More 6.7 PSD engine repairs

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted by mattd
Originally Posted by tig1
Originally Posted by Chris142
You will be lucky if you get 20000 miles out of knurled guides.

If that becomes the case the machine shop will be eating the bill

The engine rebuild shop I do welding for is top flight. I don't know if they knurl valve guides, but if knurled valve guides are a problem why do they do it if it's a risk and the customer pays regardless?
21.gif

The machine shop we use is the best in the state. They have knurled guides for us in the past without an issue. But as I stated if it becomes the case where they fail, they stand behind their work.

And to add to my post about ambulance manufacturers I mean, Horton, Osage, wheeled coach, PL customs, Frazier bilt, and E One.

Yes. Machine shops have too much at stake to produce bogus work. If they do they won't be in business long. Thanks for the PICS and again I wish you well with the surgery.

Thanks for the surgery wishes. Nothing serious thankfully (bilateral carpal tunnel and cubital tunnel release)

And to add about the valve guide repairs, I'm not even sure replacement guides are available for this engine yet. The first years of the engine production starting coming out of warranty only few years ago. I've also not seen a single thread of information online about having issues with them yet. So that may be another reason as to why they were knurled. He didn't mention excessive guide wear when I talked to the owner on The phone, just poor intake valve sealing and carbon build up. Maybe it was just to tighten them up a tad, no idea. I'll call next week and find out more if I can.

Just remembered this engine also has the late design heads (2017 and newer) and I'm not sure if the guide design changes were different between early and late designs.

Last edited:
That is a busy Serpentine belt!! Worse than on my Zero Turn mower. How long do they last?

Originally Posted by rekit
That is a busy Serpentine belt!! Worse than on my Zero Turn mower. How long do they last?

A long time. I replaced it during this job, at 120$ cost from the dealer. This one that I replaced I think was new when the original engine was replaced with this one. It drives 2 water pumps , 2 alternators, 2 idler pullers, an ac compressor, a tensioner, and a PS pump.

Last edited:

Do they off a warranty on a commercial application? Most do not.

Do they off a warranty on a commercial application? Most do not.

Yes. We had a camshaft by go bad that they had "repaired". They Paid for everything.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by maxdustington
Originally Posted by dogememe
Originally Posted by Jarlaxle
Might be time to switch to gas power.

This. Fuel economy will be awful in something so heavy but it'll be far cheaper to keep a gasser on the road.
Ford PSDs should be banned from the public sector. What a waste!

I agree-how could they possiably be given ambulance contracts again after the 6.0 and 6.4 fiasco

Originally Posted by super20dan
Originally Posted by maxdustington
Originally Posted by dogememe
Originally Posted by Jarlaxle
Might be time to switch to gas power.

This. Fuel economy will be awful in something so heavy but it'll be far cheaper to keep a gasser on the road.
Ford PSDs should be banned from the public sector. What a waste!

I agree-how could they possiably be given ambulance contracts again after the 6.0 and 6.4 fiasco

We all know you don't like ford diesels, no need to keep beating your dead horse.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by P10crew
Matt... can I ask what the price tag is on a job like that?

I didn't see the final bill, but I know our cost with all the parts from ford (turbo, injectors, lifters, gaskets and a handful of more things) was around 6000$. Machine shop cost was 1500$, and our cost on studs were just shy of 800$. So parts and services alone for the engine about 8300$. Needed some other Misc things for wiring and other small things...negligible in cost. Total labor for engine repairs I think was 33 hours or so including extra time for the upfitting. Truck also got new brakes with calipers and new rear springs/shocks while i had it. I'd guess for engine work alone around 13,000$. Probably 1400$ Or so for brakes springs and shocks with labor.

Keep in mind a new Truck is about 300,000$. And a new engine installed is around 18,000-19,000

Last edited:
Thanks for sharing. Interesting to say the least.

What is average hours on something like that? I am seeing more and more Caprice PPVs show up at auction and running with 10,000 to 12,000 miles on them.
Guys will still drive them without and major repairs unless they have a DOD failure.

Around here they run the small freightliner for the ambulance/ rescue rigs. I don't know what those run for powertrain

Originally Posted by P10crew
Around here they run the small freightliner for the ambulance/ rescue rigs. I don't know what those run for powertrain

Likely a Cummins or IH engine in those freightliners.

Originally Posted by ls1mike
Thanks for sharing. Interesting to say the least.

What is average hours on something like that? I am seeing more and more Caprice PPVs show up at auction and running with 10,000 to 12,000 miles on them.
Guys will still drive them without and major repairs unless they have a DOD failure.

This particular truck has 30,200 hours total run time. It's a 2011. This truck has got it's life out of it, but at this point they don't have money for new vehicles so they've are forced to repair the ones they have. The city that owns this truck runs their equipment beyond practical use. But new vehicles come basically when the chassis rot out. This truck is not rotted. Everything has already been repaired or replaced in the drivetrain at least once already (other than rear end)

Last edited:
So the first engine got about 18,000 hours. I was just wondering as the cop cars see some wild amounts of hours, but it is different duty and they are gassers.
Couple of guys have 2011 Caprices with close to 20,000 now. The both did the DOD delete at some point.

The engine in there now was a 12,000 you say? Maybe I missed it, who did the rebuild?

Last edited:
Yes the original engine went 18,000. This was a ford reman drop in engine that wasn't installed by me.

I see lots of police interceptor explorers that other guys in the shop work on with well over 20,000 hours on 2015 explorers. Original engines with maybe one or 2 exceptions. Those failures were due to water pump failures (3.7)

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back