Royal purple oil filters have gone downhill?

This is a better pic. Some are punched fully, some barely, some are half punched.

75BDA199-D50A-4507-9664-79821D532A3B.jpeg

Last edited:
I can say from personal experience with several down the centertube louver camera pics, camera angle can and does affect how louvers appear. That is some at one angle look more open than at another angle. Move the camera angle different ones appear more open. As noted, I'd use it. Flashlight down centertube media removed is much more revealing and convincing.

That said, not trying to convince to use. Your vehicle, your call. For reference personally never used an RP filter. Btw, excluding purple color adbv, basically same if not identical Amsoil filters.

Originally Posted by Sayjac
I can say from personal experience with several down the centertube louver camera pics, camera angle can and does affect how louvers appear. That is some at one angle look more open than at another angle. Move the camera angle different ones appear more open. As noted, I'd use it. Flashlight down centertube media removed is much more revealing and convincing.

That said, not trying to convince to use. Your vehicle, your call. For reference personally never used an RP filter. Btw, excluding purple color adbv, basically same if not identical Amsoil filters.

I've used them before and never had an issue. Amazon is sending a replacement so I can see if there is a difference. I agree, it's difficult to get good pictures but when I visually inspect, the inconsistency seems strange. Not bashing the RP product, just wanted to share to make others aware.

I need to pay more attention at what I'm buying. Most of the louver filter discussions here show inconsistency with the design.
I think I'm done with louvers.

I've seen worse... And by a wide margin worse than that....

But you have to feel good about it... And that matters to you. I Understand that too.

Originally Posted by Nutshell
This is a better pic. Some are punched fully, some barely, some are half punched.

Sure looks like a lot of jagged edges on those louvers. Punch out/forming seems very inconsistent.

Just got a new one (next day from Amazon at no charge). Louvers punched perfectly. I'm assuming this a an industry wide issue and not just RP. Check your filters gents.

E64A76FF-8F55-4FD6-B881-FB755A54AA39.jpeg

Last edited:
Those look a lot better. The other ones looked open enough, but they were rough and ill formed.

Originally Posted by ZeeOSix
Those look a lot better. The other ones looked open enough, but they were rough and ill formed.

I agree. I don't think it would have been an issue but I'd rather be safe that sorry.

Originally Posted by mv6845
Nearly $12-15 for an oil filter is ridiculous.

Absolutely! Oil filters are cheap and get tossed. You could run a cheap Supertech and a Royal Purple oil filter, both made by the same company, for a manufactures drain interval and see 0 difference on a UOA. You're just paying for marketing BS at $15. Fools born every day.

Nearly $12-15 for an oil filter is ridiculous.
Absolutely! Oil filters are cheap and get tossed. You could run a cheap Supertech and a Royal Purple oil filter, both made by the same company, for a manufactures drain interval and see 0 difference on a UOA. You're just paying for marketing BS at $15. Fools born every day.

Agreeing with yourself are you?

I don't know this for a fact but it's just something I've noticed when buying products off of Amazon.

Seems Amazon isn't vetting the folks selling things like they used to.

My guess is people are buying either factory defects or blemished products at a discount then selling these said products as new or original at retail price.

This is how people are making money off Amazon.

In this case the supplier probably bought cases of old stock filters that may have been blemished but bought cheap.

Then you go to Amazon and bought what you see in the photo.

So be mindful who the seller is and don't be afraid to contact the seller prior to purchase to ask if the product is indeed "new" not "new old stock" or a factory second.

Just my thoughts. Seems this is becoming more and more common these days.

Originally Posted by Jeffs2006EvoIX
I don't know this for a fact but it's just something I've noticed when buying products off of Amazon.

Seems Amazon isn't vetting the folks selling things like they used to.

My guess is people are buying either factory defects or blemished products at a discount then selling these said products as new or original at retail price.

This is how people are making money off Amazon.

In this case the supplier probably bought cases of old stock filters that may have been blemished but bought cheap.

Then you go to Amazon and bought what you see in the photo.

So be mindful who the seller is and don't be afraid to contact the seller prior to purchase to ask if the product is indeed "new" not "new old stock" or a factory second.

Just my thoughts. Seems this is becoming more and more common these days.

I've ended up with fake NGK plugs off Amazon so such as that isn't surprising.

Louvers looked good drawn on paper in engineering, but factory floor production reality is another thing. They really have to inspect each filter. We are just looking by eye at those nice louvers. When looked at with magnification the edges are still saw blades I would bet. Pressurized oil will no doubt shed some of the steel off those edges imo at least initially. I have used them and nothing happened of course but I think technically the problem is there.

Every edge of a punched metal hole or formed metal louvers is going to look like a "saw blade" under magnification. If those parts are cleaned well after the manufacturing process then the oil flowing past the metal shouldn't shed any more metal than any other metal surface that oil flows over throughout the oiling system.

The Royal Purple filters I buy and use are identical to the Amsoil filters that are specified for my applications. The color is different but that is the only difference I can tell upon dissection. I use Amsoil oil and other products because it has proven itself to be worth the few dollars extra but I go to my local Summit Racing to buy the Royal Purple filters. Each Royal Purple filter I buy is $12,99 for each application and I've never had a issue with any of them. I buy the RP filters because they're the same as the Amsoil for $3 less per application.

I'm no expert but the OP's picture does not appear to be rust but rather the seam sealing glue that is applied to reduce the chance of leakage under high pressure. As for Calumet buying Royal Purple, they also own BelRay and TruFuel, they own several refineries and they are a major player in the lubricants and hydrocarbons industry. They're not a corporate raider but rather a major producer of lubricants, fuels, asphalts and other industrial chemicals. Buy a few shares and voice your opinions at the shareholders meetings if you're concerned about their product quality. CLMT is a cheap investment right now.

Back