.

98 is probably a platinum for OE spec. Nothing wrong with running an iridium when a platinum is spec'd however.

1998 still used cheapo copper plug, NGK V-Power. $3 each (or less).
Great plug but I swap 'em at 30K or so.

Last edited:
I've had great results with both NGKs and Densos over the years.

What is the difference between the 2 types of Denso iridiums?

I had personally tested, more than 10 years ago, standard NGK back to back with Denso Iridium Power series, on a K4M engine. By doing 3 pulls on the same closed road, the same day, out of each spark plugs set (each were brand new), the performance with Denso was actually better. I favour Denso Iridium Power instead of NGK Iridium because 0.4mm tip on the Denso.

My only concern is with special OEM NGK Plugs like when there's an A suffix, or a P prefix (projected electrode).

I tried iridium plugs once, the ones with the thin electrode. I followed Densos own reccomendations for part numbers based on the car I had at the time, double checked the heat range and thread and projection and all the and cross referenced against factory parts but they misfired at anything over light throttle. Went back to bosch slver super 4 and neverhad a problem since.

sometimes the science doesnt align with what we see in the real world.

Originally Posted by Olas
I tried iridium plugs once, the ones with the thin electrode. I followed Densos own reccomendations for part numbers based on the car I had at the time, double checked the heat range and thread and projection and all the and cross referenced against factory parts but they misfired at anything over light throttle. Went back to bosch slver super 4 and neverhad a problem since.

Yes it happens unfortunately, that's why I stick to references that come back intact when crossed in both directions (see what I mean?) when it's not my cars.

Last edited:

With spark plugs, I've learned that despite all of the marketing claims the spark plug makers like to make, just stick with the OEM spec'd plugs.
Pulled my current plugs with about 35K on them and they are still flawless... My car calls for NGK laser iridiums and I know people like to stick with OEM but I highly recommend Denso TT's for $5 a plug. These are 4701's for Honda J series engine (Odyssey) FYI.

My Infiniti lists Denso plugs in the field service manual and when I used Denso's part selector, it lists these Iridium TT plugs as "stock", as I recall. Denso and Infiniti say they're good for 105k miles and I replaced mine at 120k. They looked good and the gaps were in spec on all (6) plugs ! They offer a "long life" Iridium as well but I figure if these lasted 120k, that's good enough for me !

I tried Denso iridiums on my previous Passat 2.0T and it misfired like crazy (FSI-EA113 engine).

However though, NGK Iridium-IX, Denso Iridiums (Power & Tough) works fine on my current Tiguan 2.0T (TSI, EA888 engine).... so the science did align with the real world on this engine.

Originally Posted by UG_Passat

I tried Denso iridiums on my previous Passat 2.0T and it misfired like crazy (FSI-EA113 engine).

However though, NGK Iridium-IX, Denso Iridiums (Power & Tough) works fine on my current Tiguan 2.0T (TSI, EA888 engine).... so the science did align with the real world on this engine.

VW is very picky from my understanding and should stick with the VW/Audi plugs.

Originally Posted by zrxkawboy

Some of the Denso and NGK Iridiums have a shorter lifespan, maybe 70K miles or something. I forget which is which. The laser iridiums (NGK) and Denso TT's are both rated for 100K miles.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by UG_Passat

VW is very picky from my understanding and should stick with the VW/Audi plugs.

Originally Posted by zrxkawboy

Some of the Denso and NGK Iridiums have a shorter lifespan, maybe 70K miles or something. I forget which is which. The laser iridiums (NGK) and Denso TT's are both rated for 100K miles.

Many have pulled the Laser Iridum plugs out of all sort of vehicles at a 100K and have noticed how well they looked!

Sorry-there is no "new" news here.

Last edited:
I am a big fan of the Denso TT plugs having used the platinum and iridium versions. I also like the Denso oil and air filters - they seem to be a good quality part.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back