what ceramic brake pads should i choose?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted by apollo18
been hearing some talk that akebonos makes the delco pads... so does that mean they are just repackaged akebonos act/asp? or an inferior pad/ low quality control versions of the act/asp?

if they are actually just repackaged act/asp pads then thats wierd to me because i thought the oem manufacturer would be cheaper while the delco would be more expensive but on rockauto the akebono act and asp are both more expensive then there ac delco counterpart by about $10 each time

anyone have input?
thx

The Delcos could by any of the above, but most likely either the ACT or possibly something slightly lesser (Akebono used to have a cheaper line called ISD). I seriously doubt they are reboxed ASP

been hearing some talk that akebonos makes the delco pads... so does that mean they are just repackaged akebonos act/asp? or an inferior pad/ low quality control versions of the act/asp?

If they are GM OEM pads, more than likely yes - Akebono's US operations do supply GM with brakes. ACDelco Professional/Advantage are made by the same company as Raybestos.

Originally Posted by meep
I've gone through this a couple times and unfortunately what I've found is the same pad characteristics are not found across all vehicles. I've had great success with akebonos on hondas and a grand cherokee, so-so on volvo and dismal on a gen one tundra.
Good luck! -m

THIS!

Many folks here recommend a brand as though every pad with that name shares the exact same formula. Pads vary by application despite branding.

Also I have found the word "ceramic" to be widely applied to many pads even though actual ceramic may be a very small portion of the materials used.

Originally Posted by nthach

If they are GM OEM pads, more than likely yes - Akebono's US operations do supply GM with brakes. ACDelco Professional/Advantage are made by the same company as Raybestos.
pretty sure RAYBESTOS are Chinese made these days, I sure wish that the AC Delcos were AKEBONO's but doubt it these days.

the AC Delcos model 14D976CH for my truck have BPI-312-FF stamping, made by Brake Parts Inc. seems to be a US based company? but have 3 different manufacturing locations China,India,Mexico, I'll pass on the AC Delcos for my truck

Last edited:
Originally Posted by E150GT
I wouldn't use ceramic. Use semi metallic.

Like you, I really dislike ceramic pads. Sure, many of the newer ones are good. But a high end semi-metallic can't be beat for overall stopping power.

From a design standpoint, many vehicles that successfully use ceramics have larger diameter rotors. As ceramic pads require more pressure to generate the same friction as a semi-metallic.

Originally Posted by jrvn
the AC Delcos model 14D976CH for my truck have BPI-312-FF stamping, made by Brake Parts Inc. seems to be a US based company? but have 3 different manufacturing locations China,India,Mexico, I'll pass on the AC Delcos for my truck

Brake Parts Inc. is also known as "Raybestos". They've had a decent name over the years...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back