Mad mike hughes.rip

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted by Yah-Tah-Hey
He should have had a Carl Sagan " Baloney Detector" to understand how gravity affects conglomerate of material over a certain size. As in ROUND.

But there's very little publicity one can drive using Sagan's baloney detection kit.
You just use it and it works.
And the baloney detector requires one to think and act logically.
That's two skills that aren't required for a P.T. Barnum style promotions campaign.

Here a link to the Michael Shermer style baloney detection kit for those of you that are unfamiliar.

Originally Posted by Wolf359
He should have had a Carl Sagan " Baloney Detector" to understand how gravity affects conglomerate of material over a certain size. As in ROUND.

Gravity isn't that simple. Here's one on quantum gravity. My quantum field theory is a little weak, let me know if you know what it means.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/starts...ean-that-quantum-gravity-has-no-symmetry

Quantum effects are only prevalent at the atomic level and really have no part in a macroscopic discussion.

Brush up on you Feynman diagrams before we have a discussion with any sort of merit. And if you have to look up what a Feynman diagram is, you've got A LOT of work to do.

Gravity isn't that simple. Here's one on quantum gravity. My quantum field theory is a little weak, let me know if you know what it means.

Given the scale and velocities at which this flight took place, quantum gravity and relativity are irrelevant.

Simple Newtonian physics applies.

Sadly - his death appears to be the result of basic engineering failure: parachute strength.

Originally Posted by ZeeOSix
Learned the Earth is round the hard way.
eek.gif

lol.gif
... gravity, it's a #$&-+!

Originally Posted by atikovi
Originally Posted by PimTac
N The YT video is stupid. Childish sound effects to spice up what is someone's death.

Again, he was not IN the rocket when it hit the ground.

I didn't see any ejection. If he did eject there was no chute.

Originally Posted by Imp4
If the effort was intended to prove round or flat, why did it need to be manned?

Did this guy REALLY believe it was flat? Sounds more like something to bolster his persona and publicity.

No.

I don't believe for one second that HE believed that the Earth is flat.

He was an eccentric guy who had fun tinkering and building rockets. Most likely had a dream of flying in rockets since he was a kid.

Think about it. The world would be a MUCH more boring place...not to mention the fact that we wouldn't have much of the technology we have...if it weren't for eccentrics who have been willing to take risks.

RIP Rocket Man.

Was this man simply an amateur rocketry enthusiast who failed at math, well that would be sad. What actually happened was a snake oil salesman peddling antiscience for Youtube ad money has finally earned a well deserved (and kinda predictable) Darwin Award.

Not a clue

Originally Posted by john_pifer
Originally Posted by Imp4
If the effort was intended to prove round or flat, why did it need to be manned?

Did this guy REALLY believe it was flat? Sounds more like something to bolster his persona and publicity.

No.

I don't believe for one second that HE believed that the Earth is flat.

He was an eccentric guy who had fun tinkering and building rockets. Most likely had a dream of flying in rockets since he was a kid.

Think about it. The world would be a MUCH more boring place...not to mention the fact that we wouldn't have much of the technology we have...if it weren't for eccentrics who have been willing to take risks.

RIP Rocket Man.

you are correct according to the wiki article:

"Following Hughes' death, Darren Shuster, his public relations representative, stated: "We used flat Earth as a PR stunt... Flat Earth allowed us to get so much publicity that we kept going! I know he didn't believe in flat Earth and it was a schtick."[24][4]"

if some one has different ideas i DO like to hear about them. NO matter how crazy there idea is. because we might learn some thing from them. sorry i have to go now they are taking my crayons away now.

Originally Posted by red7404
if some one has different ideas i DO like to hear about them. NO matter how crazy there idea is. because we might learn some thing from them. sorry i have to go now they are taking my crayons away now.

Guess there's always the "hollow earth" believers. But you can't be a hollow earth and flat earth guy at the same time, lol.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back