More 6.7 PSD engine repairs

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted by Donald
These see a lot more idle time than your typical truck with a PSD. Wonder if that is part of the problem?

Yes idle time is a problem, and the emissions equipment makes it worse (this truck does not apply). Ambulances have a high idle function built in with the parking brake. That is much better for the engine than low speed idle.

Lots of idle time usually results in high valve train wear. The lifters were tired on this engine but rocker arms did not look bad. Cylinders themselves were in great shape for the hours.

Last edited:
These see a lot more idle time than your typical truck with a PSD. Wonder if that is part of the problem?

How long do you think it should live?
I am curious as well. It seems some of the Gas engines can pull these kind of hours as well.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by mattd

Yes idle time is a problem, and the emissions equipment makes it worse (this truck does not apply). Ambulances have a high idle function built in with the parking brake. That is much better for the engine than low speed idle.

Lots of idle time usually results in high valve train wear. The lifters were tired on this engine but rocker arms did not look bad. Cylinders themselves were in great shape for the hours.

What's the maintenance schedule (Oil, coolant, ATF, PS fluid) on these trucks with all the idle hours?

Oil every 4-6 weeks, (around 350ish hours). ATF twice a year with filter once a year. Coolant is basically with repairs the trucks are apart somewhat I often. PS Turkey baster a few times per year
Originally Posted by BlakeB

What's the maintenance schedule (Oil, coolant, ATF, PS fluid) on these trucks with all the idle hours?

Originally Posted by super20dan
Originally Posted by maxdustington
Originally Posted by dogememe
Originally Posted by Jarlaxle
Might be time to switch to gas power.

This. Fuel economy will be awful in something so heavy but it'll be far cheaper to keep a gasser on the road.
Ford PSDs should be banned from the public sector. What a waste!

I agree-how could they possiably be given ambulance contracts again after the 6.0 and 6.4 fiasco

It should be pretty obvious...

COST. Most contracts go to the lowest bidder. Ford sells a lot of trucks to fleets, so their prices can be even lower. Like mattd stated, the cost of a new ambulance can be upwards of $300,000. Most of the municipalities I work with have very tight budgets.

Oil every 4-6 weeks, (around 350ish hours). ATF twice a year with filter once a year. Coolant is basically with repairs the trucks are apart somewhat I often. PS Turkey baster a few times per year
Originally Posted by BlakeB
mattd said:
Donald said:

I do the turkey baster method on my cars with hydraulic power steering as well. Seems to work just fine.

Originally Posted by maxdustington
Originally Posted by dogememe
Originally Posted by Jarlaxle
Might be time to switch to gas power.

This. Fuel economy will be awful in something so heavy but it'll be far cheaper to keep a gasser on the road.
Ford PSDs should be banned from the public sector. What a waste!

Ford should be ordered to buy back (at full selling price) and destroy every one of them.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back