Oil additive and effects on oil analysis results

Status
Not open for further replies.
If I add Kreen or Gumout Multi-system Tune up (6oz in 3qt sump), what difference it may make to the oil analysis results. Does anybody have an idea or an educated guess?

Thanks in advance.

Added to the oil? For starters it is probably going to drop the viscosity, it might increase the wear metals as well, perhaps from cleaning, maybe not. Either way if you're looking for an accurate UOA I wouldn't taint what's in the sump with a strong solvent.

Last edited:
Why don't you see for yourself, drain off your oil, take a small sample, then add the oil back to the engine and add the MSTU, then when you're done with your flush collect another sample when you drain it off.

When I had Black Stone perform a UOA on my Acura in signature -- I told them/noted that I used Chevron Techron Complete Fuel System Cleaner in my oil that I sent them. There reply to me -- that the fuel system cleaner would not show up on a UOA. That was about 2 years ago by now.

Dale

Originally Posted by BAJA_05
When I had Black Stone perform a UOA on my Acura in signature -- I told them/noted that I used Chevron Techron Complete Fuel System Cleaner in my oil that I sent them. There reply to me -- that the fuel system cleaner would not show up on a UOA. That was about 2 years ago by now.

Dale

But OP was talking about putting it in the sump. I also bought some of that Gumout and was thinking about putting most in gas and a few ounces in sump before oil change-- have been doing it with Marvel for a couple OCI's.

The oil additive itself won't show on the UOA, but signs of a oil additive may, like reduced viscosity, possibly lowered flash point, and the solvent might get registered as fuel dilution.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by Triple_Se7en
BAJA
Techron Fuel System Cleaner in the oil? Is there a dosage recommendation on the back of Techron bottle?

Nope, it is strictly sold as a fuel additive.

Originally Posted by blufeb95
Why don't you see for yourself, drain off your oil, take a small sample, then add the oil back to the engine and add the MSTU, then when you're done with your flush collect another sample when you drain it off.

Best comment of the thread.

Originally Posted by CT8
Why would you do a uoa on a cleaning interval? I have to ask.

As carbon deposits form throughout the engine, they can trap wear particles in them. If you dissolve those carbon deposits with a flushing oil, those wear particles will go back into suspension. A UOA will show those wear particles.

Originally Posted by RDY4WAR
Originally Posted by CT8

As carbon deposits form throughout the engine, they can trap wear particles in them. If you dissolve those carbon deposits with a flushing oil, those wear particles will go back into suspension. A UOA will show those wear particles.

Not sure how an oil knows it's a 'flushing oil' and that it would dissolves deposits at a rate different than any 'non-flushing oil'. And a solvent would throw the data off even further.

But let's pretend it did. Maybe it had 'intelligent molecules'.....
The result would be an oil with non-representative characteristics for the OCI being run. It would show, relatively speaking, higher wear/contamination rates per mile than is typical for the engine as the 'flushing effect' dissolved all those extra deposits/wear particles.

Now, we all know that oil analysis data is best utilized when it is part of a program that tracks trends over time on an individual engine. So how would a trending analysis program with known controls use data from an OCI that was uncontrolled by definition???

Seems like a bunch of mumbo jumbo but maybe there's something I'm not taking into consideration...

Cheers!!!
cheers3.gif

Originally Posted by CT8

Exactly my thinking. Why set yourself up for unwarranted concern, by tainting the oil with a solvent? Find an oil you like, run it for 2 OCI's, do a UOA after the second OCI. That should give an untainted snapshot of how the oil is doing in the engine, and if there are problems with poor air filtration, fuel dilution, coolant in the oil, etc.

Originally Posted by Triple_Se7en
BAJA
Techron Fuel System Cleaner in the oil? Is there a dosage recommendation on the back of Techron bottle?

Not Techron, Gumout Multisystem, unlike other Gumouts, this lists oil. I plan on 75 percent gas, 25 oil.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back