Originally Posted by madRiver

We need a special place for people like you

That's America for me. Very special!
smile.gif

Originally Posted by OilReport99
Originally Posted by Quattro Pete
FIFY

I was referring to all the monuments and landmarks that one can sight-see in Italy.

Yeah,

[Linked Image]

I see no problem except too many rear ends. What are they doing looking for someone's contact lens? Anyway their business is none of mine. Now the building behind there was some real written history and not of the gentle kind. Imagine what happened in there. Love to go to Italy someday, right after I visit the Czech Republic maybe. Like most Americans, ancestors came from somewhere else mine from Bohemia in what is now called the Czech Republic. Supposed to be very nice.

Originally Posted by Farnsworth
Originally Posted by Quattro Pete
FIFY

I was referring to all the monuments and landmarks that one can sight-see in Italy.

Yeah,

[Linked Image]

I see no problem except too many rear ends. What are they doing looking for someone's contact lens? Anyway their business is none of mine. Now the building behind there was some real written history and not of the gentle kind. Imagine what happened in there. Love to go to Italy someday, right after I visit the Czech Republic maybe. Like most Americans, ancestors came from somewhere else mine from Bohemia in what is now called the Czech Republic. Supposed to be very nice.

Small home research work for you: Bohemian Crystal.

Thanks, everyone, for the contributions and suggestions! Especially Quattro Pete!

We're going to Costa Rica!

We'll drive up to her home town of Warsaw, IN. to get married at her family's church, drive down to Indy after the wedding and reception and spend that night in a swanky hotel, then back to Nashville the next day.

We'll take a day to pack and get ready, then fly to MIA the next day at 0600. Brief layover there (hopefully no problems that would cause us to miss our connection), then we'll fly to Daniel Oduber Quiros Int'l Airport in Liberia, Costa Rica (LIR). Should arrive there at noon that day.

I rented a Toyota Fortuner SUV (looks similar to a Toyota Highlander, but I've read it's based on the Toyota Hilux pickup, so, probably RWD-based; I know there are 4WD variants). I've read they come equipped with either the 2.7L 4-banger or the same 1GR-FE 4.0 V6 that my Tacoma has. Hope to get one with a manual, but, that's probably rare with the V6 version. I'm going to call Budget Rental tomorrow and see if I can nail down more precisely what it will be. So, being a car enthusiast and Toyota fan, that's actually kinda exciting to me to be able to drive something I've never driven.

I decided it would be cool to get to experience more of Costa Rica instead of staying at the same place the entire time, so, I booked 3 separate hotels/resorts.

For the first 2 nights, we'll be at The Royal Corin Thermal Water Spa and Resort, right next to Arenal Volcano, in La Fortuna:

https://www.royalcorin.com/facilities.html

For the next 2 nights, we'll drive to Monteverde, the region known for its "Cloud Forests":

http://www.hotelbelmar.net/

And, for our last 3 nights, we'll drive out to the Pacific Coast, to a region called Punta Islita. The resort we're staying at is on the beach:

https://www.marriott.com/hotels/travel/lirak-hotel-punta-islita-autograph-collection/

So, 7 nights total.

Can't wait!!

It'll be fun to get to explore Costa Rica! This will be her first time out of the country. I've only been on a cruise almost 20 years ago where we had shore excursions to a few Caribbean islands (Barbados and St. Kitts being a couple). So this will be a pretty new experience to me, as well!

Some things I need to find out are, whether our phones will work down there, if American credit cards are widely accepted, and, how much cash to carry. Also, whether I need to obtain some Costa Rican currency before going down. Also, I'm wondering if I'd be able to send off for some good road maps. I don't want to depend on phone GPS that might not work.

Originally Posted by WhyMe
there is a huge ex pat community in Costa Rica. have a couple of friends that are planning to retire there.

I had heard that there were a lot of Americans and folks from other places who live there either full or part-time.

It's reassuring because neither of us speaks Spanish!

Sounds like a fun trip.

I would download the maps to your phone (or tablet) before you travel, so you can use them even if you don't have any coverage there. With that said, I don't know how reliable the digital maps are, especially when it comes to smaller/local roads. Having a paper map as backup would certainly be a good idea. We relied on the locals to drive us around when we were there.

Check to see if you and your wife need any immunizations prior to the trip.

You can hardly beat a cruise for cost savings. Abd you can go to many cool places and chose many excursions if you wish.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back