Those with 5.3's weigh in

Originally Posted by tstep
99 Silverado parked in 2017. 254k on both the 5.3 and 4l60e. Both are fine. Numerous other things went. Things that parked it were cracked frame and rusted all over.

That's about how my 2002 Dodge went south … the front end and rear end and body damage …
… engine and trans were Ok …
(and around here it probably did head south)

Leave the afm alone and change the oil more frequently with the money you would have spent. It will last until the transmission gives up or the body rots.

2003 avalanche 5.3 185k
2006 tahoe 5.3 198k
Both engines run synthetic all there lives.
Both original engine and tranny.
Trany fluid gets changed every 30 or 40 k with valvoline maxlife.
Just a drain and refill, filter every other drain.
Tow a 4500 travel trailer with both on and off.

Last edited:
Does plugging in a trailer connector deactivate the AMf?
I heard this does on some trucks, maybe the ones that shut the engine off I'm not sure.
That's a option I dont want either

Last edited:
Originally Posted by CKN
Originally Posted by Railrust
Originally Posted by AZjeff
You can turn DOD off but the parts are still in there and they've been working for 108k. Luck of the draw if he'll have any problems but good synthetic oil on conservative OCIs does seem to help. The only way to know they won't fail is to replace the DOD parts with normal stuff. Kits out there to do it. A guy at work has a 2007 Silverado 5.3, first year of DOD and the most likely to fail, he bought new now over 160k with no problems. He only short trips, OC is whenever he remembers, couldn't tell you what oil and filter was ever put in at the quicklube places and Wallyworld. Owners on silveradosierra.com have reported failures after turning DOD off doing short OCIs with good stuff. Point is no guarantee, he might run it another 108k if he does nothing or it might fail the week after he turns DOD off. There might have been some mechanical updates by 2010 making it more reliable.

CKN, your 2018 has an Ecotec3 motor that pretty much fixed the failures.

Edit: I thought ls1Mike did a delete and he posted while I was typing....

I have a 2018 and I'm on the Silverado forums all of the time...as far as I can see, they haven't fixed the lifter failures on the newer models. I personally haven't experienced it - hopefully never will - but others sure have. Unfortunately lots of problems on the newer trucks...injectors, torque converters, starters, AC condensers.

We must be on different forums (And I'm three specific GM truck forums)-I haven't seen ANY FAILURES (AFM parts) on the 2018-5.3s. So even if there are-it's not widespread.

I said, "the newer models". The 2014-2018. Those are the same engines through those years. You haven't seen threads a mile long on lifter failures? Now the 2018's have only been out for two years or less, most people haven't even crossed 40,000 miles yet, but the people in the 2014's and 2015's?? Oh boy, there are plenty of lifter failures.

There are threads on the 2019's already with lifter failure.

Originally Posted by dogememe
01 here, so no AFM/DOD. 290k on the original engine. Not sure if tranny is original, might be.

If it is, then your on borrowed time. Those 4L60e are weak from the factory and crap out a lot. Mostly when over 200K miles if not towing all time and being abused

My 07 suburban has same trans and just crapped out at 200K miles. Trans guy said it was most common issue 3-4th clutches going bye bye

Dave

2002 Tahoe with 262k miles on the original 5.3L engine and 4L60E transmission. I have a 2 quart additional capacity transmission pan and a secondary trans cooler. Heat is the big killer of the 4L60E. About 20% of its miles are towing 5000+ lbs and the trans temp stays
The DOD is problem from the 5.3Ls of those years. Get a tune to turn it off.

Originally Posted by GMguy84
Originally Posted by dogememe
01 here, so no AFM/DOD. 290k on the original engine. Not sure if tranny is original, might be.

If it is, then your on borrowed time. Those 4L60e are weak from the factory and crap out a lot. Mostly when over 200K miles if not towing all time and being abused

My 07 suburban has same trans and just crapped out at 200K miles. Trans guy said it was most common issue 3-4th clutches going bye bye

Dave

I've killed three 4L60e transmissions in other vehicles due to the way I drive. So I know all about them. I've toned it down a little bit, but yeah, I'm not expecting it to last forever. Hoping I can get to 350k and then I'd be ok with it going out.

The Carly app on a smrtphone allow you to change all the calibrations and codings in the car, including AFM/MDS/Trans programming/auto lights, literally EVERYTHING can be coded with Carly. its a darn sight cheaper than a plug in box from Range technologies and has significantly more adjustability.

2002 Silverado with 194k miles, no issues other than an oil leak that started at 184k. Replaced rear main seal and it fixed the leak. The transmission has had fluid changed out at 10k miles with AMSOIL and then again at 77k miles with filter change and then again at 193k miles with filter change. Had UOA done on it and all is good. Tows a 4k trailer monthly for the past 3 years. This vehicle has had a Black Bear Performance tune on it since 20k miles. Firmer shifts feel better than what came stock. 3:73 gears and gets 15mpg.

2016 Suburban with the 5.3. 54k miles no issues with it. Just installed a Black Bear Performance tune on it and left AFM on. It averages 19mpg.

