2007 Vibe coolant smell

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a 2007 Pontiac Vibe, 1.8 L, auto. 110K miles. Been using the car to teach wife parrallel parking. When it heats up, I can smell coolant. It's a very faint whiff of it and I am not losing much if any coolant. Like over a year, maybe an ounce. I cannot detect the smell inside the cabin but standing outside, I can however, if I lift the hood, the smell quick dissipates.

Could the reservoir leak vapor and cause this? Would a new radiator cap help? Any ideas? No leaks on the ground and minimal loss of coolant over a year.....

radiator caps do go bad, and they're not a lot of money, but if you do replace it, get an OE cap
smile.gif

Does the car overheat?

If it has a coolant recovery tank, that's probably the smell. My new 17' Jeep Wrangler was doing the same thing. I learned to ignore it.

Originally Posted by slacktide_bitog
radiator caps do go bad, and they're not a lot of money, but if you do replace it, get an OE cap
smile.gif

Does the car overheat?

no overheating

My 2006 vibe has it every now and then. Look at the radiator. If I look down from the engine bay, mine has some crusted engine coolant on the fins. It's "leaking" I suppose but I very seldom top it up and it's not dripping so I just monitor every oci.

Last edited:
Watch the water pump weep hole, the 1.8s are known for seeping SLLC out of the hole. My mom's '06 1.8 Matrix does it occasionally and then suddenly stops again.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back