Originally Posted by Olas
The Carly app on a smrtphone allow you to change all the calibrations and codings in the car, including AFM/MDS/Trans programming/auto lights, literally EVERYTHING can be coded with Carly. its a darn sight cheaper than a plug in box from Range technologies and has significantly more adjustability.

my mistake - seems you only get basic data on GM platforms. many other platforms allow you to code everything.

I purchased a $50 used unlocked Superchips tuner for my Avalanche to disable AFM/DOD. Cheaper than Range Technologies and it also includes canned tunes for the ECM and TCM. I tried the fuel economy tune once and the SES light illuminated after 100 miles from running too lean. I wasn't surprised, as I don't have much faith in canned tunes. Since then, I only use the tuner for cylinder deactivation.

So my 2017 5.3L is right at 38k and running great. I noticed at 70 MPH it still runs in V4 mode … but at 75 MPH it's always in V8 … do some here think I'm better off doing 75 MPH to keep it in V8 mode ?

(If that 17' is a lifetime keeper)
You should price a new computer for that ride. Stash it away because when that one goes bonkers and it will, you saved money buying it 10 years earlier.
Only compromise is a longer install of all the downloads / updates in those 10 years.

My 04' Colorado computer finally died. Had I bought one to pack away in 2004, I would have saved $400 today.

Originally Posted by CKN
Originally Posted by Railrust
Originally Posted by AZjeff
You can turn DOD off but the parts are still in there and they've been working for 108k. Luck of the draw if he'll have any problems but good synthetic oil on conservative OCIs does seem to help. The only way to know they won't fail is to replace the DOD parts with normal stuff. Kits out there to do it. A guy at work has a 2007 Silverado 5.3, first year of DOD and the most likely to fail, he bought new now over 160k with no problems. He only short trips, OC is whenever he remembers, couldn't tell you what oil and filter was ever put in at the quicklube places and Wallyworld. Owners on silveradosierra.com have reported failures after turning DOD off doing short OCIs with good stuff. Point is no guarantee, he might run it another 108k if he does nothing or it might fail the week after he turns DOD off. There might have been some mechanical updates by 2010 making it more reliable.

CKN, your 2018 has an Ecotec3 motor that pretty much fixed the failures.

Edit: I thought ls1Mike did a delete and he posted while I was typing....

I have a 2018 and I'm on the Silverado forums all of the time...as far as I can see, they haven't fixed the lifter failures on the newer models. I personally haven't experienced it - hopefully never will - but others sure have. Unfortunately lots of problems on the newer trucks...injectors, torque converters, starters, AC condensers.

We must be on different forums (And I'm three specific GM truck forums)-I haven't seen ANY FAILURES (AFM parts) on the 2018-5.3s. So even if there are-it's not widespread.

This^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^The 2018 are pretty solid-there are some torque converter issues. But it's not widespread.

I have 2 5.3 one 2003 with 185k the other 2006 with 202,000.
The 2006 has a rear main leak.
My 2003 avalanche has no leak
I'm glad I dont have a 2007 with the cylindr deactivate.
Brother in law has one just got done fixing it because of G.M great idea.

So lots of folks posting about tunes to turn off the afm. If the parts are there it doesn't make a bit of difference. Heck, the G8 guys have been fighting it for ages to and frequently it's the NON afm lifters that fail.

Dont be afraid of a little tick, these engines like to develop a bit of piston slap and the lifters are not the quietest anyways. Take it easy until it warms up, if it's still ticking then pull it off the road. You CAN mess up the block if it goes so don't drive it if you know a lifter is bad.

The 5.3 is pretty good. Run a quality oil and follow the olm. If you want to baby it then follow the olm and change it at say 30%, or pick your own number, but no need to go by mileage.

The 6l80 is a great transmission. Change the fluid and figure out a regular interval. First time drop the pan and refill. Then pick a number you like and change the fluid at that number. Imo less then 50k for light loading is probably too soon, but an oil analysis can tell you more. If towing COOLER COOLER COOLER! The 6l80 is great but heat is always a killer.

Originally Posted by Snoman002
So lots of folks posting about tunes to turn off the afm. If the parts are there it doesn't make a bit of difference. Heck, the G8 guys have been fighting it for ages to and frequently it's the NON afm lifters that fail.

Dont be afraid of a little tick, these engines like to develop a bit of piston slap and the lifters are not the quietest anyways. Take it easy until it warms up, if it's still ticking then pull it off the road. You CAN mess up the block if it goes so don't drive it if you know a lifter is bad.

The 5.3 is pretty good. Run a quality oil and follow the olm. If you want to baby it then follow the olm and change it at say 30%, or pick your own number, but no need to go by mileage.

The 6l80 is a great transmission. Change the fluid and figure out a regular interval. First time drop the pan and refill. Then pick a number you like and change the fluid at that number. Imo less then 50k for light loading is probably too soon, but an oil analysis can tell you more. If towing COOLER COOLER COOLER! The 6l80 is great but heat is always a killer.

I agree with the 5.3 motors and the Silverado/Sierra that one can use the OLM with confidence. However-just to clarify the only thing it can't adjust for is dusty conditions. Just keep that in mind.

And yes there are ticks in the motor that one DOES NOT NEED to be concerned with.

Back